Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2020, 05:14 AM

7,059 posts, read 6,326,497 times

Advertisements

I haven't visited Cookeville even though it was high on my retirement list. I didn't visit because I was discouraged from doing so when I said I have allergies. Instead I relocated to Arizona.

However, I have allergies here too. Not as bad as when I lived in Minnesota but I still keep tissues handy.

I have come to the conclusion that I will have allergies no matter where I am. It's something I've lived with for years and will continue to do so.

That saying, Cookeville is back on my list to visit. When, after the end of April, would be a good time? Also, I plan on camping while I'm there. Is there free or cheap camping available by Cookeville?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2020, 07:29 AM

13,362 posts, read 40,037,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I haven't visited Cookeville even though it was high on my retirement list. I didn't visit because I was discouraged from doing so when I said I have allergies. Instead I relocated to Arizona.

However, I have allergies here too. Not as bad as when I lived in Minnesota but I still keep tissues handy.

I have come to the conclusion that I will have allergies no matter where I am. It's something I've lived with for years and will continue to do so.

That saying, Cookeville is back on my list to visit. When, after the end of April, would be a good time? Also, I plan on camping while I'm there. Is there free or cheap camping available by Cookeville?
If you want to experience Tennessee at its "worst" as far as heat and humidity then come in July. Or if you want to come at the worst time for allergies, April/May is a good time.

I do understand your predicament. I thought by moving to Utah my allergies would get better, but I had worst allergies out there than I do in Tennessee. Plus the oppressive dryness wreaked havoc on my sinuses.

There are state parks close to Cookeville that offer good deals on camping:

Edgar Evins, which overlooks Center Hill Lake:
https://tnstateparks.com/parks/edgar-evins

Standing Stone State Park, just north of town:
https://tnstateparks.com/parks/standing-stone

And Corps of Engineers campgrounds on area lakes:
https://www.recreation.gov/camping/campgrounds/232589

Indian Creek TN Homepage|

https://www.recreation.gov/camping/campgrounds/232697

https://www.recreation.gov/camping/campgrounds/232564

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 03-02-2020, 08:52 AM
JRR

8,181 posts, read 5,692,662 times
We have found that our allergies are about the same here as in Central Florida; no better and no worse. Not anything that makes our life unbearable.

Kind of a funny story about the summer heat. Before we finalized our decision to move here, I wanted my wife to experience the summer heat. So we came up for a stay the last week of July. Got here on a Sunday and it was perfect for what I wanted; hot and humid; real sticky. Big storm front rolled through that night; lots of rain and thunder/lightning.

Rest of the week was absolutely gorgeous; moderate temperature and moderate humidity. Everyone we talked to kept saying how unusual it was to have weather like that in July. So much for my idea of subjecting my wife to the horrible hot Tennessee summer weather.

Coming from Central Florida, we find that the weather suits us just fine. Yeah, it can get pretty darn hot in July/August. But it doesn't drag on for months like in Florida (the high there Wednesday is going to be 86) and once the sun goes down it can be real pleasant when we are over in Dogwood Park for an evening concert. And it was nice to sit at my desk the other morning with my cup of coffee, watching the snow come down, knowing that it would not be hanging around for very long.

Old 03-02-2020, 12:47 PM

7,059 posts, read 6,326,497 times
Jmt, thank you for the resources. I do not want to visit during the worst times. My intention at this time is to visit during the good times because, for the worst times, usually only a few months, either air conditioning or heat takes care of it and is not representative of the year for the state.

JRR, it's your comments in the retirement forum that have kept me interested. I've pretty much followed what you post and the interesting events you attend and your genuine love of your new city have really made me rethink Cookeville, and Tennessee in general.

I think it was necessary for me to find out my allergies are there no matter where I live.

Old 06-16-2020, 09:10 PM

15 posts, read 16,877 times
We are excited to be visiting Cookeville, even if during the "worst" time in late July. We loved Indian Creek campground two years ago, and are glad to have a spot there again. We only had a half day to spend in Cookeville just passing through. But after following this forum and other sources, we really look forward to exploring more this time!

Old 06-17-2020, 08:12 AM

13,362 posts, read 40,037,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTurtle View Post
We are excited to be visiting Cookeville, even if during the "worst" time in late July. We loved Indian Creek campground two years ago, and are glad to have a spot there again. We only had a half day to spend in Cookeville just passing through. But after following this forum and other sources, we really look forward to exploring more this time!
Enjoy your visit! I live close to Indian Creek. If you didn't get a chance last time, be sure to try the restaurant at Wildwood Marina which just recently reopened for the season. Not only is the food good, but the views over the lake are beautiful.

As time approaches, be sure to come back to the forum and let us know so we can offer more suggestions. Even with many things closed or cancelled because of covid-19, most restaurants and stores are open, and I imagine even more will be open by the end of July.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 07-21-2020, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Enjoy your visit! I live close to Indian Creek. If you didn't get a chance last time, be sure to try the restaurant at Wildwood Marina which just recently reopened for the season. Not only is the food good, but the views over the lake are beautiful.

As time approaches, be sure to come back to the forum and let us know so we can offer more suggestions. Even with many things closed or cancelled because of covid-19, most restaurants and stores are open, and I imagine even more will be open by the end of July.
Well, we are here and it is as beautiful as we remember. Very hot but enjoyed some ice cream and a breeze. Going to drive around some more and see more of the town.

Old 07-27-2020, 09:47 AM

We did go by the Wildwood Marina, but it was pouring rain! Looks beautiful there, and the rain cooled everything down a bit. We saw Cane Creek Park and had lunch under the trees. We enjoyed driving around seeing neighborhoods and talking with locals at times. We met a young couple who had moved from Ca, found professional jobs and now enjoy their acreage with horses, and family will soon move to e with them. They love the people, and I asked about crime as one was in a position to know. Good report in that department as well. We saw some nice neighborhoods and the high school was beautiful and clean compared to what I'm used to seeing! Seems to be evidence of pride of ownership everywhere we looked. The hospital looked large for a community it's size, and one shop owner said she knew friends from Nashville who came to Cookeville for care at the heart center. I would have expected it to go the other direction! Kind of amazed at all the restaurants and amenities for the community of it's size. Tennessee Tech has some good programs as well.

Old 08-03-2020, 06:56 AM

731 posts, read 822,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTurtle View Post
We did go by the Wildwood Marina, but it was pouring rain! Looks beautiful there, and the rain cooled everything down a bit. We saw Cane Creek Park and had lunch under the trees. We enjoyed driving around seeing neighborhoods and talking with locals at times. We met a young couple who had moved from Ca, found professional jobs and now enjoy their acreage with horses, and family will soon move to e with them. They love the people, and I asked about crime as one was in a position to know. Good report in that department as well. We saw some nice neighborhoods and the high school was beautiful and clean compared to what I'm used to seeing! Seems to be evidence of pride of ownership everywhere we looked. The hospital looked large for a community it's size, and one shop owner said she knew friends from Nashville who came to Cookeville for care at the heart center. I would have expected it to go the other direction! Kind of amazed at all the restaurants and amenities for the community of it's size. Tennessee Tech has some good programs as well.
I'm glad you had such a good visit! Thank you for the update. Another family from California showed up at my church yesterday, this one with 7 kids. They're thrilled to be in Cookeville and out of California. They cashed out of their overpriced hovel in Cali and bought a large home with acreage just SW of town. Their next step after getting situated in their new home is to buy a boat and some jet skis, a lifestyle they could never have enjoyed in California. Anyway, I hope you and your family can make the move, too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
View detailed profiles of: