Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2019, 03:12 AM

1,056 posts, read 724,360 times

Advertisements

For example, there is NO Dollar General in western Putnam County, but many rural communities have successful ones even away from lakes, medium cities and four-lane highways, and the Baxter one is massively crowded. Commercial-zoned land shouldn't be a problem either; there are abandoned commercial buildings at Exits 276, 273 and 268 (the latter of which has long been for sale) that, if DG bought, they could tear down and replace. Even a lot of my family agrees that the abandoned building in Buffalo Valley would probably be a good place for one, and that little community isn't good for much and has no businesses currently...

Additionally, the Bloody Eighth in the South of Putnam County has nothing but a popular marina and single gas station, all the while having good road connections, decent population, attractive lake access and wealthy residents. Why is this? Surely they could support a DG or something too, which could again clear some of the crowd at the Baxter one.

As always, discuss away!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2019, 08:35 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt-lover L.A.M. View Post
For example, there is NO Dollar General in western Putnam County, but many rural communities have successful ones even away from lakes, medium cities and four-lane highways, and the Baxter one is massively crowded. Commercial-zoned land shouldn't be a problem either; there are abandoned commercial buildings at Exits 276, 273 and 268 (the latter of which has long been for sale) that, if DG bought, they could tear down and replace. Even a lot of my family agrees that the abandoned building in Buffalo Valley would probably be a good place for one, and that little community isn't good for much and has no businesses currently...

Additionally, the Bloody Eighth in the South of Putnam County has nothing but a popular marina and single gas station, all the while having good road connections, decent population, attractive lake access and wealthy residents. Why is this? Surely they could support a DG or something too, which could again clear some of the crowd at the Baxter one.

As always, discuss away!
I'm surprised, too, that Dollar General hasn't built any additional stores in the western part of Putnam County. A DG at Exit 273 would be popular as it would be the only grocery store anywhere near all those cabins and houseboats at Center Hill Lake.

There is going to be a grocery store, rumored to be Food City, at the development in Baxter across the street from Dollar General. I would love to see downtown Baxter restored to its former glory. Back in the day it had a movie theater, multiple grocery stores, several restaurants, etc. The new train depot is a big step in the right direction. The new park where Baxter Seminary used to be will also do a lot to bring people (and businesses) back into town.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 06-28-2019, 09:26 PM

1,056 posts, read 724,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I'm surprised, too, that Dollar General hasn't built any additional stores in the western part of Putnam County. A DG at Exit 273 would be popular as it would be the only grocery store anywhere near all those cabins and houseboats at Center Hill Lake.

There is going to be a grocery store, rumored to be Food City, at the development in Baxter across the street from Dollar General. I would love to see downtown Baxter restored to its former glory. Back in the day it had a movie theater, multiple grocery stores, several restaurants, etc. The new train depot is a big step in the right direction. The new park where Baxter Seminary used to be will also do a lot to bring people (and businesses) back into town.
I agree that a DG at Exit 273 would be especially popular with the lake. Same goes with 268. Either Silver Point or Buffalo Valley would have that advantage, but I would like one in BV more because both SP and Granville would then both be closest to it (which means more customers), and there's already open space in BV.

I agree that Baxter should be restored to its former glory too, but it'll probably happen someday as Cookeville spreads out. It's already a suburb of the latter, and Algood has been developing more over the past decade. Hopefully they're prepared to have to widen either 70N or Buffalo Valley to four lanes, or else the interstate to six, to accommodate the additional traffic when that happens. Maybe they should even consider building a third connector from Baxter to Buffalo Valley on the county level, or if not, rebuild the highway west of Baxter to be bigger and add a decent connector to Exit 268 (the interstate curves away enough to make 273 inconvenient to/from the north).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville