Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-13-2008, 11:26 PM
 
Location: San Diego, California
196 posts, read 641,006 times
Reputation: 115

Advertisements

Greetings. My wife and I are looking to move soon and we have been looking at many states. In Tennessee we have narrowed it down to Cookeville, Crossville & Greenville. The areas look beautiful but we do have one concern.
After looking up the crime in all three areas it seems quite high. Greenville and Crossville shocked us due to the fact we thought there would be more a a "elderly" element of people in those towns. Could any of you that have lived in those towns give me a bluntly honest opinion of the crime in the towns I have mentioned? Assaults, burglary and theft seem to be very high in all three areas. Would hate to have my house broken in to all the time. I am wondering if most of those type of crimes occur within the city or in the country. I know that every town has some sort of drug problem but I have read posts that those areas have heavy meth problems which is a huge concern of mine. Can anyone at all please give me your blunt and honest opinions please? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-14-2008, 06:29 AM
 
13,359 posts, read 40,014,992 times
Reputation: 10814
Quote:
Originally Posted by lutarian View Post
Greetings. My wife and I are looking to move soon and we have been looking at many states. In Tennessee we have narrowed it down to Cookeville, Crossville & Greenville. The areas look beautiful but we do have one concern.
After looking up the crime in all three areas it seems quite high. Greenville and Crossville shocked us due to the fact we thought there would be more a a "elderly" element of people in those towns. Could any of you that have lived in those towns give me a bluntly honest opinion of the crime in the towns I have mentioned? Assaults, burglary and theft seem to be very high in all three areas. Would hate to have my house broken in to all the time. I am wondering if most of those type of crimes occur within the city or in the country. I know that every town has some sort of drug problem but I have read posts that those areas have heavy meth problems which is a huge concern of mine. Can anyone at all please give me your blunt and honest opinions please? Thank you.
If you've been reading posts about crime in Tennessee, then you should also have read some of the explanations that have been given.

The most logical explanation is that in Tennessee EVERY crime is reported. For example, if someone were to break into your home, steal your kitchen knife and kill your dog, around here that would be counted as three separate crimes. In many other places, particularly large cities which have a lot more crime, that's all counted as one crime.

I can tell you that when I lived in Memphis, my home was burgled 4 times in 18 months, but I reported only 2 of them because I didn't want my insurance dropped (which happened anyway, grrrrrrrr). In the 22 years I've been going to Cookeville, not one of my friends there has ever had anything happen to them. I'm sure people can say the same thing about Crossville and Greeneville. People do NOT have their homes broken into all the time around here. If that were the case, don't you think we would be hearing about it more? Of all the posts about those three places here at c-d, how many are about crime? Almost zero. That should tell you something.

Of the three cities you mentioned, Crossville has the highest crime rate, Cookeville has the lowest. Keep in mind that Cookeville, being home to 11,000 college students, probably sees more of certain crimes than other places even though Tennessee Tech has the lowest crime rate of all TBI schools in the state.

Still, I would feel very safe in each of those cities. Check out the local newspapers which print police reports and see for yourself what's going on. And remember, the way that crime is reported varies from place to place, and that has a lot to do with the perceived higher crime rate around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2008, 07:54 AM
 
Location: Beautiful East TN!!
7,280 posts, read 21,340,283 times
Reputation: 2787
You can check out this thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/kings...-stats-tn.html
for an explanation on how crimes are reported (which makes up those stats) from a local police Dept.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2008, 10:14 AM
 
375 posts, read 1,098,622 times
Reputation: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post

I can tell you that when I lived in Memphis, my home was burgled 4 times in 18 months, but I reported only 2 of them because I didn't want my insurance dropped (which happened anyway, grrrrrrrr). In the 22 years I've been going to Cookeville, not one of my friends there has ever had anything happen to them. I'm sure people can say the same thing about Crossville and Greeneville. People do NOT have their homes broken into all the time around here. If that were the case, don't you think we would be hearing about it more? Of all the posts about those three places here at c-d, how many are about crime? Almost zero. That should tell you something.

When I lived in Cookeville my neighbor's apartment was burgled and they attempted to get into mine but were spooked by someone coming home before they were successful. Granted as a poor college student I didn't live in the best part of town. Theft was fairly common but violence was rare. It does seem to be getting worse though. Check the Herald-Citizen, there have been three armed home invasion robberies in the past couple of weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2008, 03:33 PM
 
13,359 posts, read 40,014,992 times
Reputation: 10814
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarddawg View Post
When I lived in Cookeville my neighbor's apartment was burgled and they attempted to get into mine but were spooked by someone coming home before they were successful. Granted as a poor college student I didn't live in the best part of town. Theft was fairly common but violence was rare. It does seem to be getting worse though. Check the Herald-Citizen, there have been three armed home invasion robberies in the past couple of weeks.
Oh I'm not doubting that there's crime. There's crime everywhere, and I'm sure it's getting worse everywhere. But of the hundreds of posts in this forum about Cookeville, Crossville, Greeneville, Knoxville, the Tri Cities, Chattanooga, etc., the vast, overwhelming majority are very positive. And in this day of whiners and negativity, it seems to me that if there was a lot of crime going on around here, we would've heard about it here in this forum. It's not like people don't post negative things about Tennessee, either; but crime isn't one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2008, 10:49 PM
 
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow in "OZ "
24,774 posts, read 28,561,535 times
Reputation: 32870
So what is the crime rate for Crossville seeing their seven thousand( last figure I saw with in city limits) in the city,or do they count total number of people in Cumberland County...... And what is the crime from most too least. Or is it do too the growing meth problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2008, 10:30 AM
 
Location: Cookeville, TN
129 posts, read 457,156 times
Reputation: 58
Smile Cookeville Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutarian View Post
Greetings. My wife and I are looking to move soon and we have been looking at many states. In Tennessee we have narrowed it down to Cookeville, Crossville & Greenville. The areas look beautiful but we do have one concern.
After looking up the crime in all three areas it seems quite high. Greenville and Crossville shocked us due to the fact we thought there would be more a a "elderly" element of people in those towns. Could any of you that have lived in those towns give me a bluntly honest opinion of the crime in the towns I have mentioned? Assaults, burglary and theft seem to be very high in all three areas. Would hate to have my house broken in to all the time. I am wondering if most of those type of crimes occur within the city or in the country. I know that every town has some sort of drug problem but I have read posts that those areas have heavy meth problems which is a huge concern of mine. Can anyone at all please give me your blunt and honest opinions please? Thank you.
I've lived in Cookeville for 32 years and out of my circle of friends and acquaintances, I know of NO ONE who has had their home broken into. This is not saying, however, that it doesn't occur. We are a VERY SAFE town compared to almost anywhere you could go.

The benefits of Cookeville far outweigh Crossville (ie., university, restaurants, proximity to Nashville, better schools, better planned community, etc.)...

Of course, I'm partial...but realistic...contact me if I can be of further assistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2008, 10:41 AM
 
4 posts, read 13,278 times
Reputation: 13
I grew up in South Florida and relocated to Cookeville several years ago. We love Cookeville and feel quite safe here. There is, of course, crime where ever you go but I do feel much less here. I still lock my doors compulsively (as a city girl I probably always will) but for many of the locals that is still a foreign concept. My daughter left her purse outside a shopping center on our car last week. We came out almost an hour later and it was still there. I can say with certainty that would never happen back home.

I feel very comfortable telling you that this is a good and safe place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2008, 12:34 PM
 
271 posts, read 934,863 times
Reputation: 151
I started a "Crossville scary news" post a year ago ( //www.city-data.com/forum/tenne...-tn-scary.html ), as I wanted to find out if the locals thought the same. The response was it was a large county, but the nature of the crimes is what shocked me...

News at the time 1 year ago in the Crossville Chronicle:

Crossville Chronicle, Crossville, TN - Area News



• Meridian resident escapes flames of house fire
• Suspect in sexual assault of boy described as also being a victim
• Crossville man indicted in apartment complex stabbing
• Family safe following Lake Tansi blaze
• Man claims robbery at knifepoint; couple questioned
• Probe under way in death of no-show defendant
• UPDATE: Four-count indictment charges doctor with providing pot to kids
• Motion for acquittal, new trial in Stone murder case denied
• Judge sentences Oakes to four years in Stone murder
• Readers sound off on school overcrowding
• Execution murder plea bargain troubles judge
• Defendant to pay jury costs after failing to appear for meth trial
• $1,100 fine given in drunken driving case
• Stabbing victim gives vague description of attacker
• 35 mailboxes targeted by vandals
• Arson believed cause of fire that destroyed Daddy's Creek Bar
• Woman charged with knife assault on three men
• Judge serious about skipping school
• What's the best way to solve elementary school overcrowding?
• BIGGEST NEWS OF THE YEAR: Tornado, murder, Moses top the list
• Bond denied Hughes in shooting death case
• Grinch breaks into church, steals presents
• Persinger pleads to sexual battery
• Judge: Wife was primary aggressor; assault case tossed
• Defendant in utility district theft charged with probation violation
• Shotgun assault leads to attempted murder charge
• Body discovered in storage shed that of missing woman
• $8 million price tag for CCHS updates
• State seeking death penalty in mother-daughter murders

//www.city-data.com/forum/tenne...-tn-scary.html

-----

I visited Crossville last year and wasn't impressed...a strange mix of have and have nots...either 10 broken down vehicles in the front yard of a 30 year old single wide (why the front yard versus the back???), or a $250,000 brand new house on land over-valued by at least 4-10 fold (Some $800/acre land 7 years ago now selling for almost $10,000 per acre). The out of state imports are pumping up the land/home values, and the locals are getting hosed IMHO...

I drove through Cookeville and was much more impressed...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2008, 12:48 PM
 
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow in "OZ "
24,774 posts, read 28,561,535 times
Reputation: 32870
Crossville Chronicle, Crossville, TN - This crime stinks; someone steals city animal trap with skunk inside


Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Last edited by Yac; 09-13-2018 at 05:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top