Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 07:44 PM

7,020 posts, read 6,231,465 times

Advertisements

I've looked at some sites but know that folks that live in Cookeville can give me the best advice. I won't be visiting until spring so there is definitely time to look & research.

I was looking at senior housing but really need somewhere that I can have a pet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2016, 08:09 PM

34,848 posts, read 30,922,246 times
Mobile homes depreciate and get run down looking quick. I'd really look into small houses or a condo/townhome with one level.

Old 12-21-2016, 10:19 PM

I only have approximately $40,000 in investments & social security. I don't think I could afford a house payment. I'll see what's out there when I visit. A lot of people live in mobile homes so there must be something to them.

I was also thinking of getting one of the small homes but again, I'll have to see what's there for land, etc.

Old 12-22-2016, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Mobile homes depreciate and get run down looking quick. I'd really look into small houses or a condo/townhome with one level.
Serious, Wherever I end up will be my forever home. At 63 I'm not looking at more than 20 years, if that so am not overly concerned about depreciation. I will have my brother advise me before I buy anything.

Right now I am looking for somewhere I can have a pet (cat) in peace. Where I am now, there was a cat someone had just abandoned by the gas station/store by my apartment. It slowly came to trust me & followed me home.

I fed it & petted it & then we had ice rain one night so I brought it inside while the crew at the store & I searched for a home for her.

Well, a neighbor decided I'd adopted it, even though I explained what was going on. I just didn't want it to freeze to death. The next day, in the community room was a sheet we all had to sign that stated we wouldn't have pets in our apartment. So I put the cat back outside & lo & behold, we had a blizzard.

Somehow the cat survived & with the help of one of my neighbors helpers, was able to get it to a safe home.

I don't care to ever go through anything like that again. In fact, I wouldn't mind being a foster pet mom. Which is why I am thinking a mobile home might work best.

Old 12-22-2016, 01:53 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,313,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I've looked at some sites but know that folks that live in Cookeville can give me the best advice. I won't be visiting until spring so there is definitely time to look & research.

I was looking at senior housing but really need somewhere that I can have a pet.
I don't care how old you are, where you're living, or whether you're renting versus owning. A mobile home is not an option over a traditional building, especially in a cold climate, and NEVER if it's your last home.

Old 12-22-2016, 02:12 PM

It all depends on what I can afford. In the end, it will be my decision.

Old 12-22-2016, 02:43 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,313,546 times
Quote:
It all depends on what I can afford. In the end, it will be my decision.
Of course it will. In Minnesota, it could also be your last. They aren't insulated, and running space heaters in a mobile home is a recipe for disaster.

You asked for suggestions.

Do your homework based on safety, not cost.

Old 12-22-2016, 03:12 PM

Again, I'll consult my brothers. I had to insulate my home in St. Paul &, although it was a job, it did the trick. I know it would be different in a mobile home but it never hurts to check things out.

I do appreciate insights but won't know until I visit what I will do in the end. I will be checking out senior buildings but this one has soured me on living with nosy neighbors. It could be a whole different story in Cookeville. This town (outside of Fergus proper) has only 500+ population.

I also appreciate the opportunity I was given to live here and heal from the injuries/surgery from a car accident. It's the nosiness I have trouble dealing with & the fact that I can't have a pet. Even the few days with the cat inside, there was so much love. I forgot how wonderful that was.

Old 12-22-2016, 03:35 PM

13,337 posts, read 39,744,335 times
Quote:
Again, I'll consult my brothers. I had to insulate my home in St. Paul &, although it was a job, it did the trick. I know it would be different in a mobile home but it never hurts to check things out.

I do appreciate insights but won't know until I visit what I will do in the end. I will be checking out senior buildings but this one has soured me on living with nosy neighbors. It could be a whole different story in Cookeville. This town (outside of Fergus proper) has only 500+ population.

I also appreciate the opportunity I was given to live here and heal from the injuries/surgery from a car accident. It's the nosiness I have trouble dealing with & the fact that I can't have a pet. Even the few days with the cat inside, there was so much love. I forgot how wonderful that was.
They allow residents to have cats at the Walnut Village senior apartments in Cookeville.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 12-22-2016, 04:22 PM

Thank you. I did contact them but have to apply in person, which I will do when I visit. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

The only thing I miss in life is having a fur baby. Oh, and less cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville