Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 09:43 AM

3 posts, read 3,722 times

Advertisements

We have built a few homes over the last 20 yrs. The most recent 3 yrs ago. We are retiring to the Crossville/Cookeville area. New construction where I am moving from is 45 dollars a sq ft cheaper than a new construction build in Crossville area. Materials/spec sheets from where I am moving from and in Crossville are the same or close to each other. Is the difference just the labor? I just get shrugs when I ask that question. The quality and materials are same specs. The only thing I can see is labor..Actually, we are building the exact 2200sq ft home that we are selling since we are retiring. So the only thing I can ascertain is the labor. We have spoken with 7 contractors and their estimates are almost exact.....that is weird also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 09:52 AM

15,205 posts, read 12,075,064 times
Just where are you now....

Old 01-05-2016, 09:54 AM

21 posts, read 28,194 times
hello and welcome to the Crossville area! I just returned from a mtg with my builder and logged on and you posted a question that I have as well. We retired here from another state next to Tennesseee.
Yes, you are right! Tile, wood, etc granite, roofing etc all are the same and from some of the same sources as our previous area. I can only say that I believe it is in the labor.
Btw, we are building in the glade. How close to the glade is your build?
Have you noticed the large amount of retired police, federal agents from all 3 letter agencies, military, firemen, first responders etc in this area? Wow! We love it!

Old 01-05-2016, 10:20 AM

Bones, wow, fast replies! I am in Paris Tn. area right this moment but selling our home in west Memphis arkansas. Where are you? Have you built new construction lately? You retired?

Glad: what state were you in? Yes I have noticed the large population of retired "sheepdogs" as we are called also known as first responders. I am one as well as my wife. We decided to move to the Crossville area after trying West Memphis arkansas. We tried West Memphis because of a post retirement job. It was ok there, but a lot of my fellow military buddies/veterans/retirees then feds, live in the Crossville area and we are always going there or they are coming here. so we decided to get closer to them and MY WIFE has family around Crossville/Chattanooga area as well. Are You retired sheepdog?

Last edited by stopnegativity; 01-05-2016 at 10:22 AM.. Reason: added words

Old 01-05-2016, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladsheismyex View Post
I can only say that I believe it is in the labor.

$100,000 extra on a 2200 sq foot house is crazy....

Old 01-05-2016, 10:22 AM

Thanks!

Old 01-05-2016, 10:31 AM

wait a minute, stopnegativity, this is Jethro... are you wayne? I think we know each other right? Were you in the air force and at Elmendorf in the 80's and early nineties? I have moved from little rock. You on verizon mobile?
If so lets pm each other and meet up. WELCOME!

Old 01-05-2016, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopnegativity View Post
Bones, wow, fast replies! I am in Paris Tn. area right this moment but selling our home in west Memphis arkansas. Where are you? Have you built new construction lately? You retired?

My neighbor down the road built for ~ $100 sq. foot about 5 years ago and has a really nice house. The contractor wanted to keep his crew busy during slow times. I doubt he actually made much profit.
I'm about 20 minutes out of town and retired....took me a long time to find home....

Old 01-05-2016, 10:41 AM

bones, I sent you a pm.

Old 01-05-2016, 07:05 PM

412 posts, read 451,965 times
This thread would make a lot more sense if the obliqueness vanished. How much a sq foot are does your proposed Cove build work out to? How much a sq foot currently in your old stomping ground. Is land included in either or both? How much land?

Are the contract types equivalent? Are you comparing a fixed price build to a cost plus approach? Are you comparing custom or semi custom designs in single build construction to cookie cutter stuff in a large subdivision with the builder having multiple builds going on in close proximity to each other?

Tell us all.

Last edited by RestArea; 01-05-2016 at 07:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville