Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2021, 07:35 PM

16 posts, read 13,853 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I've been reviewing several threads regarding Cookeville, TN on this forum, and I think it's a wonderful place to relocate. Recently found a For Sale By Owner home in Baxter, TN that's only about a 5 minute drive from another home my husband and I were considering in Cookeville and only 13 minutes from the hub of things in Cookeville. Not bad at all. My question is this: With Baxter being so much smaller in terms of population, how does it compare in terms of atmosphere compared to Cookeville? I know they're both in Putnam County. What else should I be aware of when comparing the two?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2021, 04:40 AM

666 posts, read 761,870 times
I would think most people in Baxter and other surrounding cities think of Cookeville as the go-to local place for shopping, restaurants, entertainment and other needs but they might prefer living outside Cookeville city limits for more of a rural living setting.

Old 10-01-2021, 07:40 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
^^I agree with Jumeby.

There's a lot of pride in Baxter, particularly among the old timers. There used to be a military academy in Baxter with a missile in its front lawn, and old timers will say with pride that the missile was aimed at Cookeville. As Cookeville has swelled and become the regional hub for pretty much everything, that rivalry really isn't there anymore except in high school athletics. The mayors of Baxter and Cookeville are old friends, for example, and the city of Cookeville just donated a caboose that Baxter will place at its depot.

Baxter is tiny (1,500 vs. Cookeville's 35,000) but its city limits are only a couple of miles from Cookeville. And Baxter is starting to really take off with something like 500 new homes under construction or about to get started, and rumor is that Food City is going to open a store in Baxter in a new development at the corner of Highways 56 and 70. The largest industrial project in the county's history is currently under construction in Baxter (a ceramic tile factory) but it's located a few hundred feet from Cookeville.

I live near Baxter and know a ton of people in Baxter. They live there because it is so much quieter than Cookeville. They enjoy some of the benefits of living in a city (more police and fire protection) but with benefits of a rural lifestyle (very little traffic, close-knit community, more space). Not that Cookeville is noisy or crowded, not by a long shot. But people who want a more "Mayberry" type of community will probably choose to live in Baxter.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 10-01-2021, 03:15 PM

Thank you both so much, Jumeby and JMT! I've read many of your comments in other threads, and they're always so insightful. I'm hoping to contact the seller and see if the home is still available for sale. It would take a miracle (in terms of timing) for everything to work out, but thankfully my God is in the miracle working business :^D.

I just feel so drawn to the Cookeville area, and as you said, JMT, it's practically right next door. Plus, the Andy Griffith Show is one of my faves; we have all seasons of the show on DVD. We live in a big city, but our neighborhood feels like its own little community where we know our neighbors by name and have been in some of their homes vs. just the silent nod as we walk by. One neighbor even let us stay in her little casita (mother-in-law suite) for 3 months rent free while our home was being renovated four years ago. That's the type of community/neighborhood we're looking for in Tn.

Thank you both again for your time and comments! I'll keep you posted on this thread :^D.

Old 10-01-2021, 03:33 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
I hope that FSBO is still available for you. I have dear friends who moved to Baxter a couple of years ago after initially retiring in East Tennessee just south of Knoxville. They just never felt "at home" in E TN (always treated like outsiders) and ended up moving to Baxter. They absolutely love it. They bought a home right in town and walk to the little grocery store downtown and a little pizzeria a few doors down. They know all the workers by name and are treated like family. They grew up in a small town in Minnesota and said Baxter is the closest thing to the tight-knit community they grew up in, but without all the snow and freezing temperatures. As Nashville continues to price itself out of reach, and as Cookeville's growth marches westward, Baxter might someday lose some of its Mayberry-like charm. But hopefully that'll be many many years from now.

Good luck with your move!

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 10-01-2021, 06:55 PM

2,898 posts, read 1,864,185 times
Thanks this is a great thread. I've been keeping tabs on Cookeville I will also try to learn more about Baxter it sounds appealing

Old 10-02-2021, 04:39 AM

666 posts, read 761,870 times
Many of us live outside a city limits but we still have a city address. This can provide an even more rural setting. I call it living in the county countryside.

Old 10-04-2021, 02:57 PM

Hello,

Sorry it's taken so long to get back! I was able to speak with one of the owners of the FSBO on Saturday morning, and we had a lovely talk. A couple from Kentucky was coming back for a second look, and the owner said she should know something after their visit and wouldn't leave us hanging. Unfortunately, to date I have not heard back from her. When I checked this afternoon, the home's status had not changed. So, while I believe this would be a great home for us, I am continuing my search ... just in case.

I'd still love to stay close to Cookeville, but perhaps there are surrounding cities/towns/suburbs within a 15 - 30 minute drive that may have a comparable feel to Baxter? Sparta has popped up on my radar, but may be a little further south than I'd like to be; we have some friends in Gallatin, and it would be great to stay within a 1 - 2 hours drive of them. On the other hand, we would be more likely to be able to purchase a home outright in Sparta. The home prices are phenomenal!

Anyone have any insights/knowledge of places near Cookeville that might fit the bill?

Thanks, everyone!

Old 10-04-2021, 03:44 PM
JRR

8,159 posts, read 5,651,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewLyf View Post
Hello,

Sorry it's taken so long to get back! I was able to speak with one of the owners of the FSBO on Saturday morning, and we had a lovely talk. A couple from Kentucky was coming back for a second look, and the owner said she should know something after their visit and wouldn't leave us hanging. Unfortunately, to date I have not heard back from her. When I checked this afternoon, the home's status had not changed. So, while I believe this would be a great home for us, I am continuing my search ... just in case.

I'd still love to stay close to Cookeville, but perhaps there are surrounding cities/towns/suburbs within a 15 - 30 minute drive that may have a comparable feel to Baxter? Sparta has popped up on my radar, but may be a little further south than I'd like to be; we have some friends in Gallatin, and it would be great to stay within a 1 - 2 hours drive of them. On the other hand, we would be more likely to be able to purchase a home outright in Sparta. The home prices are phenomenal!

Anyone have any insights/knowledge of places near Cookeville that might fit the bill?

Thanks, everyone!
I've always liked the Livingston area. About 20 miles north of Cookeville and easy access to Cookeville via 111

Old 10-04-2021, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
I've always liked the Livingston area. About 20 miles north of Cookeville and easy access to Cookeville via 111
Thanks, JRR! I'll check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville