U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2007, 12:18 PM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
795 posts, read 2,662,279 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking at the Clarkrange/Crossville TN area. We're coming from north of Pittsburgh PA. Hubby works as a Heavy Equipment Operator, and I work in the medical insurance/billing/coding field. So, from the way it sounds, that's a booming area. We're both love the country life, I come from WV hillbilly stock, and the further out in the country IMHO, the better. Problem is, hubby gets laid off mid-November because of the bad weather.
Are the construction jobs year round in that area? I know TN is a Right to Work state (WONDERFUL!), and am wondering how the pay rates are for heavy equipment operators? Year round work?
How about Medical Insurance Billers and Coders?

God bless y'all! Shenandoah
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2007, 12:39 PM

2,109 posts, read 5,429,326 times
A really good source for finding general information about salaries is the Bureau of Labor Statistics, or http://www.bls.gov . It breaks salary down from state, city, type of job, and pay. Pretty useful, not to mention free!

Old 03-24-2007, 12:47 PM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
A really good source for finding general information about salaries is the Bureau of Labor Statistics, or http://www.bls.gov . It breaks salary down from state, city, type of job, and pay. Pretty useful, not to mention free!

Thanks, Silverbox! I checked out the website, and see hourly wages of $19+ / per hour, but when I checked the local Knoxville job listings, all I could see was $12 - $13 per hour. Whazzup?

I'm hoping that someone with contractor knowledge will answer. Because if he can only make $12 - $13 an hour, it won't be worth moving. $19+ is what we're hoping for, as he averages now $19 - $25 per hour. Anyone with personal experience or knowledge - please help!

God bless, Shen

Old 03-24-2007, 12:59 PM

22,583 posts, read 50,573,521 times
That website that sliverbox gave out is the best one regarding wages, but it is what it is. It's not going to tell you what the actual wages are right now for a new hire. You have to factor in that they are taking into account people that have worked in that field in this area for years. If the ads say $12 to $13 an hours, then that is what they are paying.

Make no mistake about it, a lot of people that move here take a huge cut in pay. On this forum, there is a lot of enchantment with the area, from me included, but the elephant in the living room is the wages and availability of jobs.

Old 03-25-2007, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Make no mistake about it, a lot of people that move here take a huge cut in pay. On this forum, there is a lot of enchantment with the area, from me included, but the elephant in the living room is the wages and availability of jobs.
Discouraging news, but thank you for the info. $12-$13 per hour for someone who grew up in the business, ran the business after his dad died, has experience, expertise, knowledge of multiple areas of the construction business, including running multiple types of machines is really sad. Well, if God wants us to stay here in Pa, then we will.

Thank you for the info - it was nice to dream for awhile.

God bless, Shen

Old 03-25-2007, 01:01 PM

6,289 posts, read 21,880,094 times
I work in the engineering field (structural). I don't have any specific information on the wages for operators in the Crossville area, but $25K a year doesn't sound right to me. I would have guessed about twice that. The ads you saw might have just been companies trying to find someone who would work cheaply.

I'll check with the field department guys at the office next week and see if they have an specifics. They're always "on site" and would know more about wages than I would.

Old 03-25-2007, 02:21 PM

Many thanks, Alleycat!

Old 03-25-2007, 11:32 PM

22,583 posts, read 50,573,521 times
I don't want to discourage you. It's just that we had a difficult time finding suitable work at first. And we were coming from Florida. I've seen some northerners take HUGE pay cuts. Bear in mind, though, that I am only familiar with the Knoxville area, and not where you are looking.

Don't just take my word for it. Keep looking. I just want you to be aware of the labor problems we found.

Old 03-30-2007, 12:22 PM

Hopefully the pay cut won't be THAT bad - the wages I saw posted looked more entry level than for experienced. You would think that with all of the building up throughout the state, that they'd want to draw experienced people there to work. We'll find out, I guess, when we come down in November.

blessings, Shen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville