U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2015, 08:11 PM

12,603 posts, read 35,179,921 times

Advertisements

What is the law about how far an establishment that sells liquor has to be from a church? I heard today that one thing that might be holding up this shopping center is that there's a church across the street from where Publix is supposed to go. I do know that this particular church (Mormon) is bursting at the seams and would gladly sell their property to build a new facility somewhere else if it comes to that. The person who told me this seemed to know what he was talking about so I was wondering if it's plausible.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2015, 08:33 AM

928 posts, read 1,085,515 times
I don't think this is the hold up...it depends on the local municipality....normally codified as 500 ft. Proximity to the LDS church would have been a known item prior to selling Publix on the spot. I wouldn't believe that the developers would purchase the LDS property to further their build.

Are we sure it's less than 500 ft between the church and Publix?

Old 09-14-2015, 08:36 AM

Perhaps so....pretty close...but this wouldn't affect the whole of the development...I would think.

Old 09-14-2015, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tragenvol View Post
I don't think this is the hold up...it depends on the local municipality....normally codified as 500 ft. Proximity to the LDS church would have been a known item prior to selling Publix on the spot. I wouldn't believe that the developers would purchase the LDS property to further their build.

Are we sure it's less than 500 ft between the church and Publix?
Yeah I'm not sure what the distance is, and that new wine and cheese store downtown is surely closer to First Baptist than Publix will be to the LDS church. The person I talked to seemed to know what he was talking about, though. Maybe he was saying it because he knows the LDS church is going to be very interested in selling their property in the very near future and assumed this was the reason. In one of the renderings, the back of the Publix store was almost directly across the street from the LDS church so it might be too close, I don't know.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 09-14-2015, 03:12 PM

I'm sure the developers could've have flip flopped the two anchor tenants had this been this issue...at least one would hope it would not progress as far without considering Publix's alcohol sales.

Old 09-14-2015, 03:54 PM

175 posts, read 203,926 times
I don't believe this rumor is accurate. The issues for hurdles and delays have been environmental, TVA, etc.

Old 09-22-2015, 01:37 PM

This was updated today, but I don't see any changes. Shows updated on 9/22/15

NE of Interstate Dr and S Walnut Ave Cookeville, TN 38501 - Retail Property For Lease - commercialsearch.com

Old 09-22-2015, 01:56 PM

I don't believe there is any reliable information on this page.....it contradicts the total square footage; as well, stating its available Summer 2015. This website is obviously not maintained.

However, the most reliable information I saw recently was that the property was Off Market...which indicates that it is fully leased. The most recent renderings that were pulled from the East TN developer indicated such with actual tenants being presented in those renderings.

So, basically to sum up...I wouldn't rely upon any information from commercialsearch.com or loopnet.com for that matter....these websites are much like those websites who present the deal of the day and then remain promoting that deal for years to come no matter how far beyond the scope of that particular sale.

Old 10-13-2015, 01:49 PM

This was posted 10/12/15 on the Herald-Citizen.

KNOW: Status of retail project?

Last edited by rolex123; 10-13-2015 at 02:21 PM..

Old 10-25-2015, 04:12 PM

Some public notices from the Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation have been placed at this property inviting the public to make comments through Nov 22 regarding the environmental impact this development will have on the area's wetlands. One of the signs says this development will "impact 2.70 acres of exceptional Tennessee wetlands and 0.56 acres of non-exceptional Tennessee wetlands," whatever that means. The hearing is scheduled for Thursday December 3. The applicant is Browning Development.

I hope this will be just a formality and that dirt can start moving soon after the hearing.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville