Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 05:30 AM

666 posts, read 762,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
I'm not so sure that this relocation is such great news for Cookeville or Putnam County. Is it really a benefit to an area to increase the number of jobs that pay $3/hour LESS than unskilled labors make?

If these jobs were high paying skilled jobs, that's one thing, but bringing in nearly 1,000 jobs that pay substantially less than unskilled labor makes is not my idea of great economic news.
I'm thinking the $3 /hr less means they hire new entry level employees as apposed to existing employee transfers who have moved up from entry level wages.

No matter how you look at it ... it's a win for Cookeville, Putnam county and the state. The company could have opened the new factory anywhere including outside the US. With the population growth in Cookeville the increase of job opportunities is a good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2016, 07:03 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,943,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumeby View Post
I'm thinking the $3 /hr less means they hire new entry level employees as apposed to existing employee transfers who have moved up from entry level wages.

No matter how you look at it ... it's a win for Cookeville, Putnam county and the state. The company could have opened the new factory anywhere including outside the US. With the population growth in Cookeville the increase of job opportunities is a good thing.
^^This. In addition, not all of these 1000 jobs are going to be low-wage grunt work. Ficosa/Panasonic is introducing a lot of technology into this facility which means they're going to need a lot of IT people in addition to engineers, plant managers, HR/Personnel management, etc. It'll also be a boon for some of the programs at TTU to have another place where TTU students can do studies and internships.

Besides, there are many around here who are looking forward to this plant opening. I have a neighbor who makes minimum wage at a convenience store in Smith County who is hoping to get on at Ficosa. He said he'd rather make $10/hour working regular, full-time hours with benefits at Ficosa than working odd hours without benefits at a convenience store. Places like Jackson County and Smith County (and even Putnam County) are full of good, hard-working people like that. And like you said, Jumeby, these jobs could easily have gone to Mexico or China.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Last edited by JMT; 03-12-2016 at 10:26 AM..

Old 03-12-2016, 11:06 AM

1,115 posts, read 1,606,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Places like Jackson County and Smith County (and even Putnam County) are full of good, hard-working people like that. And like you said, Jumeby, these jobs could easily have gone to Mexico or China.
And certainly will help with the loss of 100 jobs in Jackson County with the Eaton closings.

Old 03-12-2016, 12:09 PM

666 posts, read 762,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tragenvol View Post
And certainly will help with the loss of 100 jobs in Jackson County with the Eaton closings.
According to the Jackson county mayor, “It’s 40 percent of our manufacturing workforce.”

Old 03-12-2016, 12:13 PM

5,970 posts, read 3,711,573 times
Here's the way I see it. If you consider ALL the jobs in the Cookeville area, I'm pretty sure that the average wage would be considerably greater than $10 per hour. If you add 900 jobs to the local market which pay about $10 per hour, then you are lowering the average wage for the area. You are also increasing the number of people who live in the area. This means you'll have a lower average wage/income per person.

If you have lower average wage/income per person, then the people who DO make a higher wage will have to pay more in taxes and fees to maintain the streets, roads, public parks, schools, etc because the lower income people will pay little to no taxes yet they still drive on the streets, send their kids to the public schools, visit the public parks, require police and fire protection, etc just like the higher income people. In fact, perhaps moreso.

I don't mean for my comments to sound elitist. I'm simply stating what I believe to be facts. When you increase the population of the area, and at the same time lower the average wage/income, then it just stands to reason that the overall standard of living of the area declines.

Old 03-12-2016, 12:21 PM

1,115 posts, read 1,606,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
If you have lower average wage/income per person, then the people who DO make a higher wage will have to pay more in taxes and fees to maintain the streets, roads, public parks, schools, etc because the lower income people will pay little to no taxes yet they still drive on the streets, send their kids to the public schools, visit the public parks, require police and fire protection, etc just like the higher income people. In fact, perhaps moreso.

I don't mean for my comments to sound elitist. I'm simply stating what I believe to be facts. When you increase the population of the area, and at the same time lower the average wage/income, then it just stands to reason that the overall standard of living of the area declines.
I'm not aware of any sliding scale direct taxation that works in this manner. As well, I don't think the net amount of these jobs will attract a large population migration.

Ficosa bringing jobs to Cookeville is a good thing; I believe they stated the average pay would be around $38K or $18.53/hour....of course....is that the hourly wage average or all other wages considered, and if hourly, then that would nearly double $10/hour.

Old 03-12-2016, 05:21 PM

74 posts, read 84,970 times
Quote:
Ficosa bringing jobs to Cookeville is a good thing; I believe they stated the average pay would be around $38K or $18.53/hour....of course....is that the hourly wage average or all other wages considered, and if hourly, then that would nearly double $10/hour.
38,000k would be about 5k more than this lowly public educator makes.

I'm also definitely hoping the Eaton people get on at Ficosa or Academy. Jackson County had enough problems without that closure.

Old 03-12-2016, 06:03 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,943,010 times
Quote:
I'm not aware of any sliding scale direct taxation that works in this manner. As well, I don't think the net amount of these jobs will attract a large population migration.

Yeah I have no idea why I threw out that figure of $10/hr. It was what my friend said about wanting to work at Ficosa and figuring that even $10/hr there would be better than minimum wage at a convenience store. I'm quite sure that the average wages will be more than $10/hr, and this is definitely good economic news for the Cookeville area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Mouse View Post
38,000k would be about 5k more than this lowly public educator makes.

I'm also definitely hoping the Eaton people get on at Ficosa or Academy. Jackson County had enough problems without that closure.
Jackson County is in desperate need of an economic boost. Being almost a straight shot down Hwy 56 from Gainesboro, I hope a lot of people in Jackson County can find work at Ficosa, too. (And Academy Sports.)

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 03-12-2016, 07:26 PM

74 posts, read 84,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Jackson County is in desperate need of an economic boost. Being almost a straight shot down Hwy 56 from Gainesboro, I hope a lot of people in Jackson County can find work at Ficosa, too. (And Academy Sports.)
Our house is just outside of Gainesboro on the Baxter/I-40 side. I think that once people realize that we're 20 minutes from the new Academy center, it will probably boost property values and do some general good to our local economy. (Although boosting property values can negatively impact certain demographics)

Old 03-12-2016, 08:40 PM

5,970 posts, read 3,711,573 times
If growth, per se, and having more jobs and a larger population were highly desirable, then New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston, Miami, and Atlanta would be almost perfect places to live.

I'm just not in agreement that bringing in nearly 1,000 low paying jobs, and the 4,000 or so people that go along with it, is necessarily an improvement. Yeah, I guess if you're flipping burgers at McDonald's, then a chance of getting a job at $10 or $12 per hour would look good to you, but that doesn't mean that it's a improvement to the overall community and standard of living of the area. Growing the population does not necessarily equal improving the area, IMO.

I'm surprised that so many knowledgeable people on this board who seem to have a handle on what's going on don't know what the production jobs pay for this company that's moving in from only about 30 miles away. Surely someone could get some reliable figures on the wages being paid. My guess is that the average hourly rate would be somewhere in the low teens, but that's just a guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville