Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2024, 03:10 PM

11 posts, read 7,136 times

Advertisements

Hi all. Just curious to see if anyone regularly commutes from the Putnam or Overton county areas to Nashville for work on a daily basis or even a few days a week. I have made the drive to Nashville several times early in the morning (getting to Nashville by 6 AM) which isn't too bad all things considered. I imagine the evening rush hour coming out of Nashville would be the challenge. Thoughts?

Full disclosure, I make a similar commute in the NY area 3 days a week although I do have a train option that I wouldn't have in TN. Early morning is a breeze, but coming home is a bit of a pain but manageable.

Curious to hear experiences, tips, or other advice from those who make the trip regularly.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2024, 05:08 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Yes, I commute to East Nashville (near the airport) every day for work. I live in western Putnam County. I have to be at work by 8am, and most mornings I can get there easily within 45 minutes, sometimes as few as 40 minutes. The return in the afternoon is usually a bit slower but not much, maybe 5 or 10 minutes. It was a bit slower today in the rain, of course.

According to the Tennessee Department of Labor, as of 2020 there were 4,805 people from Putnam County who commuted to Davidson County (Nashville) and 2,585 who made the commute from Overton County. I'm guessing that a big chunk of those, especially in Overton County, don't do it every day.

I think one of the reasons Baxter is seeing so many new homes (the Baxter mayor said there are over 1,500 new homes on the drawing board--not bad for a town of 1,800) is because so many people who work in Nashville are "escaping" (realtors' words) to western Putnam County and our manageable commute to Nashville.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 01-24-2024, 08:18 PM

303 posts, read 294,500 times
I've commuted to all areas of Nashville metro from Algood for most of the last 15 years. I used to get to my office downtown before 6 and traffic was very light. Get there much after 7 and it starts getting bad and stays that way a decent chunk of the morning. You can still hit backups trying to get downtown after 9. Also, if you leave downtown much after 3, you'll be sitting in traffic. With parking the way it is now, I'm glad I don't have to leave home much anymore.

Old 01-25-2024, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Yes, I commute to East Nashville (near the airport) every day for work. I live in western Putnam County. I have to be at work by 8am, and most mornings I can get there easily within 45 minutes, sometimes as few as 40 minutes. The return in the afternoon is usually a bit slower but not much, maybe 5 or 10 minutes. It was a bit slower today in the rain, of course.

According to the Tennessee Department of Labor, as of 2020 there were 4,805 people from Putnam County who commuted to Davidson County (Nashville) and 2,585 who made the commute from Overton County. I'm guessing that a big chunk of those, especially in Overton County, don't do it every day.

I think one of the reasons Baxter is seeing so many new homes (the Baxter mayor said there are over 1,500 new homes on the drawing board--not bad for a town of 1,800) is because so many people who work in Nashville are "escaping" (realtors' words) to western Putnam County and our manageable commute to Nashville.

JMT:

Thank you very much for your reply. I have been following your posts on this forum for several years now. You seem to have your finger on the pulse of everything going in the Cookeville and surrounding area. Very informative. Thanks a lot.

Old 01-25-2024, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justindb29 View Post
I've commuted to all areas of Nashville metro from Algood for most of the last 15 years. I used to get to my office downtown before 6 and traffic was very light. Get there much after 7 and it starts getting bad and stays that way a decent chunk of the morning. You can still hit backups trying to get downtown after 9. Also, if you leave downtown much after 3, you'll be sitting in traffic. With parking the way it is now, I'm glad I don't have to leave home much anymore.

Thanks for taking the time to reply and sharing that information. Greatly appreciated.

Old 01-25-2024, 10:11 AM

1,115 posts, read 1,606,232 times
Justindb29 is spot on, even a quarter after three in the afternoons, and it's gridlock from downtown. Anytime after seven in the morning into town isn't great either.

Old 01-25-2024, 10:42 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tragenvol View Post
Justindb29 is spot on, even a quarter after three in the afternoons, and it's gridlock from downtown. Anytime after seven in the morning into town isn't great either.
Even to East Nashville leaving 10 minutes later could result in an additional 20 minutes to my commute. There's no way I would commute to downtown Nashville; just beyond my exit is where the I-40 traffic usually starts to back up. I have a colleague who lives in West Nashville, and even though he's only 15 miles from work vs. my 45 miles, it usually takes him longer just because of the crazy traffic through downtown. For most of my commute I can speed into town doing 80mph almost the entire way. While TDOT has done a decent job widening the interstates out in the suburbs, the interstates downtown haven't been touched in decades. Even on weekends they're parking lots.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 01-25-2024, 11:08 AM

Right...if you're heading downtown on 40 East, traffic begins piling up around Hermitage at exit 221 between 7:00 and 9:00 am. Thankfully, I no longer regularly make that trek downtown, and when I do it's prior to BNA and Donelson Pike at exit 216.

Old 01-25-2024, 02:48 PM

^40 West rather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
View detailed profiles of: