Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2023, 06:17 PM

731 posts, read 824,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloHome View Post
I heard on 94.1 this morning that the people renovating the 1920's-era old Pepsi bottling building on the SW corner of Spring and Walnut are putting in a brick oven pizzeria in part of the building. The other part will be a new location for Vertical Coffee while the upstairs will be apartments. This will make the 3rd pizzeria on the west side, not including the Pizza Machine food truck (well old school bus). Seems like a lot of pizzerias.
Business licenses have been issued for the two new pizza places coming to downtown, but I can't find any web presence for either one. The one in the old Pepsi building will be called Gene's Place, and the one on 1st which will also have a rooftop bar will be called Fire & Vine.

From the business license application, "Gene's Place" is owned by Gene Hayenga who is the same person that Jig Head Brewery brought down from Chicago to run its pizza place in Algood, now called Manny's Wood Fire Pizza. I have no idea if Gene's Place is also affiliated with Jig Head or Manny's, or if maybe Gene and Jig Head/Manny's had a parting of the ways. I assume we'll find out more when it opens. And I wonder if it'll be the deep dish style of pizza that Chicago is famous for.

Fire & Vine is being developed by the same chef who owns the very swank Putnam Room downtown across from the courthouse. If his pizzas are as good as everything else he makes, it'll be a hit. I'm sure the rooftop bar will be popular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2023, 07:28 AM

13,367 posts, read 40,060,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloHome View Post
Business licenses have been issued for the two new pizza places coming to downtown, but I can't find any web presence for either one. The one in the old Pepsi building will be called Gene's Place, and the one on 1st which will also have a rooftop bar will be called Fire & Vine.

From the business license application, "Gene's Place" is owned by Gene Hayenga who is the same person that Jig Head Brewery brought down from Chicago to run its pizza place in Algood, now called Manny's Wood Fire Pizza. I have no idea if Gene's Place is also affiliated with Jig Head or Manny's, or if maybe Gene and Jig Head/Manny's had a parting of the ways. I assume we'll find out more when it opens. And I wonder if it'll be the deep dish style of pizza that Chicago is famous for.

Fire & Vine is being developed by the same chef who owns the very swank Putnam Room downtown across from the courthouse. If his pizzas are as good as everything else he makes, it'll be a hit. I'm sure the rooftop bar will be popular.
I'm sure both of those will be great. I'm just worried about the Pizza Machine which right now seems to divide its time between Red Silo Brewery, which is right across the street from Fire & Vine, and its more permanent spot which is right across the street from Gene's Place. Will the Pizza Machine be forced to go elsewhere?

Then there's World Foods which has amazing pizza and is around the corner from Fire & Vine. I know that Cookeville is the kind of place where locally owned businesses are fiercely loyal to each other and support each other, but I still wonder if we can support that many pizza places in one neighborhood.

One thing's for sure: I'm eager to try each one of them. Maybe do some kind of a "pizza crawl" around the WestSide. We start out at Gene's Place where a bunch of us share one pizza. Then we walk to World Foods and get a pizza to share which we take to Red Silo to enjoy the pizza with some home brew and live music. Then we head across the street to Fire & Vine for our final pizza and then walk upstairs to the rooftop bar for the nightcap.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 04-06-2023, 08:44 AM

1,117 posts, read 1,621,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I'm sure both of those will be great. I'm just worried about the Pizza Machine which right now seems to divide its time between Red Silo Brewery, which is right across the street from Fire & Vine, and its more permanent spot which is right across the street from Gene's Place. Will the Pizza Machine be forced to go elsewhere?

Then there's World Foods which has amazing pizza and is around the corner from Fire & Vine. I know that Cookeville is the kind of place where locally owned businesses are fiercely loyal to each other and support each other, but I still wonder if we can support that many pizza places in one neighborhood.

One thing's for sure: I'm eager to try each one of them. Maybe do some kind of a "pizza crawl" around the WestSide. We start out at Gene's Place where a bunch of us share one pizza. Then we walk to World Foods and get a pizza to share which we take to Red Silo to enjoy the pizza with some home brew and live music. Then we head across the street to Fire & Vine for our final pizza and then walk upstairs to the rooftop bar for the nightcap.
I don't think there would be a lot of crossover business between Fire and Vine and Pizza Machine; walk up to go versus wine bar. Even when Pizza Machine is at Red Silo, I'd bet most of their business is from walk up rather than Redd Silo patrons. Gene's Place...I don't think Gene is still with Manny's Pizza...or doesn't seem to be I wonder if Gene's Place will have a variance to serve alcohol as it's every close to First Baptist Church. If so, I would think that more crossover might occur between Fire and Vine and Gene's Place.

Old 04-06-2023, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tragenvol View Post
I don't think there would be a lot of crossover business between Fire and Vine and Pizza Machine; walk up to go versus wine bar. Even when Pizza Machine is at Red Silo, I'd bet most of their business is from walk up rather than Redd Silo patrons. Gene's Place...I don't think Gene is still with Manny's Pizza...or doesn't seem to be I wonder if Gene's Place will have a variance to serve alcohol as it's every close to First Baptist Church. If so, I would think that more crossover might occur between Fire and Vine and Gene's Place.
I think you're right. I'm probably overthinking it and am worrying over nothing. If anything, the addition of these two new pizza places--both which are promising to be much more upscale than a traditional pizza joint--should create a lot of synergy. I work in East Nashville near the airport, and a lot of my coworkers actually drive to Cookeville on weekends to hang out in the WestSide (some are Tech graduates and just like coming back to town). I think the more entertainment and restaurant options there are, the more popular the area will become.

Side question: Has HCA said yet what they plan on doing with that large lot they purchased just south of the Depot? I know the 60+ luxury condos behind Ralph's should be starting soon once the city finishes its sewer upgrades, and that's immediately adjacent to the HCA property.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 04-06-2023, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Side question: Has HCA said yet what they plan on doing with that large lot they purchased just south of the Depot? I know the 60+ luxury condos behind Ralph's should be starting soon once the city finishes its sewer upgrades, and that's immediately adjacent to the HCA property.
Haven't heard anything, but one can easily speculate a push for more entry into the market. With recent news of Ascension/St. Thomas on Neal Street...things could become interesting for Cookeville Regional. I just pray that HCA doesn't get their hands on it if it sells....customer costs will increase. The best scenario for Cookeville Regional customers, if it ever sells, would be either acquisition by Ascension/St. Thomas or Vanderbilt.

Old 04-07-2023, 01:22 PM

3 posts, read 1,844 times
Quote:
Haven't heard anything, but one can easily speculate a push for more entry into the market. With recent news of Ascension/St. Thomas on Neal Street...things could become interesting for Cookeville Regional. I just pray that HCA doesn't get their hands on it if it sells....customer costs will increase. The best scenario for Cookeville Regional customers, if it ever sells, would be either acquisition by Ascension/St. Thomas or Vanderbilt.
Saint Thomas on Neal street? Can you tell me more about this

Old 04-08-2023, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtotown2023 View Post
Quote:
Yes, it was sold for $1.8 million in November 2021 to a group called AFUTR LLC. I can't find any info on AFUTR LLC other than it's based in downtown Nashville. Near the old photo studio (which was a beautiful old antebellum mansion) there's some large earth-moving equipment moving large amounts of dirt across from the Honda dealership. I wonder if it's all part of a larger development? I think it's way too hilly to be any sort of retail development but who knows. Maybe dense residential? Nothing has been submitted to the planning commission yet so I have no idea.

You aren't kidding about no information. It's a Delaware LLC formed in June 2020 with pretty much no other info. Par for the course for "Delaware based" companies. I didn't even see anything about downtown Nashville.

However, I was told awhile back that the land is supposedly being developed for scension St Thomas.

Old 04-09-2023, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtotown2023 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Yes, it was sold for $1.8 million in November 2021 to a group called AFUTR LLC. I can't find any info on AFUTR LLC other than it's based in downtown Nashville. Near the old photo studio (which was a beautiful old antebellum mansion) there's some large earth-moving equipment moving large amounts of dirt across from the Honda dealership. I wonder if it's all part of a larger development? I think it's way too hilly to be any sort of retail development but who knows. Maybe dense residential? Nothing has been submitted to the planning commission yet so I have no idea.

You aren't kidding about no information. It's a Delaware LLC formed in June 2020 with pretty much no other info. Par for the course for "Delaware based" companies. I didn't even see anything about downtown Nashville.

However, I was told awhile back that the land is supposedly being developed for scension St Thomas.
Here's a link to the post that mentioned the possible Ascension-St Thomas development on Neal:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/65082292-post988.html

It's in this thread about Cookeville developments and rumors:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/cooke...rumors-99.html

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 04-12-2023, 10:48 AM

Bobby Q's had its grand reopening yesterday. I'm going to give them a few days to get the kinks worked out before going, but I've heard it's just as good as the old Bobby Q's plus with the added signature dishes from Monell's in Nashville such as Monell's famous skillet fried chicken. I like what they've done to the building. It looks a lot more inviting and brighter. I particularly like the outdoor seating.

https://bobbyqscookevilletn.com/

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 04-13-2023, 05:30 AM

Nashville's Channel 5 has a nice little segment on the reopening of Cookeville's beloved Bobby Q's.

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/wo...CJngJkRfzwZXX4

And an article in the UC Business Journal has more details on why it took a year for the restaurant to reopen instead of just a few months. Among the quotes from the new owner, Nashville's Michael King, there's this one:

“I love the restaurant scene in Cookeville,” said King. “There is a lot of volume here, and I just love the energy. We have been received wonderfully.

and this one which I find interesting:

What’s next for Bobby Q’s? Expansion, franchising and a stepping into the future are the ultimate goals.

“We have a couple of locations we are already thinking about,” said King. “It’s going to be more futuristic where you order everything on the app. You will go into the store. You won’t see anybody. You will go to your food locker, and your hot food will already be there. The cooks will be on the other side. We are at that point where everybody needs convenience.”

https://www.ucbjournal.com/bobby-qs-...n-opening-day/

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Last edited by JMT; 04-13-2023 at 07:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville