Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 09:10 AM

44 posts, read 42,242 times

Advertisements

Mentally preparing myself for an eventual move to the area. Already a fan of the Nashville Predators.

I know Tennessee Tech sports are big. And Vanderbilt and the Titans. Any other leagues to follow? Minor League Baseball? I think the Nashville Sounds are still around.

Curious about what Major League Baseball teams local residents follow? Atlanta Braves? Any Yankee fans in the area?

This could seriously weigh in the decision-making process when it comes to making our final decision (LOL).

Thanks!
-Fran
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2019, 09:36 AM

1,115 posts, read 1,608,376 times
Depending upon where you are (and how old you are in some areas) in Tennessee determines your MLB loyalty. Most of West Tennessee follows the Cardinals. Due to the Braves surge in the 90s....East and Middle Tennessee are Atlanta fans. A lot of older folks from northern Middle and East Tennessee areas are Cincinnati Reds fans. There will always be Yankee fans, but not concentrated to any area.

One correction to your statement above...if I may...Vanderbilt...sure, it has a following, but Vandy (whether folks like it or not) plays little brother to the Vols.

Old 07-15-2019, 10:14 AM

44 posts, read 42,242 times
Tragenvol, thanks for the information. Didn't even think about the Cardinals/Reds! I'm think I'm geographically challenged (LOL).

And thanks for reminding me about the Vols. Vanderbilt was the first that popped into my head! Looks like there's a lot of teams to root for locally.

Old 07-15-2019, 10:38 AM

4,882 posts, read 5,014,125 times
You would be surprised about the Cards. KMOX, their flagship station, could blast a good signal, deep into Mississippi Delta at night and points east. Long before any MLB team thought of locating south of the Ohio River.

Old 07-15-2019, 10:55 AM

9 posts, read 4,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tragenvol View Post
Depending upon where you are (and how old you are in some areas) in Tennessee determines your MLB loyalty. Most of West Tennessee follows the Cardinals. Due to the Braves surge in the 90s....East and Middle Tennessee are Atlanta fans. A lot of older folks from northern Middle and East Tennessee areas are Cincinnati Reds fans. There will always be Yankee fans, but not concentrated to any area.

One correction to your statement above...if I may...Vanderbilt...sure, it has a following, but Vandy (whether folks like it or not) plays little brother to the Vols.
Tennessee has a ton more fans than Vanderbilt, but Vanderbilt is gaining tons of new fans, especially closer to Nashville. Oh, and Vanderbilt might be “little brother” but little brother has won three in a row in football 🙂

Old 07-15-2019, 11:01 AM

162 posts, read 178,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frannybu View Post
I know Tennessee Tech sports are big.
This depends on who you ask. In general, TTU sports are not very big. Baseball has been pretty good the past few years. Last year they made the NCAA tournament.

Other than that, the football team is pretty poor.

Basketball is debatable if they are good or not. Not typically on a national level.

Old 07-15-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDores38501 View Post
Tennessee has a ton more fans than Vanderbilt, but Vanderbilt is gaining tons of new fans, especially closer to Nashville.
A fair assessment would not be tons of new fans for Vandy regardless of how many consecutive wins they have against Tennessee. Most people moving into Nashville already have their loyalties.

Last edited by tragenvol; 07-15-2019 at 11:59 AM..

Old 07-15-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpsman View Post
Basketball is debatable if they are good or not. Not typically on a national level.
Excited about basketball with the hiring of Coach Pelphrey. TTU basketball was a lot of fun in the early to mid-nineties.

Old 07-15-2019, 12:13 PM

13,353 posts, read 39,959,401 times
Even in Nashville, home of Vanderbilt, Tennessee sports dominate the local news. But as Vanderbilt football has gotten better, there's more Vandy fans than there used to be. But I'm sure the minute Vandy reverts to its old doormat self, the fickle fans will fade away again.

There are quite a few Vandy fans in Cookeville; local sons Mack and Watson Brown played at Vanderbilt. Mack went on to become head coach at Texas and win the national championship there. I believe Cookeville High School's football stadium is named for their uncle, another local football legend who supported Vanderbilt over Tennessee. The Browns' mother still lives in Cookeville (as does Watson) and they regularly host Vanderbilt fundraisers in their homes and still actively recruit for Vandy.

A reason the Cincinnati Reds are popular is because Nashville's minor league Sounds were the Reds' AAA farm team back in the day. Otherwise, I agree with tragenvol that most baseball fans in the area prefer the Braves. This is solidly NL territory as the 3 closest teams are the Braves, Reds, and the Cardinals. Interestingly, some influential people (like Tony Larussa and Alberto Gonzales) are trying to bring the MLB to Nashville, especially an AL team since the AL doesn't have a foothold in the region. Who knows if they'll be successful. Anyway, there's not a shortage of Yankees fans in the area, too. I know a lot of people who love the Braves but also the Yankees.

For the NFL, there's a surprising number of locals who like the Colts because that's where Peyton Manning spent most of his NFL years. There's not as many as there used to be, now that Peyton has retired back to Tennessee, but you'll still see a lot of Colts stickers and license plates on cars around town.

Don't forget that Nashville is also getting a Major League Soccer team so will be home to 3 major league sports franchises (MLS, NFL, NHL) in addition to AAA baseball. I wish more people would support Tennessee Tech sports, though. Basketball and baseball games at TTU are a lot of fun.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 07-15-2019, 12:47 PM

13,353 posts, read 39,959,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpsman View Post
This depends on who you ask. In general, TTU sports are not very big. Baseball has been pretty good the past few years. Last year they made the NCAA tournament.
I meant to post this earlier but your post reminded me I hadn't done it yet. The blog Stadium Journey has ranked Tennessee Tech as the 4th best (tied with South Carolina) Division 1 baseball experience in the entire NCAA. Tech is in some very good company, right behind Clemson, LSU, and Florida State and ahead of Virginia, Texas, Arkansas, Alabama, and Georgia.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Last edited by JMT; 07-15-2019 at 02:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville