Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2017, 01:53 PM

2 posts, read 2,304 times

Advertisements

Our family is most likely moving to Crossville in the next 2 months (still waiting on some business arrangements). I have read all the statistics on rents, home sales, weather, crime, etc. On paper it seems like a fantastic place and very similar to where we already live.

However, I'm curious if anyone can describe the feel of the town for me. I won't have the chance to visit before the big move so it's a big unknown. I'd love to know how the community is as a whole. Friendly? Tight knit? Too tight knit that newcomers are always considered outsiders no many how many years pass?
Generally speaking, is it the kind of place where neighbors welcome new families with an in person visit or more like a nod and wave (or even ignore) as they drive past?

I have no preference on these things, just want to know what to possibly expect. Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2017, 04:57 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,033,508 times
I can not speak for the whole area, but will hopefully give you some insight from what I have observed.

Crossville seems to be separated into three major sections, the town itself, the Lake Tansi area and the Glades area. There are also outlying rural areas which I know nothing about.

The Glades is mostly retirees from other areas. They welcome others, but do seem to have a social hierarchy and think pretty highly of themselves. The welcome may be better for those with wealth, or who can pretend well

The town itself, which seems to have a lot of the locals living in it seems to be at a lower economic level. Some people living in this area are not a open to newcomers, some will be. I have heard comments about the 'Glades' folks from locals at places like Walmart. At the same time, I think that the people did deserve some of the comments. e.g. 'Wish they would open a line just for people from the Glades, so we did not have to wait so long" Why should they get a 'special' line? It was making them out to be more important than others. If anything, the locals who work should have the special line (in my opinion) not the retirees who shop for fun without time constraints. I have also hear comments like "Looks like some of our Yankees have escaped from the Glades". And jokingly, "we keep our Yankees in the Glades, you are from CA, so you are ok."

Lake Tansi has locals, folks from other states, and a lot of vacation homes for TN folks. It is very open to new comers. But you do need to go into town for most things. There are some places to buy things nearby, but generally library, major shopping, etc. is in town.

Both the Glades and Tansi have security and the Sheriff's for police. Town has the city police in some areas or sheriffs in other areas.

I have found that as long as you accept the area for what it is and do not try to make it where you came from, people are pretty nice and accepting. I am at Lake Tansi and have neighbors that are local, from NY, Detroit, etc. People overall, and me included, hate to hear in XXX we YYY. If you like it so much, maybe you should live there! Especially when it increases the taxes for everyone. Crossville is a low tax area and you will find a fantastic library (with lots of volunteers), great playhouse, nice movie theater, incredible state parks, etc., but you will not find a lot of social welfare things.

Old 04-19-2017, 08:48 PM

2 posts, read 2,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lae60 View Post
I can not speak for the whole area, but will hopefully give you some insight from what I have observed.

Crossville seems to be separated into three major sections, the town itself, the Lake Tansi area and the Glades area. There are also outlying rural areas which I know nothing about.

The Glades is mostly retirees from other areas. They welcome others, but do seem to have a social hierarchy and think pretty highly of themselves. The welcome may be better for those with wealth, or who can pretend well

The town itself, which seems to have a lot of the locals living in it seems to be at a lower economic level. Some people living in this area are not a open to newcomers, some will be. I have heard comments about the 'Glades' folks from locals at places like Walmart. At the same time, I think that the people did deserve some of the comments. e.g. 'Wish they would open a line just for people from the Glades, so we did not have to wait so long" Why should they get a 'special' line? It was making them out to be more important than others. If anything, the locals who work should have the special line (in my opinion) not the retirees who shop for fun without time constraints. I have also hear comments like "Looks like some of our Yankees have escaped from the Glades". And jokingly, "we keep our Yankees in the Glades, you are from CA, so you are ok."

Lake Tansi has locals, folks from other states, and a lot of vacation homes for TN folks. It is very open to new comers. But you do need to go into town for most things. There are some places to buy things nearby, but generally library, major shopping, etc. is in town.

Both the Glades and Tansi have security and the Sheriff's for police. Town has the city police in some areas or sheriffs in other areas.

I have found that as long as you accept the area for what it is and do not try to make it where you came from, people are pretty nice and accepting. I am at Lake Tansi and have neighbors that are local, from NY, Detroit, etc. People overall, and me included, hate to hear in XXX we YYY. If you like it so much, maybe you should live there! Especially when it increases the taxes for everyone. Crossville is a low tax area and you will find a fantastic library (with lots of volunteers), great playhouse, nice movie theater, incredible state parks, etc., but you will not find a lot of social welfare things.
Thank you for the reply! We are a family of 6, with kids 7-14. Maybe I'll steer from the Glades area so I don't become "that" neighbor. lol
The area seems to offer many of the things we enjoy and value. Never having been there, I think it could be a good fit. Your comments really line up with what I have been reading. I appreciate it.

Old 04-20-2017, 09:50 AM

5,988 posts, read 3,727,800 times
I think that lae60 gave a pretty good assessment of the area. I find the people in the area friendly and helpful. Cost of living is low compared to most areas of the country. Lots of outdoor recreation available nearby. Easy to get around in town when shopping. Helpful/friendly clerks in stores. Nice people in general.

Old 04-20-2017, 10:27 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenGirlID View Post
Our family is most likely moving to Crossville in the next 2 months (still waiting on some business arrangements). I have read all the statistics on rents, home sales, weather, crime, etc. On paper it seems like a fantastic place and very similar to where we already live.

However, I'm curious if anyone can describe the feel of the town for me. I won't have the chance to visit before the big move so it's a big unknown. I'd love to know how the community is as a whole. Friendly? Tight knit? Too tight knit that newcomers are always considered outsiders no many how many years pass?
Generally speaking, is it the kind of place where neighbors welcome new families with an in person visit or more like a nod and wave (or even ignore) as they drive past?

I have no preference on these things, just want to know what to possibly expect. Thanks for your help!
Keep in mind as in all areas people are individuals so one can not say how welcoming your neighbors will be. But generally I think lae60 is spot on.

I have lived within the county for about 10 years now but lived and worked in Putnam county prior so when I got my grandkid a few years ago I was pretty much new and didnt know people in Cumberland Co. I dont know what school district you will be moving to but I would like to add that its been my experience within the school system over the last couple years that the teachers and administrators and parents have been very welcoming and generate a sense of community/school spirit.

As far as outsiders I'm beginning to think there are more transplants than locals here now.

Old 01-21-2018, 03:08 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
I think that lae60 gave a pretty good assessment of the area. I find the people in the area friendly and helpful. Cost of living is low compared to most areas of the country. Lots of outdoor recreation available nearby. Easy to get around in town when shopping. Helpful/friendly clerks in stores. Nice people in general.
My take on this area too. I've only crossed paths with 2 unsavory people and one was a local and one a transplant. The people climate is far better here than any other state we've lived in including our home state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville