Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2024, 10:30 AM

30 posts, read 35,887 times

Advertisements

Hi all. This will be our 2nd trip to Cookeville, and likely our final trip before deciding if White Co. is where we want to relocate. This time, we are taking our kids and staying in Sparta. I feel like I need to carefully plan this trip, not only for fun for everyone, but also for us to get a feel for the area if we were to move there. I have planned Fall Creek Falls, Burgess Falls, and a couple Sparta restaurants. What else should I make sure to do on this trip? Any input is appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2024, 10:47 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn_lf View Post
Hi all. This will be our 2nd trip to Cookeville, and likely our final trip before deciding if White Co. is where we want to relocate. This time, we are taking our kids and staying in Sparta. I feel like I need to carefully plan this trip, not only for fun for everyone, but also for us to get a feel for the area if we were to move there. I have planned Fall Creek Falls, Burgess Falls, and a couple Sparta restaurants. What else should I make sure to do on this trip? Any input is appreciated
Congratulations! Sparta is such a cute little town. I don't know how adventurous you are, but the hike to Virgin Falls is gorgeous--but plenty strenuous. If the weather is nice, maybe head over to Center Hill Lake and rent a boat? But really, Burgess Falls and Fall Creek Falls are perfect. Maybe also head over to Rock Island which also has some beautiful waterfalls.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 01-25-2024, 12:17 PM

Thanks JMT. How about Cookeville? Anything to make sure to do there?

Old 01-25-2024, 04:37 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
I guess it depends on how old your kids are and what they like. I think a trip downtown to the historic depot would be enjoyable. Nice model train, big old steam engine and some old train cars and a caboose, fun exhibits. Go to Cream City which is directly across the street from the depot for some delicious ice cream.

https://cookevilledepot.com/
https://www.creamcitycookeville.com/

Also, the Cookeville History Museum is going to have an exhibit of microcars on loan from the Lane Motor Museum in Nashville (whose education director lives in Cookeville). These are tiny European cars from just after WW2. The exhibit goes from Jan 31 - April 27.

https://cookevillehistorymuseum.com/

Another waterfall worth visiting is Cummins Falls which is just north of Cookeville although the overlook is currently closed for reconstruction. You can still hike down to the bottom of the falls, but in cooler weather that might not be very fun.

https://tnstateparks.com/parks/cummins-falls

You can always check out the athletics schedule at Tennessee Tech to see if there's a game in town.

https://www.ttusports.com/landing/index

A good place to eat with kids (if they like arcade games) is The Slice which has absolutely delicious pizza as well as 20+ arcade games.

https://www.cookevilleslice.com/

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 01-25-2024, 06:48 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Have you already visited the more mundane, everyday things like the city parks, local grocery stores, library, maybe the school board?

Old 01-26-2024, 08:24 AM

730 posts, read 813,444 times
Quote:
Head to the Cookeville Visitors Shop which is located downtown across from the Depot museum and next door to Cream City. 113 West Broad Street. They can give you some more ideas on things to do and see. Keep in mind they're closed Sundays and Mondays.

Old 01-26-2024, 01:38 PM

Thanks! I did have Dogwood Park on the list and I'm sure we'll be doing some grocery shopping in Sparta also.

Old 01-26-2024, 05:20 PM
JRR

8,159 posts, read 5,651,590 times
Quote:
Thanks! I did have Dogwood Park on the list and I'm sure we'll be doing some grocery shopping in Sparta also.
When we were visiting Cookeville to see if we would want to move here, we spent quite a bit of time wandering around stores striking up a conversation with people. Anything from the weather to "Isn't that great looking ground beef/lettuce/whatever" could open the door. And people around here do seem to love to talk about what they do or don't like about the area.

Old 01-26-2024, 06:52 PM

3,036 posts, read 3,304,919 times
Quote:
Forget where you are coming from. A visit to Bucees in Sevierville and Crossville could be on your list. This time of year not sure how much of Gatlinburg would be open.

As for living in Cookeville take your time on I-40. Hills just steep enough to take care & heed speed restrictions. This time of year be aware of possible icy to wet conditions.

Old 01-29-2024, 06:47 PM

137 posts, read 120,345 times
Quote:
If you are here on a weekend and are looking for a small local market there is the green market in Cookeville each Saturday from 0900 until about noon, I believe. There is really no grocery store in Sparta other than a small local shop called Floyd’s Save a lot and the local Walmart super store. Most of us go to Cookeville as there is a Publix, Kroger, Food Lion and Food City. There is also a farmers market and several specialty shops there too.

As far as Sparta, there is a great local store called Synergy Herbal Works in Liberty Square https://www.synergyherbalworks.com/ next to a delicious coffee shop (The Coffee Collective) and the best pizza around (Marioochi’s Pizzeria). If you are wanting some of the best ever pastries and baked bread then check out the Bakery at 1871 on Main Street but go early and check the website since they are only open on certain days and times. https://thebakeryat1871.com/

During the spring and summer and early fall, Sparta has a local vendor farmers type market the third Friday of the month. Many of us that are a bit more crunchy get our goods from Ckvl, local co-ops or CSA’s or Azure Standard has a drop. Hope this helps. We love living in Sparta as we have the beauty of the county with the proximity of a micropolitan (Cookeville) within 20 minutes. Happy hunting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville