Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 10:37 PM

421 posts, read 1,684,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
There's a nice article in today's paper about this conference center. Auxin CEO David Allen said that in the next couple of months they'll release more details, but so far they're planning a 20,000 square foot conference center with a four-story hotel surrounded by retail shops. With a lack of available retail space in the West Side, the inclusion of retail shops in this project should be a welcomed addition to downtown.

I'd love to know what hotel company they're working with, and I'm eager to see some renderings of what this project will look like.

Convention center plans move forward | Herald Citizen
The initial rumor on the hotel was Hilton Garden Inn & Suites.

Another rumor is that the Gaw's made close to half a million dollars on their little buy & sell of 9 S. Cedar Ave. I bet the "high rise condo" was nothing but a ruse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2016, 08:02 AM

13,336 posts, read 39,726,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firepower View Post
The initial rumor on the hotel was Hilton Garden Inn & Suites.

Another rumor is that the Gaw's made close to half a million dollars on their little buy & sell of 9 S. Cedar Ave. I bet the "high rise condo" was nothing but a ruse.
I'd be happy with a Hilton Garden Inn & Suites as long as it looks like the more urban ones they're building in places like downtown Asheville NC and downtown Athens GA.

As for the Gaws, if what you're saying is true, I think that's pretty despicable. I suppose if they were to turn around and use that $500k to help finance a condo project downtown, I'll be happy.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 08-11-2016, 12:58 PM

It's looking more promising.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Last edited by JMT; 09-04-2016 at 07:55 PM..

Old 08-12-2016, 08:39 AM

1,114 posts, read 1,581,774 times
Awesome!

Old 08-12-2016, 02:12 PM

299 posts, read 286,532 times
Whatever plans they have need to include some public parking because this development is going to take away a huge portion of the parking for the West Side.

Old 09-17-2017, 07:12 AM

More information was revealed about this development at Friday's meeting of the city's Board of Zoning Appeals, including a couple of renderings. A five-story Hilton Garden Inn will anchor this development and will include restaurant and retail space, a 5-story parking garage, and a 22,500 square feet conference center that can accommodate 1,300 people.

In all, this will cover 5 acres downtown and will cost $35 million to develop. There are a couple more steps the developer needs to go through before construction can start, but it's looking very promising.

Downtown conference center granted parking variance | Herald Citizen

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 09-17-2017, 01:59 PM

299 posts, read 286,532 times
And just as I suspected, parking will not be free once this development is finished. I get that the developer has to pay for this project, but charging for parking in a small town like ours is not cool. At all. I've seen way too many parking lots in way too many cities constantly increase rates with no additional benefits to users. Very disappointing that this is going to be the case. And potentially harmful for our thriving West Side.

Old 09-19-2017, 04:46 PM

320 posts, read 534,910 times
Needed, but highly underwhelming.

Old 02-17-2018, 07:24 AM

Apparently, there are some updates to the design of the downtown hotel and conference center. From CityScape's Facebook page:

CityScape has exciting news. Taste of the Town will take place in the parking lots of the Wilson Building. This historic building will be replaced with the city’s much anticipated Convention Center and Hilton Garden Inn, being developed by Auxin. This event will be a red carpet premier that will give members a first look at the new architectural renderings of what is to come! Taste of the Town is a Thank You party for all the patron members of CityScape who support our efforts in renovating and maintaining the historical integrity of downtown Cookeville. Become a member of CityScape and we hope to see you May 19 at Taste of the Town.

https://www.facebook.com/CityScapeCo...IBMq-jgKs7Ezwo

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 05-26-2018, 07:53 AM

Fencing is up around the construction site.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville