Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2008, 08:54 AM

5,985 posts, read 4,376,536 times

Advertisements

Last night I drove from Nashville to Knoxville. The full moon revealed the Plateau's beauty to me in a way that I had never before experienced. As I descended the eastern escarpment I thought about how deeply my roots are embedded in these mountains. If you were to follow the outline of Walden Ridge, you would eventually reach Cumberland Gap and continue on into the region of Virginia where I grew up. Fom the ridgetop behind our house Cumberland Mountain could be seen only a mile or two away as the crow flies. To the north was Black Mountain, the rooftop of the Plateau at 4,145 feet of elevation. It was there in Meadow Fork hollow where my friends and I explored, played, swam, fished, fought, and practiced laboriously on our guitars in a vain attempt to emulate Maybelle Carter's technique on Wildwood Flower. It was where I became immersed in the writings of Jesse Stuart and Mark Twain and Frost and Riley and the 1611 King James version of the Bible. Last night I remembered all these things and more. And as I crossed the Clinch River bridge on I-40 it occurred to me that a miniscule part of the water flowing beneath me came from the creek that flows from Meadow Fork hollow. And that the full moon was also standing watch over lonely hilltop graveyards where so many of my ancestors are planted. How I love these mountains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 10:31 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,407,212 times
Your words make my heart yearn to move NOW!

Just lovely...

Old 01-24-2008, 02:59 PM

7,534 posts, read 17,219,213 times
Thanks for sharing, Ridgerunner. Your words really spoke to me, I grew up in Southern Greene County along the mountains that you cross going into Madison NC. Sounds like we had lots of the same experiences...

Old 01-24-2008, 03:58 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,130,980 times
Thumbs up What a beautiful scene you have painted, Ridgerunner.

Thanks for posting your thoughts for all of us, Ridgerunner. I really felt what you were so eloquently saying as I often almost feel at the point of tears when I see the mountains of home come into view.

I don't know how those who didn't grow up around the majestic beauty of the Appalachian or Smoky or Rocky Mts. feel when they first see them over the horizon, but for me, it is a call to come home. Gladly!

Old 01-24-2008, 11:01 PM

24,766 posts, read 28,505,227 times
Smile move NOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
Your words make my heart yearn to move NOW!

Just lovely...
I second that......

Old 01-24-2008, 11:21 PM

219 posts, read 810,777 times
Wow. That was really deep and I envy you. I was born in California and spent 12 years there and then moved all over the United States. Yes, I might have seen more of the USA then the average person but I have no "roots" so to speak. I envy people that are born in a certain area and live there or live close to there for their entire life. Being old and wrinkled with your child hood friends is quite cool. I find that so neat and wonder what it is like to experience that since I never can.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:54 AM

849 posts, read 2,954,001 times
That was a beautiful reflection and one I hope to one day enjoy myself. My roots are not there, but my heart has always loved the mountains. One day, one day...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville