U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-18-2020, 08:39 AM
 
1,009 posts, read 599,173 times
Reputation: 1019

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCartpath View Post
Seriously? 3,500,000+ infected and 138,000+ dead in the US - and counting - from a disease with no known cure as yet, and you don't think it's a "true medical crisis"? I'm astounded that so many people ignore the seriousness of this...as long as they or their family aren't directly affected.
But no one died from heart disease, vaping, cancer, obesity-diabetes, kidney disease or in traffic accidents
Rate this post positively

 
Old 07-18-2020, 09:03 AM
 
427 posts, read 388,146 times
Reputation: 634
Perspective

To date there has been 815 total COVID related deaths statewide in Tennessee.

According to the CDC, there was 1,646 Influenza/Pneumonia deaths per 100,000 total population statewide in Tennessee for year 2018 (2019/2020 data not available yet). The population of Tennessee per 2020 census is 6,897,580.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-18-2020, 09:26 AM
JRR
 
Location: Middle Tennessee
5,593 posts, read 3,272,328 times
Reputation: 9230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumeby View Post
Perspective

To date there has been 815 total COVID related deaths statewide in Tennessee.

According to the CDC, there was 1,646 Influenza/Pneumonia deaths per 100,000 total population statewide in Tennessee for year 2018 (2019/2020 data not available yet). The population of Tennessee per 2020 census is 6,897,580.
Focusing just on the number of deaths due to COVID-19 is ignoring the other problems it can cause. Getting the virus does not necessarily have a binary outcome: either you die or you recover and go on with your life as before. There can be ongoing problems with your lungs, heart, kidneys, etc. And since this virus is still so new to us, it is not known how long these problems would stay with a person.

We still have so much to learn about this.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-18-2020, 09:42 AM
 
1,275 posts, read 4,508,458 times
Reputation: 1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDawg View Post
But no one died from heart disease, vaping, cancer, obesity-diabetes, kidney disease or in traffic accidents
People have also died from suicide, plane crashes and boating accidents...but I don't see what that has to do with the Covid-19 pandemic
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-18-2020, 11:21 AM
 
427 posts, read 388,146 times
Reputation: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Focusing just on the number of deaths due to COVID-19 is ignoring the other problems it can cause. Getting the virus does not necessarily have a binary outcome: either you die or you recover and go on with your life as before. There can be ongoing problems with your lungs, heart, kidneys, etc. And since this virus is still so new to us, it is not known how long these problems would stay with a person.

We still have so much to learn about this.
I agree that there is much to learn about this virus but we can look at existing data and compare this data to other Coronaviruses. Part of the problem seems to be the lack of consistent and reliable data and information coming from our own national health agencies and the world health organization.

Looking at mortality rate is important when determining what actions should be taken to combat the virus and comparing these actions to other actions taken in the past for other diseases that threaten life.

Comparing the mortality rate and actions taken for COVID and comparing to the mortality rate and actions taken for the common flu is important because we deal with the flu every year.

Would we shut-down our economy causing massive unemployment and business losses for the flu every year? The impacts of doing this to the people and our nation is unsustainable. Our nation would not survive long if we took the same actions for the annual flu season as we are doing for COVID. But yet the mortality rate for COVID is less than a bad flu season.

Aside from the economic damage done with these actions to combat COVID there are many other aspects of our society being negatively impacted and some causing death also like preventive medical screenings and procedures not being performed, rise of substance abuse, domestic abuse, rise in depression & suicides and rise in violent and deadly crimes. This is what we are experiencing today. People get desperate when there livelihood is taken away.

Another issue that really gets to me is the shutdown of normal educational classroom teaching. This is extremely important for our children. The children learn best in the classroom with other classmates. They learn more than education, they are socialized with other children and this is very important in our society.

We need to take a hard look at what were are allowing to happen to our society for COVID. I get it that we are experiencing a deadly virus but we don't want to take such drastic actions that will hurt our society even more. What good is it if we destroy our society taking these drastic actions just to reduce a death count that is less deadlier than the common flu. That makes no sense.

Last edited by Jumeby; 07-18-2020 at 12:25 PM..
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-18-2020, 11:47 AM
 
3,980 posts, read 1,475,653 times
Reputation: 3406
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDawg View Post
But no one died from heart disease, vaping, cancer, obesity-diabetes, kidney disease or in traffic accidents
On that same topic of evaluating an new location. I'd research if it were a cancer cluster/brown site because that's important to me. And I'd notice if everyone was obese and there were lots of smokers or if the roads were filled with crazy teenage or old, slow and bad drivers. Everyone has their own criteria of how they want to live and who they'd prefer to live near.
I'd notice if resident and visitors were not practicing social distancing and mask wearing during these Covid times.
Some things are more important than others and bad drivers are not going to keep me away. I'll need to make a new social circle after all.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-18-2020, 01:04 PM
JRR
 
Location: Middle Tennessee
5,593 posts, read 3,272,328 times
Reputation: 9230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumeby View Post
I agree that there is much to learn about this virus but we can look at existing data and compare this data to other Coronaviruses. Part of the problem seems to be the lack of consistent and reliable data and information coming from our own national health agencies and the world health organization.

Looking at mortality rate is important when determining what actions should be taken to combat the virus and comparing these actions to other actions taken in the past for other diseases that threaten life.

Comparing the mortality rate and actions taken for COVID and comparing to the mortality rate and actions taken for the common flu is important because we deal with the flu every year.

Would we shut-down our economy causing massive unemployment and business losses for the flu every year? The impacts of doing this to the people and our nation is unsustainable. Our nation would not survive long if we took the same actions for the annual flu season as we are doing for COVID. But yet the mortality rate for COVID is less than a bad flu season.

Aside from the economic damage done with these actions to combat COVID there are many other aspects of our society being negatively impacted and some causing death also like preventive medical screenings and procedures not being performed, rise of substance abuse, domestic abuse, rise in depression & suicides and rise in violent and deadly crimes. This is what we are experiencing today. People get desperate when there livelihood is taken away.

Another issue that really gets to me is the shutdown of normal educational classroom teaching. This is extremely important for our children. The children learn best in the classroom with other classmates. They learn more than education, they are socialized with other children and this is very important in our society.

We need to take a hard look at what were are allowing to happen to our society for COVID. I get it that we are experiencing a deadly virus but we don't want to take such drastic actions that will hurt our society even more. What good is it if we destroy our society taking these drastic actions just to reduce a death count that is less deadlier than the common flu. That makes no sense.
The idea of doing the relatively simple things of wearing a mask in certain situations when out in public and keeping reasonable distances is so that we don't have to do the drastic actions you are concerned about. No one wants to go back to shutting things down again, so why not do what we can to avoid that happening again?
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-18-2020, 03:13 PM
 
Location: Indian Trail, NC
837 posts, read 1,464,546 times
Reputation: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
The idea of doing the relatively simple things of wearing a mask in certain situations when out in public and keeping reasonable distances is so that we don't have to do the drastic actions you are concerned about. No one wants to go back to shutting things down again, so why not do what we can to avoid that happening again?
I completely agree. Plus, it is mandatory here in NC. When it was announced, Kroger owned Harris Teeter announced that they would not enforce the requirement, stating they did not want to put their employees in that position. I stopped shopping there at that time. Kroger has since announced that it will make it mandatory in all of their owned stores.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-18-2020, 03:39 PM
 
1,009 posts, read 599,173 times
Reputation: 1019
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCartpath View Post
People have also died from suicide, plane crashes and boating accidents...but I don't see what that has to do with the Covid-19 pandemic
They are not reporting anything except SARS CV19 is my point.
My internist had five patients die this past week - none from this virus: 1 heart, 2 renal, 2 cancer. But, the DC's were whited out and 19 written on top as cause of death. That's a fraud
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-18-2020, 06:45 PM
 
427 posts, read 388,146 times
Reputation: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
The idea of doing the relatively simple things of wearing a mask in certain situations when out in public and keeping reasonable distances is so that we don't have to do the drastic actions you are concerned about. No one wants to go back to shutting things down again, so why not do what we can to avoid that happening again?

Some states (example California) are taking actions to go back to shutting down things again. This is the new trend. Nashville is even going back in the wrong direction.
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top