Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 02:59 PM

249 posts, read 659,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
If Comcast had to impose that kind of limit, does that mean they've had problems with too many users playing more than 12,000 hours of online games per month? If so, that is a sad commentary on our society. Or at least the society in Ft Myers.

At any rate, I can't imagine that 99% of users would ever even approach one terabyte in one month.
Comcast is imposing usage caps for monetary reasons. I mean, there are only 744 hours in a month, so I don't think it's an issue with online gaming. In fact they even say that its not about usage or technical limitations, it's all about "fairness." They claim that if you use more data, you should pay more, like electricity. Of course, the power company doesn't charge you $70/month if you use no electricity, so it's hardly comparable. Cable Industry Finally Admits Caps Not About Congestion - After Insisting For Years Caps Were About Congestion | DSLReports, ISP Information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2017, 06:12 AM

666 posts, read 762,842 times
The Twin Lakes Gigabit (FTTH) service expansion is making pretty good progress. It looks like I might have connectivity before the end of the year. So I'm doing some research and home prep work for the new service including wiring my house with cat 6 and determining my network security plan of attack.

I stumbled across this announcement from last year.

Affinegy Selected by Twin Lakes to Support Home WiFi Offering for Broadband Subscribers
This is "behind the scenes" type information but what caught my eye was some terminology and acronyms I was not that familiar with like Internet of Things (IoT) and AllSeen Alliance.

Here is few links interesting videos on IoT

What is The Internet of Things?

The 5G Revolution: The Internet of Things Meets Everything

Old 10-08-2017, 03:16 PM

262 posts, read 523,200 times
Thanks for the links to new info for old dinosaurs.

Old 10-10-2017, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonyrich View Post
Thanks for the links to new info for old dinosaurs.
Yeah but us old dinosaurs were the explorers of the new "online" world.

Old 03-14-2018, 08:38 AM

1,115 posts, read 1,607,999 times
Twin Lakes will not be extending gigabit internet service residentially beyond its current pilot neighborhoods, which I believe includes the Mayor's residence.

Profitability and Loss estimates dictated that Twin Lakes will only expand the service to commercial clients.

Old 03-14-2018, 09:01 AM
JRR

8,165 posts, read 5,657,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumeby View Post
Yeah but us old dinosaurs were the explorers of the new "online" world.
That picture brings back old memories. In 1993 I went to work for a discount stock brokerage firm and our trading platform was the old Bloomberg system. Everything green and such limited screens. When we updated to a new system in 1995, we were amazed at what it looked like and what we could do with it (once we figured out how to use it).

Old 03-18-2018, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tragenvol View Post
Twin Lakes will not be extending gigabit internet service residentially beyond its current pilot neighborhoods, which I believe includes the Mayor's residence.

Profitability and Loss estimates dictated that Twin Lakes will only expand the service to commercial clients.
Twin Lakes ran fiber last year to many neighborhoods last year in the south west areas in Putnam. They wrapped up my neighborhood just over a month ago. I'm now getting 1G service.

Old 03-18-2018, 08:29 PM

1,115 posts, read 1,607,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumeby View Post
Twin Lakes ran fiber last year to many neighborhoods last year in the south west areas in Putnam. They wrapped up my neighborhood just over a month ago. I'm now getting 1G service.
Southwest Putnam County is Twin Lakes territory. Cookeville however is not....so no additional fiber will be expanded residentially beyond their territory.

Old 10-10-2018, 12:52 PM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
Spectrum, Cookeville's cable TV provider, is bringing gigabit internet to Cookeville homes and businesses. According to the press release, it should be available to all Spectrum customers in Putnam County by the end of this year.

https://www.ucbjournal.com/spectrum-...ashville-area/

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 07-21-2021, 04:20 PM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
Jonathan West, the CEO of Twin Lakes, was on Tiffany Anton's radio show this morning on 94.1. Among other things, he said that Twin Lakes, with 5,000 miles of fiber optic cables throughout its service area, is the largest cooperatively owned fiber optics network in the Southeastern US. This coming April they will finish connecting every home in its service area to fiber optics. They're also focusing on expanding their service in the city of Cookeville where it competes head to head with Charter/Spectrum. They just expanded into Algood.

One example that Jonathan shared of how having gigabit internet in the rural areas outside of Cookeville has affected the local economy was a National Geographic photographer who moved to the area precisely because of the gigabit internet service and the proximity to the Nashville airport. He's able to enjoy a very comfortable life out in the countryside but still travel the world and then return home and upload large video and image files within seconds to his bosses at National Geographic.

Twin Lakes started building fiber optics lines in its more rural areas several years ago which puts this region far ahead of most of rural Tennessee when it comes to reliable and fast internet service. Other rural areas in Tennessee are now working with Twin Lakes to bring gigabit internet to their areas, too: Bradley County (Cleveland) and Grainger County just east of Knoxville.

https://newstalk941.com/local-matter...on-twin-lakes/

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Last edited by JMT; 07-21-2021 at 04:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville