Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2021, 10:25 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,943,010 times

Advertisements

I took my elderly mother, who moved to Cookeville 2 years ago, to get the covid vaccine the other day, and the process is very smooth. Each county is responsible for distributing vaccines to its own county residents. In Putnam County, you first need to register at a website the county created:

https://putnamcountytn.gov/vaccine

There are forms to download and sign from the website. However, they also have those forms on site, so don't panic if you don't have access to a printer.

You need to have a cell number and an email address, as you will be notified by text, phone call, and email when it's your turn to get the vaccine. Right now, Putnam County is administering the vaccine to first responders, health care workers, those over 75, and K-12 teachers. As of this morning they've administered around 6,000 vaccines. If an elderly person does not have a cell phone (which is not uncommon) it's ok for someone else, such as a relative or a friend, to register for that person. I heard on the news this morning that Putnam County is one of the top 5 counties in the state for the administration of these vaccines.

The vaccinations are given in the parking lot of the Hyder-Burks Agricultural Pavilion out on the Gainesboro Grade. There are signs, traffic cones, and a platoon of nurses and law enforcement officials on site to direct traffic. You never have to get out of your car. You'll be greeted by someone with an iPad that will verify your information and that you are a resident of Putnam County. Then just stay in your car as you weave around the parking lot until arriving in the large drive-thru tent where the nurses administer the vaccine. Just roll your windows down, and they'll give you the vaccine right there while you're still in your heated car.

You do need to wear a mask, including covering your nose.

It was a very, very pleasant experience. Everyone was cheerful, friendly, and very helpful. My mother, who was scared to death to get the vaccine, actually cried when it was over because everyone was just so dang friendly. The nurse who gave her the vaccine reached in the car and gave her a big hug. The line moved quickly. After receiving the vaccine, you're instructed to park in an area where more nurses monitor you for 15 minutes to make sure there are no side effects. An ambulance is on site in case someone has severe side effects.

And while there's no guarantee that this will happen again, because we were there at the end of the day (they stop at 6pm), they actually had an extra few doses and offered to go ahead and give me the vaccine even though I hadn't registered; they gave me the paperwork to fill out on the spot. Unfortunately, I just had my flu shot a few days ago, so I have to wait another couple of weeks, otherwise I would've had it that night, too.

In all, from the time we got there until we left, it took less than 30 minutes.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Last edited by JMT; 01-16-2021 at 05:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2021, 05:45 PM

111 posts, read 136,601 times
Thank you for telling us about your experience and giving us an idea of what to expect! Im really glad that Putnam county seems to be distributing and handling this well. I look forward to my turn and getting back to attending in person events in 2021!

Old 02-03-2021, 08:42 AM
JRR

8,160 posts, read 5,653,202 times
I added my wife and I to the waiting list yesterday. It looks like we may be getting our shots pretty quickly.

Old 02-03-2021, 08:58 AM

5,970 posts, read 3,711,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcat123 View Post
Thank you for telling us about your experience and giving us an idea of what to expect! Im really glad that Putnam county seems to be distributing and handling this well. I look forward to my turn and getting back to attending in person events in 2021!
I'm not so sure that the "medical experts" have said that life can continue as it was pre-pandemic if a person has gotten their shots. I seem to recall that they are continuing to advocate for a continuation of the mask wearing, social distancing, hand washing, and avoiding crowds even after getting the shots.

Old 02-06-2021, 10:21 AM

666 posts, read 762,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
I'm not so sure that the "medical experts" have said that life can continue as it was pre-pandemic if a person has gotten their shots. I seem to recall that they are continuing to advocate for a continuation of the mask wearing, social distancing, hand washing, and avoiding crowds even after getting the shots.

New Variants of the Virus that Causes COVID-19

This is the new normal they warned us about. If its not a new variant it will be a new virus.

When they tell you not to yell while watching the Superbowl at home you know something is very wrong.

Old 02-18-2021, 12:00 PM
JRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
I added my wife and I to the waiting list yesterday. It looks like we may be getting our shots pretty quickly.
So much for the idea of us getting the vaccine pretty quickly. On the waiting list since 2/02 with no scheduling notification. Called the hotline to see what is happening and getting a message that the mailbox is full. Looks like this is not going smoothly.

Old 02-18-2021, 12:04 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,663,104 times
Quote:
So much for the idea of us getting the vaccine pretty quickly. On the waiting list since 2/02 with no scheduling notification. Called the hotline to see what is happening and getting a message that the mailbox is full. Looks like this is not going smoothly.

Might be weather related?

Old 02-18-2021, 12:48 PM
JRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomputer View Post
Might be weather related?
I can understand why the hotline isn't manned today. My frustration is being on the waiting list for two weeks with no vaccination. I have friends/relatives in other states that have had no problem with getting their first or even second vaccination. Yet here we are, over 70 years old and can't get our first one.

Old 02-18-2021, 01:59 PM

1,115 posts, read 1,606,583 times
Quote:
I can understand why the hotline isn't manned today. My frustration is being on the waiting list for two weeks with no vaccination. I have friends/relatives in other states that have had no problem with getting their first or even second vaccination. Yet here we are, over 70 years old and can't get our first one.
You are not required to be vaccinated in your county of residency; you can schedule an appointment in any other Tennessee county that is currently administering the phase you are included within. I have two family members that were recently vaccinated in the 70 and over phase: one in Putnam and one elsewhere without any long wait times. I'm not sure why your scheduled appointment is held up; may just be a combination of weather and luck of the draw. I would continue to call the hotline or try the state as well.

Old 02-19-2021, 12:13 PM
JRR

I called the hotline this morning and they said they would check it out. Later today I got an email that we could set up an appointment time so we are set for 3/1. Looks like we just were stuck in waiting list mode for some reason
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville