U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 08:21 AM

31 posts, read 97,745 times

Advertisements

We are considering relocating to the Cookeville area.
What areas are nice within a short drive to and from
Cookeville? We would like to be in a quiet, beautiful
location but still not have a "big" commute.
Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2007, 08:49 AM

13,096 posts, read 37,351,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hschoolingfam View Post
We are considering relocating to the Cookeville area.
What areas are nice within a short drive to and from
Cookeville? We would like to be in a quiet, beautiful
location but still not have a "big" commute.
Thanks!
I think you're in luck! You've chosen a nice area, and there's not a shortage of beautiful land around Cookeville.

Your name (hschoolingfam) indicates that maybe you home school your kids? If that's the case, then do I assume you don't need to be around the better schools? If that's so, then I'd suggest the Rickman area. It's in southern Overton County just a couple of miles from Cookeville. There are a lot of housing developments going up in Rickman, and it's safe to say that most of the people there commute to Cookeville to work.

In Putnam County itself, there is some beautiful land up on Buck Mountain/Brotherton Mountain. It's the same mountain, but for some reason it has two names.

West of Cookeville is an area called Double Springs, it's worth a look.

In general, land is a bit more expensive in Putnam County than surrounding counties, I guess because Putnam County schools have a much better reputation. But if schools aren't a big concern, then Rickman might be a good option. Go take a look, it really is a beautiful area. And Rickman is connected to Cookeville via a four-lane highway.

Old 01-13-2007, 11:28 AM

176 posts, read 770,013 times
Default I live near Cookeville

and there are many acreage tracts available as well as smaller pieces and individual lots in subdivisions. The land is essentially rolling hills. You can get information online as well as from the many real estate agencies here. Every month they publish advertising magazines in which they describe homes and land for sale. You can contact them and they'll mail the latest magazines to you.

Old 01-16-2007, 12:44 AM

421 posts, read 1,615,349 times
Contact Candie Power @ Crye-Leike realtors.

firepower

Old 01-17-2007, 08:54 AM

1 posts, read 3,584 times
Default cookeville

I travel through that area and involved with several developers and realtors. I am with a log home company that does alot of business in E. Tenn if you can give me some details I know i could help.

Old 01-17-2007, 01:16 PM

141 posts, read 953,821 times
Sparta-White County is a beautiful area. Sparta is really trying hard to bring back the small-town atmosphere, with nighttime free concerts in the summer, the old theater being renovated as a visitors center, and a newfound emphasis on quality of life. Also the people there are very friendly, and land is pretty and cheap.

Its major downside is school quality, but then if you are homeschooling it is a non-issue.

You are also still close enough to Crossville to avail yourself of all of the opportunities that it and its university can provide; less than 30 minutes from pretty far out, if memory serves.

Old 01-17-2007, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo Bloom View Post
Sparta-White County is a beautiful area. Sparta is really trying hard to bring back the small-town atmosphere, with nighttime free concerts in the summer, the old theater being renovated as a visitors center, and a newfound emphasis on quality of life. Also the people there are very friendly, and land is pretty and cheap.

Its major downside is school quality, but then if you are homeschooling it is a non-issue.

You are also still close enough to Crossville to avail yourself of all of the opportunities that it and its university can provide; less than 30 minutes from pretty far out, if memory serves.
There's no university in Crossville. I think you meant to say Cookeville.

But you're right, Sparta/White County has some incredibly beautiful countryside. When I was a boy I used to enjoy hiking and camping at Virgin Falls just east of Sparta.

If you look at the restaurant and movie theater parking lots in Cookeville, you'll see a bunch of White County cars. So you're right, Sparta is close enough to Cookeville to take advantage of what it has to offer.

Old 01-18-2007, 08:28 AM

141 posts, read 953,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
There's no university in Crossville. I think you meant to say Cookeville.
D'oh! Sorry. Brain fart.

Old 01-18-2007, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo Bloom View Post
D'oh! Sorry. Brain fart.
It happens to the best of us!

I do have a Sparta question, though. Back when my brother lived in Sparta--just off the square downtown--I used to spend a lot of time there. I noticed there's a street in Sparta called College Street. Does that mean there used to be a college in Sparta? If so, what happened to it? If not, why is there a street called College Street?

Old 01-18-2007, 05:24 PM

2,700 posts, read 3,552,350 times
We'd like to know Cookeville information regarding medical facilities, shopping (grocery, pharmacy, malls, restaurants, etc) and possible volunteer opps, too. Thanks for your suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville