Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2022, 09:42 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,946,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloHome View Post
Soul Craft Coffee in the historic Westside area downtown is really, really good. Not only their coffee, but I'm a big fan of their homemade pop tarts. Soul Craft is expanding to across the street in the last space that used to be part of Sports One which moved a couple of blocks west next to Fil-Thai. Soul Craft will still have its current coffee shop at 43 West Broad, but its restaurant will be across the street at 42 West Broad. I don't know when they're opening, but they built the kitchen this week in the new space. That'll make 6 restaurants/eateries right there in that block just a few feet from each other: Crawdaddy's, Seven Senses, The Blue Pig, Soul Craft Coffee, Jamie's Eats & Sweets, and this new place.
Soul Craft isn't opening a restaurant. They're converting that space into an extra kitchen for their existing café and will also use that space for cooking classes and private events. Their homemade pop tarts really are amazing.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2022, 06:17 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,507,319 times
IDK but I'd guess it will be a surgery center to serve as ancillary services to the medical offices in town. Four acres is typical of what we've seen from the hospitals around here when they've built surgicenters farther out in the county.

Old 10-11-2022, 05:30 AM

303 posts, read 294,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
An interesting turn of events: the four or so acres just south of the Depot where a hotel/conference center was going to be built before the pandemic has been sold to HCA Health Services of Tennessee. Anyone know what they have planned? That's way too small for another hospital which the state wouldn't approve anyway. I was thinking it could maybe be a large assisted care facility, but I can't see that HCA has any of those types of facilities. Either way, I guess this means the hotel/conference center plan is officially dead.

They do have smaller facilities though. There is a stand-alone ER right off exit 229 in Mt. Juliet. I'm not saying they would put that in town with the hospital two-ish blocks away, but just that they have some smaller facilities.

Old 10-11-2022, 06:51 AM

Quote:
An interesting turn of events: the four or so acres just south of the Depot where a hotel/conference center was going to be built before the pandemic has been sold to HCA Health Services of Tennessee. Anyone know what they have planned? That's way too small for another hospital which the state wouldn't approve anyway. I was thinking it could maybe be a large assisted care facility, but I can't see that HCA has any of those types of facilities. Either way, I guess this means the hotel/conference center plan is officially dead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinestx View Post
IDK but I'd guess it will be a surgery center to serve as ancillary services to the medical offices in town. Four acres is typical of what we've seen from the hospitals around here when they've built surgicenters farther out in the county.
Quote:
Originally Posted by justindb29 View Post
They do have smaller facilities though. There is a stand-alone ER right off exit 229 in Mt. Juliet. I'm not saying they would put that in town with the hospital two-ish blocks away, but just that they have some smaller facilities.
Oh yeah, I forgot that TriStar is part of HCA, and TriStar has several health facilities in the region besides just stand-alone ERs. HCA spent $3.5 million on that land in downtown Cookeville which seems a pretty steep price if all they have planned is a surgery center or some medical offices. Not that Cookeville doesn't need more medical offices and services, but I really think that lot should have some retail and restaurant components. Granted, a large medical building would add that many more well-paid workers downtown as well as hundreds of weekly patients, and I imagine its parking lot which would be available on nights and weekends.

Here's a medical building by I-40 in Lebanon that Tri Star recently built on a similarly sized lot (3.5 acres).
https://www.google.com/maps/place/92...!4d-86.3266635

If they do plan on some sort of medical facility (and I can't imagine why else HCA would've bought it if they didn't already have something in mind) maybe it'll be like what Vanderbilt Medical Center did with 100 Oaks in Nashville: medical offices and clinics upstairs with retail and restaurants at the ground level albeit on a smaller scale. I'll be hugely disappointed if they just build something like they did in Lebanon:
an office building surrounded by a sea of parking and zero street activation, although I guess that's still better than a vacant lot.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Last edited by JMT; 10-11-2022 at 07:25 AM..

Old 10-12-2022, 06:24 AM

730 posts, read 813,780 times
Quote:
Oh yeah, I forgot that TriStar is part of HCA, and TriStar has several health facilities in the region besides just stand-alone ERs. HCA spent $3.5 million on that land in downtown Cookeville which seems a pretty steep price if all they have planned is a surgery center or some medical offices. Not that Cookeville doesn't need more medical offices and services, but I really think that lot should have some retail and restaurant components. Granted, a large medical building would add that many more well-paid workers downtown as well as hundreds of weekly patients, and I imagine its parking lot which would be available on nights and weekends.

Here's a medical building by I-40 in Lebanon that Tri Star recently built on a similarly sized lot (3.5 acres).
https://www.google.com/maps/place/92...!4d-86.3266635

If they do plan on some sort of medical facility (and I can't imagine why else HCA would've bought it if they didn't already have something in mind) maybe it'll be like what Vanderbilt Medical Center did with 100 Oaks in Nashville: medical offices and clinics upstairs with retail and restaurants at the ground level albeit on a smaller scale. I'll be hugely disappointed if they just build something like they did in Lebanon:
an office building surrounded by a sea of parking and zero street activation, although I guess that's still better than a vacant lot.
The lot in downtown Cookeville is closer to 5 acres split up in three different properties. Someone I talked to who's seen at least part of the plans said that HCA plans on building a medical office building that will have a parking garage and not a lot of surface parking. It'll be a fee-based parking garage open to the public similar to what the hotel developer was going to have when that property was going to be a hotel and conference center. My friend wasn't aware of any retail or restaurants in the plans but added that he hadn't seen all of the plans. I forgot to ask where the parking garage was going to be located. In the original hotel/conference center plans the parking garage was going to be on Cedar next to Ralph's Doughnuts and across from Hix Farm Brewery and Meg's Bread.

Even if there are no restaurants or retail in this development, I think this will be a boon to downtown, especially the West Side. Between those who will be working there and all the patients, that's a lot more people who will be eating lunch downtown or hang around afterwards for dinner or drinks. This should also be a huge boost to efforts to bring more housing downtown. I mean, if I were a well paid medical professional with a job downtown, I would love to be able to live downtown, walk to work, walk to bars and restaurants, walk to shops, concerts, the farmers market, festivals, etc. A lot of retirees are looking for the same thing.

Here are the three lots in question.

1.3 acres
3.5 acres
1/2 acre

Old 10-13-2022, 01:09 PM

News of HCA's purchase of the 5 acres across from the Depot has made it to 94.1 and UCBJ. As usual, the Herald-Citizen is late to the party.

Here's the link to 94.1's article:
https://newstalk941.com/hca-healthca...wn-cookeville/

And the link to UCBJ's article:
https://www.ucbjournal.com/hca-healt...wo-9rdSHfTIkMQ

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 10-15-2022, 08:41 AM

The H-C finally reported on it but didn't have any additional information about HCA's plans although their article does go into detail on the history of this property and why the hotel/conference center didn't happen. It also has a nice picture of the lot in question. HCA spent $3.5 million for 5 prime acres downtown, I have a hard time believing all they're going to do is build a surgery center or a free-standing ER. I hope we'll know soon what they have planned.

https://herald-citizen.com/stories/h...roperty,66178?

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 10-25-2022, 06:15 PM

730 posts, read 813,780 times
Quote:
El Milagro, the Mexican market and restaurant that was across the street from Dairy Queen downtown, has moved to a larger space with more parking at 715 West Spring.

The building where El Milagro used to be is going to be torn down, and that entire block--except for Ralph's Doughnuts--is going to be developed with some luxury townhomes. 60 in all. Once the RAO is approved by the planning department, they should start demolition within 6 months. This does not include the former Builders Supply building but it does include the old Builders Supply storage sheds. The development will be called West Side Connection and will be accessed via Cedar right next to Ralph's and also on Oak, but many of the units will front Spring Street.
It looks like this development is going forward. Still no word on when construction will begin. But these are going to be good-sized apartments, over 2,000 square feet each. The HCA mystery development is right next door to the north.

"A new urban residential development is moving forward in downtown Cookeville.

"The city planning commission Monday approved the preliminary Redevelopment Area Overlay plan for West Side Connection, a 60-unit residential development on Spring Street and Cedar and Oak avenues, which includes the previous location of Builders Supply and El Milagro restaurant.

"Cookeville Community Development Director Jon Ward said there would be 20 three-story structures with 2,083 square feet per dwelling unit, each of which will include two bedrooms and two bathrooms."

https://herald-citizen.com/stories/d...-forward,67390

Old 10-26-2022, 07:42 AM

Quote:
It looks like this development is going forward. Still no word on when construction will begin. But these are going to be good-sized apartments, over 2,000 square feet each. The HCA mystery development is right next door to the north.

"A new urban residential development is moving forward in downtown Cookeville.

"The city planning commission Monday approved the preliminary Redevelopment Area Overlay plan for West Side Connection, a 60-unit residential development on Spring Street and Cedar and Oak avenues, which includes the previous location of Builders Supply and El Milagro restaurant.

"Cookeville Community Development Director Jon Ward said there would be 20 three-story structures with 2,083 square feet per dwelling unit, each of which will include two bedrooms and two bathrooms."

https://herald-citizen.com/stories/d...-forward,67390

I wonder if the developer of these luxury apartments knows something about HCA's plans. I mean, I wouldn't have thought that there would be a market for so many expensive apartments in downtown Cookeville, but if HCA plans on some kind of facility with a bunch of high-paid doctors and nurses next door, maybe Bernhardt is marketing the apartments to them. I'm just speculating and have zero inside information on all this.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 10-26-2022, 03:49 PM

262 posts, read 522,986 times
Quote:
News of HCA's purchase of the 5 acres across from the Depot has made it to 94.1 and UCBJ. As usual, the Herald-Citizen is late to the party.

Here's the link to 94.1's article:
https://newstalk941.com/hca-healthca...wn-cookeville/

And the link to UCBJ's article:
https://www.ucbjournal.com/hca-healt...wo-9rdSHfTIkMQ
I had occasion to be in the press area of the Herald Citizen last week and discovered that they are no longer printing the paper there and in fact the building is to be sold. Our paper is being printed in Sevierville currently and trucked here to be put in the mail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville