Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-30-2021, 05:17 AM
 
13,351 posts, read 39,950,637 times
Reputation: 10789

Advertisements

The mixed-use building under construction on Cedar is coming along nicely. The brick exterior is almost done. Has anyone heard what businesses will be occupying the ground floor? It'll be interesting to see how much the apartments in the upper floors will go for.






The old Wilson building is now completely demolished with just some debris left to clean up. It's made a huge difference in that part of downtown. I'm really curious what's going to happen to that property.



__________________


IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-30-2021, 11:35 AM
 
1,115 posts, read 1,607,559 times
Reputation: 1027
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
The mixed-use building under construction on Cedar is coming along nicely. The brick exterior is almost done. Has anyone heard what businesses will be occupying the ground floor? It'll be interesting to see how much the apartments in the upper floors will go for.
I was told a while back a figure you would never, ever imagine i.e., astronomical. We'll soon see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2021, 03:49 PM
 
13,351 posts, read 39,950,637 times
Reputation: 10789
I don't know how many juice and nutrition bars this town can support, but another one has opened. 11 Oak Nutrition is on Oak just a block from the Spokes arch and around the corner from Taiko Sushi and Noodle Bar, Cream City, and India Palace. It's also right next to an alley that the city has started to spruce up and which will, when completed, connect Oak and Cedar and on over to the Leslie Town Centre.

__________________


IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2021, 05:13 AM
 
13,351 posts, read 39,950,637 times
Reputation: 10789
Despite the damp weather, a nice crowd showed up for the 25th annual Cooking on the Square which is a fundraising event for Habitat for Humanity held on the courthouse square downtown. This year, over 60 booths had vats of jambalaya, gumbo, étouffée, and other Cajun dishes and desserts, and just under $100,000 was raised for Habitat.



__________________


IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2021, 05:20 AM
 
303 posts, read 294,905 times
Reputation: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Despite the damp weather, a nice crowd showed up for the 25th annual Cooking on the Square which is a fundraising event for Habitat for Humanity held on the courthouse square downtown. This year, over 60 booths had vats of jambalaya, gumbo, étouffée, and other Cajun dishes and desserts, and just under $100,000 was raised for Habitat.



"Damp" lol. I started going to these about four or five years ago and the weather has been garbage for all but one. It is still a great time and the food is always great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2021, 04:07 PM
 
266 posts, read 235,911 times
Reputation: 402
I have spent a hours walking around Cookeville the last couple days. Really frustrating how close this is to being an actual town but falls short. It is POSSIBLE to walk around. But it is NOT FOR walking. Well being of cars is really prioritized here over people.

Could turn some of these 3 or these lol 5 lane roads into 2 lanes. And turn stop lights into stop signs.

I am not even talking about the lol strip mall part of town which is a lost cause. But the downtown which tries(?) to be for people. Even there it is still car-land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2021, 05:20 PM
 
93 posts, read 100,316 times
Reputation: 252
Agreed. America made a huge mistake in selling its soul to the automobile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2021, 09:10 AM
 
13,351 posts, read 39,950,637 times
Reputation: 10789
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebruiser500 View Post
I have spent a hours walking around Cookeville the last couple days. Really frustrating how close this is to being an actual town but falls short. It is POSSIBLE to walk around. But it is NOT FOR walking. Well being of cars is really prioritized here over people.

Could turn some of these 3 or these lol 5 lane roads into 2 lanes. And turn stop lights into stop signs.

I am not even talking about the lol strip mall part of town which is a lost cause. But the downtown which tries(?) to be for people. Even there it is still car-land.
And yet parts of downtown Cookeville have a walk score of 86: "Most errands can be accomplished on foot." As more residential developments spring up in the middle of town, it'll be even easier to live downtown without having to use a car. My elderly mother (turns 89 this month) lives on the edge of downtown and almost never uses her car, pretty much just on weekends. Her neighborhood on the outskirts of downtown has a walk score of 76. Her neighbor is a local musician who also works at a golf course next to downtown, and he doesn't even own a car. Yes, you have to cross busy streets, but you have to do that even if you're walking in the middle of Manhattan. I would also note that the only streets in downtown Cookeville that are more than 3 lanes are streets that lead in or out of downtown, not through downtown.

In the eight years I've been here, there have been some very nice improvements to downtown Cookeville. A lot of people now live downtown and enjoy a nearly car-free lifestyle. Having a car does make most aspects of living here easier, but it is almost entirely possible to live, work, play, and shop downtown almost completely on foot.
__________________


IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Last edited by JMT; 11-06-2021 at 09:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2021, 03:28 PM
 
266 posts, read 235,911 times
Reputation: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
And yet parts of downtown Cookeville have a walk score of 86: "Most errands can be accomplished on foot." As more residential developments spring up in the middle of town, it'll be even easier to live downtown without having to use a car. My elderly mother (turns 89 this month) lives on the edge of downtown and almost never uses her car, pretty much just on weekends. Her neighborhood on the outskirts of downtown has a walk score of 76. Her neighbor is a local musician who also works at a golf course next to downtown, and he doesn't even own a car. Yes, you have to cross busy streets, but you have to do that even if you're walking in the middle of Manhattan. I would also note that the only streets in downtown Cookeville that are more than 3 lanes are streets that lead in or out of downtown, not through downtown.

In the eight years I've been here, there have been some very nice improvements to downtown Cookeville. A lot of people now live downtown and enjoy a nearly car-free lifestyle. Having a car does make most aspects of living here easier, but it is almost entirely possible to live, work, play, and shop downtown almost completely on foot.
A couple days ago I went into a cafe in downtown Cookeville. Had a couple ham sandwiches with my son. I asked the girl at the desk, "Do more of your customers walk in or drive here?" She said driving, though occasionally someone from a business next door will walk in.

Sorry man but a walkability score isn't going to convince me of much given that I am actually physically here and spending hours walking around. Including a fun jaunt around the college campus (lmao, a 4 lane road here? This is just silly) which ended with me leaving the campus and walking down a road on grass, through ditches, and on the road shoulder, to get back to a sideway.

These roads through downtown are designed for cars to go fast. Most roads are 3+ lanes. This is car friendly. Not person friendly. Even in an ideal situation where you have roads built with stone to slow cars down, or stop signs which slow cars down, crossing 3 lanes is not pedestrian friendly. It's reasonable to have people cross 2 lanes, and to help them by enlarging the sidewalk into the road shoulder at the crosswalk.

(Incidentally, the country roads out of towns are 2 lanes and narrow and seem slightly scary and dangerous to me. Are accidents rare on these roads? At night?)

My own observations are further confirmed by the fact that I have seen very few other people walking around downtown. People instinctively feel that it is not a place for them to walk around in. So, for the most part, they don't chill down town walking around. That's what I'd prefer to do. But since the downtown is so not conducive to that I may instead prefer to drive to the huge pseudo-highway by I-40 which is way way more crowded. If people aren't given a welcoming environment to walk then they are forced to drive.

Is it POSSIBLE to walk? Sure. But is it built for people to walk? Not even close. Just because this isn't as bad as Houston doesn't mean it's good design for people.

And I'll make the prediction that this will only get worse in the future. Citizens aren't in control. The engineers in the DoT are. Will be fun to see what parts of our towns the DoT can wreck with new roads built for us with the infrastructure bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2021, 06:30 PM
 
303 posts, read 294,905 times
Reputation: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebruiser500 View Post
A couple days ago I went into a cafe in downtown Cookeville. Had a couple ham sandwiches with my son. I asked the girl at the desk, "Do more of your customers walk in or drive here?" She said driving, though occasionally someone from a business next door will walk in.

Sorry man but a walkability score isn't going to convince me of much given that I am actually physically here and spending hours walking around. Including a fun jaunt around the college campus (lmao, a 4 lane road here? This is just silly) which ended with me leaving the campus and walking down a road on grass, through ditches, and on the road shoulder, to get back to a sideway.

These roads through downtown are designed for cars to go fast. Most roads are 3+ lanes. This is car friendly. Not person friendly. Even in an ideal situation where you have roads built with stone to slow cars down, or stop signs which slow cars down, crossing 3 lanes is not pedestrian friendly. It's reasonable to have people cross 2 lanes, and to help them by enlarging the sidewalk into the road shoulder at the crosswalk.

(Incidentally, the country roads out of towns are 2 lanes and narrow and seem slightly scary and dangerous to me. Are accidents rare on these roads? At night?)

My own observations are further confirmed by the fact that I have seen very few other people walking around downtown. People instinctively feel that it is not a place for them to walk around in. So, for the most part, they don't chill down town walking around. That's what I'd prefer to do. But since the downtown is so not conducive to that I may instead prefer to drive to the huge pseudo-highway by I-40 which is way way more crowded. If people aren't given a welcoming environment to walk then they are forced to drive.

Is it POSSIBLE to walk? Sure. But is it built for people to walk? Not even close. Just because this isn't as bad as Houston doesn't mean it's good design for people.

And I'll make the prediction that this will only get worse in the future. Citizens aren't in control. The engineers in the DoT are. Will be fun to see what parts of our towns the DoT can wreck with new roads built for us with the infrastructure bill.

So are you living here or just visiting? I mean, if you don't like the way town is set up, that's your opinion. But if you are visiting with the intent to move here and don't like the way town is set up, this may not be the place for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top