Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2015, 06:28 PM

3 posts, read 6,067 times

Advertisements

Southern California retired widow thinking of moving near Jamestown Tennessee.

I have a horse and a pony and while in my early mid 60s am enjoying decent health. The greenery and horse trails are calling me and it seems that there are reasonable properties available. I understand there might be help available to hire for handyman chores.

I do notice that Fentress County is never recommended as a retirement location. While my animals are a big part of my life I would also hope to find some other activities such as donating time to local Schools or a library or? To help round out life.

Access to horse trails is a main attraction for me but I'm concerned that perhaps this is too rural an area. It looks as if some very nice properties there have stayed on the market too long.

I'm not seeking an active social life so much as beautiful country and a peaceful constructive existence. I've lived in several places in the world and hold Advanced college degrees although I'm not sure that so important if there is Internet access and the people around are friendly and accepting.

Thoughts on Fentress County please? Maybe Ridgetop acres and Jamestown in particular? Is this move sound like a bad idea for a "mature" single woman?

Thanks for any help – my moving goal would be the end of summer or first part of fall 2016. I have two other areas in the country under consideration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2015, 12:14 PM

420 posts, read 1,535,051 times
Fentress is a very rural county with very high (~30%) unemployment. Services are limited. Meth is a real and substantial problem.

People do move to the Jamestown area for the trail access; it is a beautiful part of the country. However, you might find it nicer to trailer to trails and live closer to Crossville. There are some nice properties with great views not far outside Crossville.

I will add that if you have never spent time in the mountain rural South, be prepared for a very different culture and way of life. I am an equestrian and live in Roane County, east of Crossville.

Old 11-02-2015, 08:51 AM

36,519 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyT View Post
Southern California retired widow thinking of moving near Jamestown Tennessee.

I have a horse and a pony and while in my early mid 60s am enjoying decent health. The greenery and horse trails are calling me and it seems that there are reasonable properties available. I understand there might be help available to hire for handyman chores.

I do notice that Fentress County is never recommended as a retirement location. While my animals are a big part of my life I would also hope to find some other activities such as donating time to local Schools or a library or? To help round out life.

Access to horse trails is a main attraction for me but I'm concerned that perhaps this is too rural an area. It looks as if some very nice properties there have stayed on the market too long.

I'm not seeking an active social life so much as beautiful country and a peaceful constructive existence. I've lived in several places in the world and hold Advanced college degrees although I'm not sure that so important if there is Internet access and the people around are friendly and accepting.

Thoughts on Fentress County please? Maybe Ridgetop acres and Jamestown in particular? Is this move sound like a bad idea for a "mature" single woman?

Thanks for any help – my moving goal would be the end of summer or first part of fall 2016. I have two other areas in the country under consideration.
Jamestown is a very rural area and Ridgetop is out there. I dont know how rural you are comfortable with. Jamestown is fairly small but growing, a little. The people are friendly and the drug problem is no worse than any other rural area.
You have lots trails at East Fork and Big South Fork. I'm sure you would be able to find places to volunteer or groups to be involved with. I dont see why it would be a bad idea if you are comfortable with rural living. I would suggest visiting the area first.

Old 11-02-2015, 09:21 AM

3 posts, read 6,067 times
Default Thank you.

It looks beautiful and affordable. You are kind to take care time to respond. I will take a trip out the first part of next year.

Old 11-04-2015, 09:49 AM

111 posts, read 485,063 times
A friend of mine lives in a horse community in Allardt which is just east of Jamestown. The homes are log cabin style and there are quite a few properties for sale. While it is not a gated community it is very private. Be warned that it is very rural and not close to anything.

Old 11-05-2015, 01:10 PM

36,519 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchuck View Post
A friend of mine lives in a horse community in Allardt which is just east of Jamestown. The homes are log cabin style and there are quite a few properties for sale. While it is not a gated community it is very private. Be warned that it is very rural and not close to anything.
Its basically the same area. Closer to East Fork Stables than Big South Fork.

Old 11-05-2015, 02:44 PM

412 posts, read 451,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piedmont View Post
Fentress is a very rural county with very high (~30%) unemployment. Services are limited. Meth is a real and substantial problem.

People do move to the Jamestown area for the trail access; it is a beautiful part of the country. However, you might find it nicer to trailer to trails and live closer to Crossville. There are some nice properties with great views not far outside Crossville.

I will add that if you have never spent time in the mountain rural South, be prepared for a very different culture and way of life. I am an equestrian and live in Roane County, east of Crossville.
I am not an equestrian but own property in Roane County. There are a number of horse properties nearby. Home and land prices are very reasonable in the Roane County area.

Jamestown would be a real culture shock for most people. Services there are very limited. That isn't going to change soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville