U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2016, 08:05 AM

917 posts, read 1,071,443 times

Advertisements

Also signs on 5-lane Interstate Drive.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2016, 08:41 AM

12,545 posts, read 35,017,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tragenvol View Post
Also signs on 5-lane Interstate Drive.
Yeah I think the Sierra Club is full of it. It's aggravating that they're being such jerks about this when they'd make a lot more friends if they'd just admit defeat and bow out gracefully.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession

Last edited by JMT; 04-24-2016 at 09:46 AM..

Old 04-24-2016, 09:18 AM

20,664 posts, read 21,750,276 times
Unfortunately, opponents will assume their opinions to be fact when the studies have been completed and the facts in place. It seems the Sierra Club has lost its usefulness towards the Shoppes at Eagle Pointe.

Old 04-24-2016, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Yeah I think the Sierra Club is full of it. It's aggravating that they're being such jerks about this when they'd make a lot more friends if they'd just admit defeat and now out gracefully.
It appears to be one single person who just happens to be an attorney....remember, Dr. Womack and other Sierra Club members are for this project.

Old 04-24-2016, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Unfortunately, opponents will assume their opinions to be fact when the studies have been completed and the facts in place. It seems the Sierra Club has lost its usefulness towards the Shoppes at Eagle Pointe.
Agreed on all points.

Quote:
It appears to be one single person who just happens to be an attorney....remember, Dr. Womack and other Sierra Club members are for this project.
That's what I keep telling myself. And it's not just Dr. Womack (Cookeville's vice mayor). It's also the head engineer for the city who's also a Sierra Club member and is also for the project. And the city has brought in a litany of environmental engineers who have all said that this development is not going to have a negative impact on the environment, that on the contrary the developers are bending over backwards to protect the environment including the wetlands they're purchasing south of town. I just don't understand what that one lawyer's beef is against this shopping center.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession

Old 04-24-2016, 10:02 AM

All true; I think it's the ideal this person is more interested in...not this project, and sometimes idealism gets in the way of common sense. This project is a win-win for all parties.

Old 04-24-2016, 07:19 PM

Quote:
All true; I think it's the ideal this person is more interested in...not this project, and sometimes idealism gets in the way of common sense. This project is a win-win for all parties.
I do like what the mayor posted on the city's Facebook page:

If you want more retail options in Cookeville, such as Publix, Panera, Academy Sports and several others, then mark your calendar to attend this important public hearing May 3rd. A few obstructionists, most of whom don't live or pay taxes here, are causing frivolous delays that are costing our city millions of dollars in tax revenue and hundreds of new jobs. The TDEC meeting is May 3rd at 5 at the TDEC office on Willow, just past the interstate going toward burgess falls.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession

Old 04-24-2016, 09:41 PM

191 posts, read 386,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Yeah I think the Sierra Club is full of it.
This organization is a bunch of progressive, hypocritical, American job killing, pay-off taking, tax dodging & partisan phonies. As an older person who has worked in the fields and trenches my entire life, I simply don't understand how anyone could pay dues to this organization... it is beyond belief... just do a web search re: Sierra Club's budget and funding. So sad the politicians are willing to kiss up and pay dues to 'em if they are truly sincere about obstructionists and moving our city/county forward. Oh wait, I already used the word hypocrite.

Months ago in this thread I predicted this latest hitch in the giddyup.

See you all on May 3rd.

Oops, almost forgot, where are all the tree huggers & turtle egg lovers with protest signs down at the swamp mitigation project @ the Herbert Garrett/ Cane Creek/ Mine Lick Creek/ new interchange ?

Old 04-24-2016, 10:16 PM
JRR

5,499 posts, read 3,197,865 times
This sort of brings back memories of living in Vero Beach FL many years ago. There was no grocery store on the barrier island and some people had to drive 5 or 6 miles to get to one. Publix bought a piece of land and was going to build a store there. This would not be a strip shopping center, but a beautifully landscaped store and parking area designed to fit with the area.

Some of the wealthy people in the area decided that having a store there would denigrate their quality of life (their actual words). No matter what Publix offered to do to make it work, it wasn't enough for them and they fought it tooth and nail . Finally after about a year, Publix gave it up.

Hopefully that won't happen in Cookeville as I sure would like to have a Publix there (slong with the other new businesses) after we make the move.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:06 AM

421 posts, read 381,244 times
It's aggravating to see more attempts to road block this development wanted by the community. It's even more aggravating to see the resistance coming from a supposed environmental group that seems to act more like a political tool for special interest groups. I don't have a problem with environmental groups who are truly interested in protecting the environment. There are major environmental catastrophes happening today like the massive marine die-off along the west coast of North America or the massive contamination of ground water caused by fracking but in these cases that need environmental groups to speak-out they are dead silent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville