Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2017, 04:38 AM

13,353 posts, read 39,963,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonyrich View Post
I think this was probably discussed before but can someone refresh my memory....what is being built in the cow pasture SW corner of Neal and Veterans Dr.?
The NW corner of Neal and Veterans, where land is being cleared, will be some medical office buildings. The SW corner of Neal and Veterans, where some soil testing was done a couple of weeks ago behind the Maddux mansion, is where the city wants to build a new police HQ. Personally, I wish they wouldn't put the new police HQ there, but I guess they're running out of options.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 12:14 PM

262 posts, read 523,378 times
According to my map, the police building testing was done on the SE corner and the dirt work I am asking about is being done on the SW corner. I see other clearing work being done on the NW corner (but a ways north of the actual intersection). So I am still confused (but my better half says that is normal).

Old 08-01-2017, 01:16 PM

303 posts, read 295,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumeby View Post
My wife keeps asking me when Target is coming to Cookeville so I thought I would poke around and see what I could find. I found this website that shows Target has been opening lots of new stores recently. I know that a lot of Cookevillians would like to see a Target in Cookeville and I even saw a Facebook page dedicated to a Target coming to town. Given the recent expansion at Target, I wonder if they have looked at Cookeville. Maybe the town can try and get the attention of Target. This might be the right time for Cookeville ....
My wife met the mayor at a local school function at the end of last school year and she asked him this very question. He said that we probably never will get a Target unless they change there preferred location metrics. This is a shame on their part but whatever; I know that a Target in Cookeville would be really successful given how many people travel to Knoxville and Nashville to go there.

Old 08-01-2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonyrich View Post
According to my map, the police building testing was done on the SE corner and the dirt work I am asking about is being done on the SW corner. I see other clearing work being done on the NW corner (but a ways north of the actual intersection). So I am still confused (but my better half says that is normal).
The possible new police HQ is at the SW corner, where the Maddux mansion is located. I've not seen any work done on the SE corner.

Council considering different site for police station | Herald Citizen

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 08-01-2017, 02:58 PM

262 posts, read 523,378 times
I think I see the cause for my confusion. Neal St. does not run north south as one would think but runs SW NE. So my question remains I see development underway on 3 corners of this intersection. One is exploring the police station site, one is medical office buildings and the third is ???

Old 08-10-2017, 07:08 PM

While not nearly as exciting as a new shopping center or hotel, I'm pretty excited about this. "Cookeville Escape" is a new business that's cashing on the "Escape" craze that's popular in many larger towns. I've been to Nashville Escape with friends and love it. An escape game is an interactive experience designed for a group of friends, family or co-workers. With only 60 minutes you must work together, find clues, decode messages, solve problems and escape the room under various scenarios (prison, a radioactive leak, a Mayan fortress, mission to another planet, etc.).

https://cookevilleescape.com/

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 08-15-2017, 07:48 PM

Looks like a new strip mall is headed to South Jefferson. This will be in front of Abel Gardens and next to the building with Firehouse Subs and the 24-hour gym Workout Anytime.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 08-27-2017, 05:58 PM

I've been listening to today's edition of 94.1's Today in the Upper Cumberland radio show, and it's been full of interesting things about downtown Cookeville:
  • The last tenant in the old Wilson building has finally relocated, so demolition should start soon to make way for the downtown hotel and conference center. According to city councilman Jim Woodford, who's also on the board of downtown's CityScape organization, the architect's renderings are done, core drilling has been done, and the hotel will include a 3-story parking garage. I wish we could see the architect's renderings.
  • More downtown residences should be coming along soon. One of the reasons SAIC came to town was they wanted to be in a thriving downtown and not out in an office park. SAIC hopes to attract the kinds of employees who want to live and work downtown which means the demand is there--or will be soon--for more downtown housing.
  • CityScape is talking with the city about improving Cedar Avenue which connects the historic West Side, the hospital, and the university. The improvements will be cosmetic similar to the improvements made to Broad (decorative lamps, nicer sidewalks, etc.) and will maybe also include bike lanes.
  • Other cosmetic changes coming to downtown will be more murals like the one being painted right now on Cedar across from Father Tom's Pub.
  • The only town in Tennessee with a lower downtown vacancy rate than Cookeville is Franklin.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 08-28-2017, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I've been listening to today's edition of 94.1's Today in the Upper Cumberland radio show, and it's been full of interesting things about downtown Cookeville:
  • The last tenant in the old Wilson building has finally relocated, so demolition should start soon to make way for the downtown hotel and conference center. According to city councilman Jim Woodford, who's also on the board of downtown's CityScape organization, the architect's renderings are done, core drilling has been done, and the hotel will include a 3-story parking garage. I wish we could see the architect's renderings.
  • More downtown residences should be coming along soon. One of the reasons SAIC came to town was they wanted to be in a thriving downtown and not out in an office park. SAIC hopes to attract the kinds of employees who want to live and work downtown which means the demand is there--or will be soon--for more downtown housing.
  • CityScape is talking with the city about improving Cedar Avenue which connects the historic West Side, the hospital, and the university. The improvements will be cosmetic similar to the improvements made to Broad (decorative lamps, nicer sidewalks, etc.) and will maybe also include bike lanes.
  • Other cosmetic changes coming to downtown will be more murals like the one being painted right now on Cedar across from Father Tom's Pub.
  • The only town in Tennessee with a lower downtown vacancy rate than Cookeville is Franklin.
They just posted this episode on 94.1's web site. It's a good one to listen to for those of us excited about the direction downtown Cookeville is headed.

Today In The Upper Cumberland: Cityscape Planning | News Talk 94.1/AM 1600

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 08-29-2017, 03:55 PM

A new Asian market has opened in Cookeville. Fil-Am Asian Store specializes mainly in Filipino and Korean products but carries others. It's barely opened (still not completely set up) and is at 1680 South Jefferson, Suite E. When I went by today the name was not on the store yet but a big Filipino flag was in the front window. They also have some prepared dishes for take-out. They already have a bakery with some home-baked Filipino pastries like pan de coco, bird's nest, or pan de sal. This is run by different people than the Taste of the Philippines restaurant in Algood. Look for Fil-Am Asian Store on Facebook.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville