Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2020, 05:46 AM

303 posts, read 295,198 times

Advertisements

It's good for the employees that they are leaving our location open, but that store has become the store that never dies. What is this, the third round of store closings that it has survived?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2020, 02:08 PM

667 posts, read 763,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justindb29 View Post
It's good for the employees that they are leaving our location open, but that store has become the store that never dies. What is this, the third round of store closings that it has survived?

We were at Penny's Saturday, more people than I expected.

The place is like a time-warp back to the 70's

Old 06-10-2020, 02:23 PM

730 posts, read 815,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumeby View Post
We were at Penny's Saturday, more people than I expected.

The place is like a time-warp back to the 70's
Funny but true. I was in there a few months ago and it was pretty busy, but it still looked like 1979. There's a core group of loyal shoppers to Penney's which is surprising since I think Belk and Kohl's are much, much nicer and have better products. For that matter, so do Ross, TJ Maxx, and Gabe's. But Penney's does have one thing the others don't: a hair salon. I know a lot of blue-haired old ladies who won't go anywhere else to get their hair done than Jacques Penné.

Old 06-11-2020, 07:47 AM

1,115 posts, read 1,608,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Interesting news earlier this week. Looks like the decrepit old trailer park on Scenic Drive up the hill behind Cook Out and Executive Inn has now been completely razed, and the plans are to extend Scenic Drive so that it will connect with the new Shoppes at Eagle Point shopping center. I had heard that this was going to be redeveloped as luxury condos, but it looks now like the owners want to open it up for more commercial development: hotels, offices, restaurants, etc. All this will be up for a vote by the city planning commission tomorrow night.

Trailer park transformation pending | Herald Citizen
There has been work on the Interstate Drive side of the hill for this; looks like they're clearing to make way for development.

Old 06-12-2020, 11:24 AM

9,681 posts, read 9,395,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tragenvol View Post
There has been work on the Interstate Drive side of the hill for this; looks like they're clearing to make way for development.
This makes sense. The commercial areas are thriving in Cookeville. The region can support more retail.

Old 06-14-2020, 04:04 PM

13,353 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Thanks for the heads up. I hadn't noticed that but went up there today to see what you were talking about. They've done a lot of clearing. I don't think there's enough room up there for anything large scale, but there's certainly enough room for a hotel or two and some restaurants. Nice views, too. And I'm glad they finally got rid of that dumpy trailer park. I always thought it was odd that a street named "Scenic Drive" was nothing more than a crumbling path into a trashy trailer park. Now "Scenic Drive" can actually be a scenic drive.

Here's the Google Streetview of the trailer park in question (rotate the picture to see the old trailer park):

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.1409...7i13312!8i6656

And the picture I took today from the same spot and the same direction as the Google Streetview above but which now has a nice view of "Restaurant Row" and the Shoppes at Eagle Point:

(side note: the grassy area right in the middle of the picture is where Texas Roadhouse is going)

And then looking up to where the old trailer park and woods used to be:

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Last edited by JMT; 06-15-2020 at 08:39 AM..

Old 06-16-2020, 09:48 AM

93 posts, read 100,365 times
Scenic Drive actually holds a fairly significant place in Cookeville cultural lore; a lot of bands played house shows there in the '90s. But I guess everything must make way for another couple of locations of National Frozen Food Grille and Homogeneity Inn & Suites.

Old 06-19-2020, 07:51 AM

1,115 posts, read 1,608,376 times
Hilton brand coming to South Jefferson:

Planners to vote on new S. Jefferson hotel | Herald Citizen

Old 06-19-2020, 08:44 AM

13,353 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Hilton brand coming to South Jefferson:

Planners to vote on new S. Jefferson hotel | Herald Citizen
I wonder if it'll be a TRU by Hilton which was originally supposed to go south of the interstate between La Quinta and Holiday Inn Express but was denied by the city for lack of sufficient parking.

And the H-C article is fuzzy on the details, of course. The 3-story section of the existing Quality Inn will remain a Quality Inn, but the "front portion" will become the 5-story Hilton brand. Is that the part facing Jefferson? Or the older, original 2-story section that was built in the 1970s as a Holiday Inn? And what about the indoor pool and fountains which Holiday Inn had originally built in the 80s and called a "Holidome"? Is that going to stay as part of the Quality Inn, or is it also going to be demolished to make way for the new hotel? I really dislike the H-C at times like this when they just lazily slap together an article without probing for more information. I guess we'll find out more at Monday night's planning commission meeting.

The old Holidome part of the Quality Inn hotel which I don't think has been updated since it was built in the mid 80s when it was still a Holiday Inn:
https://www.google.com/maps/@36.1390...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.1390...7i13312!8i6656

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 06-22-2020, 11:27 AM

320 posts, read 540,930 times
There is a job posting for Tumbleweed TexMex Grill and Margarita Bar in Cookeville. Seems to be a chain based out of KY/OH/IN. Anyone heard if/where this will be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville