U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2006, 12:13 PM

4 posts, read 18,219 times

Advertisements

We are considering a relocation from North-central Illinois to the Cumberland Plateau area. Right now I am setting here waiting for the 5 to 10 inches of snow predicted for our area. Not my idea of fun. My wife and I are both recently retired, so cost of living is also a factor.
Specifically we are interested in weather comparisons between the two areas. Wife has arthritis in her hands and the wide fluctuations in barometric pressure in our area cause her a considerable amount of pain. The cold weather doesn't help either. The Mid-South area is much more appealing to us than the Southwest.
Has anyone out there relocated from my area that can give us some in site on this potential relocation?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2006, 03:38 AM

35,952 posts, read 35,970,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Del View Post
We are considering a relocation from North-central Illinois to the Cumberland Plateau area. Right now I am setting here waiting for the 5 to 10 inches of snow predicted for our area. Not my idea of fun. My wife and I are both recently retired, so cost of living is also a factor.
Specifically we are interested in weather comparisons between the two areas. Wife has arthritis in her hands and the wide fluctuations in barometric pressure in our area cause her a considerable amount of pain. The cold weather doesn't help either. The Mid-South area is much more appealing to us than the Southwest.
Has anyone out there relocated from my area that can give us some in site on this potential relocation?
You can compare where you live now to Crossville on the Sperling's Best Places website, City Compare page:

Moderator cut: URL cut...try city -data main page for this comparison

Select Illinois from the drop down menu. Let it load the cities/towns. Select your town from the drop down menu. Repeat this with Tennessee and the potential new city/town. You can then compare the two places by clicking on the Climate link. Under that tab you can compare the two places on precipitation, amount of swowfall, July high temp, January low temp, number of sunny days, etc.

Old 12-04-2006, 12:11 PM

I have done this as part of our research in choosing a location. The data is good, but it can't compare to the personal experience of someone that has lived in both areas.

Old 12-04-2006, 03:54 PM

462 posts, read 1,757,095 times
This might help alittle. The weather does fluctuate ten to twenty degrees as fronts come through, warm fronts with moisture come from the Gulf and cold fronts out of the north. I can always feel them before they get here. I don't live there, but you've probably reseached Fairfeild Glade. One other thing, the valleys on the east side of the Plateau and the Smokies don't get as much fluctation.

Old 12-11-2006, 11:55 AM

Anyone in the Fairfield Glade area that moved there from Northern Illinois?

Old 01-16-2008, 11:46 AM

2 posts, read 12,023 times
Could someone out there tell me about Fairfield Glade or download some pictures??? From what I have researched it is the community to meet my wants and needs!! Thanks

Old 01-16-2008, 12:50 PM

829 posts, read 1,449,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol D View Post
Could someone out there tell me about Fairfield Glade or download some pictures??? From what I have researched it is the community to meet my wants and needs!! Thanks
www.fairfieldglade.cc Some pics on this website, official site of the Community Club

Golf Packages in Fairfield Glade and Crossville, Tennessee; Tennessee Mountain Golf also has some pics of the courses, etc

CrossvilleOnline - Crossville, Tennessee - Your internet guide to Cumberland Co. good site with lots of links to the area

UncleDel - I have not moved to the area, but I am from N IL and have owned in FFG since 2001. I may be able to answer some of your questions. ASk away.

Old 01-16-2008, 05:00 PM

24,142 posts, read 24,437,453 times
Crossville Chronicle, Crossville, TN - Home

Old 01-17-2008, 12:20 PM

28,717 posts, read 42,549,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol D View Post
We liked enough to buy a lot there. We know a couple that moved there and love it. As she told us "You have to say no or you'll never have any free time." She was talking about all the clubs and activities available there.

Here's our lot (between the arrows). It's on a 3 acre "pond" that is an irrigation source for one of the golf courses, which means they maintain it, we don't have to worry about it. Nice slope down to the water. Haven't been there since the summer of '06 so I don't know if there is a house between us and the one being built. Hoping to get down this spring/summer to do some clearing. Lots of trees!

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k315/Tek_Freek/Lakelotlocation-1.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville