U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2015, 07:58 PM

175 posts, read 203,625 times

Advertisements

I'm hoping it's a formality as well and this is standard procedure. I'm thinking that's good news it's moving forward. The "wetlands" were man made from dirt being shifted around from the other restaurants next to the property.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2015, 08:01 PM

191 posts, read 387,275 times
Thanks for the post, JMT.

Now that the signs are up the tree huggers will be down in that hole lookin' for Snail Darters faster than a mongoose can catch a snake. If they look real close up in them power lines they might even see a Spotted Owl that has lost its way from the PNW......

In the meantime they can still do their grocery shopping at Walmart/Kroger/Food Lion My family is eagerly awaiting the Publix store !!

here is an interesting article, the "Did You Know" paragraph is great for a laugh if one has a sense of humor!!

Tellico Dam still generating debate - News Sentinel Story

In related news, I am still waiting (not really) for an update of the Bunker Hill Road Tunnel from Sam's Club over to somewhere near the THP HQ. Page 74 of this:

http://www.cookeville-tn.gov/uploads...vePlan2020.pdf

6. Construction of Bunker Hill Road
Tunnel. This project involves the
construction of a tunnel under Interstate
40 to connect the southern section of
Bunker Hill Road with the northern
section. Funding would include federal,
state, and local monies.

Something of a short cut to Publix for those of us in S Ckvl. But In my opinion, more good money thrown down the drain.

Last edited by scrantonscrambler; 10-25-2015 at 08:23 PM..

Old 10-26-2015, 11:55 AM

920 posts, read 1,075,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantonscrambler View Post
Thanks for the post, JMT.

Now that the signs are up the tree huggers will be down in that hole lookin' for Snail Darters faster than a mongoose can catch a snake. If they look real close up in them power lines they might even see a Spotted Owl that has lost its way from the PNW......

In the meantime they can still do their grocery shopping at Walmart/Kroger/Food Lion My family is eagerly awaiting the Publix store !!

here is an interesting article, the "Did You Know" paragraph is great for a laugh if one has a sense of humor!!

Tellico Dam still generating debate - News Sentinel Story

In related news, I am still waiting (not really) for an update of the Bunker Hill Road Tunnel from Sam's Club over to somewhere near the THP HQ. Page 74 of this:

state, and local monies.

Something of a short cut to Publix for those of us in S Ckvl. But In my opinion, more good money thrown down the drain.
We're desperately awaiting the Publix store. This Kroger's monopoly is not benefiting UC grocery shoppers from a service or price standpoint. Metro Nashville Kroger stores are much more cognizant of the shopper.

When was the last time you saw the basket stand full at the main entrance to Cookeville Kroger? If at all, it was first thing in the morning....because I guarantee more times than not, you'll see it empty. Go to any Publix, basket stands are placed throughout the store, not only to encourage you to purchase more items than your arms can carry, but these are also helpful to those of us that go in for only an item or two but then decide to by more items than allowed through the express check out lane.

A week or two ago, I went visited our Kroger early in the morning...baskets o'plenty were available. I saw one of the top managers in the produce section working on a display, I came back later in the afternoon that day, the manager was still in that area near the produce working on displays and the basket stand was empty yet again.

If it weren't for fuel points, I'd abandon our Kroger altogether once Publix opens its doors in Cookeville. Kroger will need to change its "we're the only game in town" attitude.

I challenge all of you to find baskets available in that store at the front entrance on an afternoon...shock me with evidence that doesn't support my contention.

Old 10-26-2015, 12:53 PM

12,559 posts, read 35,077,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantonscrambler View Post

state, and local monies.

To show how long ago that was written, the northern part of Bunker Hill Road is now Walnut Avenue. I still hear some city leaders talk about eventually building that tunnel under I-40 but I agree that, for now at least, that money could be better spent elsewhere, and I'm not sure just how much traffic relief it would bring. However, if the area around Sam's continues to develop (I could see a Home Depot down there) and with the new Publix/Academy Sports shopping center north of I-40, then I could see the city pursuing it.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Last edited by JMT; 10-26-2015 at 02:15 PM..

Old 10-26-2015, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tragenvol View Post
We're desperately awaiting the Publix store. This Kroger's monopoly is not benefiting UC grocery shoppers from a service or price standpoint. Metro Nashville Kroger stores are much more cognizant of the shopper.

When was the last time you saw the basket stand full at the main entrance to Cookeville Kroger? If at all, it was first thing in the morning....because I guarantee more times than not, you'll see it empty. Go to any Publix, basket stands are placed throughout the store, not only to encourage you to purchase more items than your arms can carry, but these are also helpful to those of us that go in for only an item or two but then decide to by more items than allowed through the express check out lane.

A week or two ago, I went visited our Kroger early in the morning...baskets o'plenty were available. I saw one of the top managers in the produce section working on a display, I came back later in the afternoon that day, the manager was still in that area near the produce working on displays and the basket stand was empty yet again.

If it weren't for fuel points, I'd abandon our Kroger altogether once Publix opens its doors in Cookeville. Kroger will need to change its "we're the only game in town" attitude.

I challenge all of you to find baskets available in that store at the front entrance on an afternoon...shock me with evidence that doesn't support my contention.
YES. Kroger needs to be challenged. I was living in Atlanta when Publix came sweeping into town, and it totally caught Kroger off guard. While the Cookeville Kroger is nicer than plenty of other Krogers (like the dumpy one in McMinnville), it'll pale in comparison to Publix, especially a brand new Publix. I could see Kroger building a newer store once Publix opens just out of sheer necessity.

I don't even go to Kroger in Cookeville anymore. Like you said, they hardly ever have baskets available unless you go early in the morning or super late at night. Publix customer service blows Kroger out of the water, and the quality of Publix-brand products is a bajillion times better than Kroger-brand products.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 10-26-2015, 01:44 PM

20,679 posts, read 21,832,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
YES. Kroger needs to be challenged. I was living in Atlanta when Publix came sweeping into town, and it totally caught Kroger off guard. While the Cookeville Kroger is nicer than plenty of other Krogers (like the dumpy one in McMinnville), it'll pale in comparison to Publix, especially a brand new Publix. I could see Kroger building a newer store once Publix opens just out of sheer necessity.

I don't even go to Kroger in Cookeville anymore. Like you said, they hardly ever have baskets available unless you go early in the morning or super late at night. Publix customer service blows Kroger out of the water, and the quality of Publix-brand products is a bajillion times better than Kroger-brand products.
I can see Publix expanding further in Tennessee and in Kroger's footprint with additional stores. Publix's new distribution center in McCalla, Alabama will help support existing and additional stores. It remains to be seen if further growth into Memphis, western Tennessee and Mississippi.

Kroger is active adding stores or replacing and expanding existing stores in the Marketplace hypermarket format. These stores compete against Walmart's Supercenters and Publix. I do not know if Kroger plans to expand across the southeastern United States by entering or re-entering markets.

Old 10-26-2015, 04:47 PM

230 posts, read 335,318 times
Quote:
I don't even go to Kroger in Cookeville anymore. Like you said, they hardly ever have baskets available unless you go early in the morning or super late at night.
Out of curiosity, where do you grocery shop in Cookeville?

Old 10-26-2015, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogCross View Post
Out of curiosity, where do you grocery shop in Cookeville?
Depends what I'm looking for or what part of town I'm in. But generally: Aldi, Food Lion (the one on Jackson), Spring Street Supermarket, and sometimes Walmart--usually the one in Algood.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 10-28-2015, 04:17 PM

According to today's H-C, Browning Development is planning on buying two properties totaling 35 acres in the Falling Water River watershed four miles south of town in order to compensate for the 3.26 acres of wetlands that will be lost with this new shopping center. In those 35 acres they intend to restore 10.5 acres, enhance 14.8 acres, and preserve 9.7 acres of wetlands. I'm no expert in these kinds of things, but it sure sounds like they are very serious about making this development happen.

Interstate Drive retail development faces first hurdle

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 10-28-2015, 06:12 PM

421 posts, read 383,204 times
Quote:
According to today's H-C, Browning Development is planning on buying two properties totaling 35 acres in the Falling Water River watershed four miles south of town in order to compensate for the 3.26 acres of wetlands that will be lost with this new shopping center. In those 35 acres they intend to restore 10.5 acres, enhance 14.8 acres, and preserve 9.7 acres of wetlands. I'm no expert in these kinds of things, but it sure sounds like they are very serious about making this development happen.

Interstate Drive retail development faces first hurdle
I don't get it. If they purchase property along the Falling Water River and restore it does that mean they will then donate the property back to the people? What exactly is restoring the property?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville