Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 07:10 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne1945 View Post
We'd like to know Cookeville information regarding medical facilities, shopping (grocery, pharmacy, malls, restaurants, etc) and possible volunteer opps, too. Thanks for your suggestions.
The hospital in Cookeville is the largest between Nashville and Knoxville, 247 beds with 140 doctors in 36 areas of specialty. It's currently undergoing an $80 million expansion that will double its size.

There are two small malls in Cookeville, one with a JCPenney and Peebles as the anchors, the other has Belk, Sears, TJMaxx, Old Navy, and Petco as anchors.

There are two Wal-Mart Supercenters in Cookeville, Sam's Club, KMart, Fred's, Staples, and Office Max.

The big pharmacies are represented: CVS, Walgreen's, Eckerd's.

Grocery stores: Kroger, Bi-Lo, Food Lion, aforementioned Wal-Mart Supercenters, IGA, Save-a-lot, and a few local places. Aldi just announced it's building a new grocery store in Cookeville.

Restaurants: all the fast food places a body could possibly want (and more) such as 8 Subways, 5 McDonalds, 4 Burger Kings, 3 Sonics, 3 Dairy Queens, etc. Plus the fast-casual chains such as Applebee's, Cheddar's, Chili's, Logan's Roadhouse, O'Charley's, Outback, Puleo's, Red Lobster, Ruby Tuesday, Toot's. A recent article in the Cumberland Business Journal said that Buffalo Wild Wings, Olive Garden, Panera, and TGI Friday's are also coming to Cookeville.

There are some outstanding locally-owned restaurants in historic downtown Cookeville: Taiko, a sushi and noodle bar; Crawdaddy's, a Cajun restaurant; Royal House, a Thai restaurant with live music; World Market, a small grocery store with homemade baklava and gyros; Thomas Andrew's, a more upscale place; Paula's, gourmet Southern food with live music; Mama Rosa's, an Italian place run by a family from Brooklyn; Mauricio's, a more upscale Italian place inside an old Victorian mansion.

Just west of town is an outstanding, and I mean OUTSTANDING, restaurant called Beethoven's Bistro. It's run by an Austrian man and his Long Island wife who had been chefs in Monaco before retiring to Long Island and then to Cookeville. They opened up their tiny restaurant and never advertise. But the place is packed every night. They make everything from scratch, even their homemade, buttery, flakey pastries. I know people who drive 100 miles from Knoxville just to eat there.

For volunteering opportunities, there are many, many avenues to explore. The hospital, various hospices and nursing homes, there are four libraries that need volunteers, and actually a huge article in this past Sunday's local paper, the Herald-Citizen, highlighted the need for volunteers in the community to befriend the hundreds of international students at the local university, Tennessee Tech. There's a rescue mission in Cookeville that needs volunteers, there's Goodwill, the YMCA, and any number of church organizations that do community work, plus Big Brothers/Big Sisters.

That was a rather long answer to your short request. I hope you were able to muddle through it.

Good luck with your move to Cookeville! It's a wonderful community.

Last edited by JMT; 01-18-2007 at 07:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2007, 01:09 PM

2 posts, read 5,515 times
I am retiring from the Memphis Fire dept in about 7 years and moving east, and I am looking for some land that is still fairly cheap. But like suzanne1945 I am interesting in medical facilities and info on them (are they latex-free, how many beds etc.). I am thinking about the Cookeville area. If someone could get me some sites or info on land for sale I would appreciate it. Thank you

Last edited by JMT; 02-22-2012 at 03:51 PM..

Old 01-23-2007, 05:00 PM

2,700 posts, read 3,681,348 times
Thank, JMT. Lengthy answers are good! That information and good information is making the decision even more difficult. Do I dare ask for similar information in the Maryville area. We prefer the county vs. city for residence. We know the Harley store in Maryville but not much else. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville