Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 11:11 AM

36,503 posts, read 30,820,705 times

Advertisements

I thought they might be talking about these highland mountain cave people.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 12:38 AM

4,882 posts, read 5,011,020 times
You know, they could be from Fentress County.

Old 07-14-2009, 06:42 AM

LOL. I think I once dated the one on the end.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:28 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,437,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
You lost me somewhere, what are "highlanders" what mountain people are you speaking of? Sounds like some kind of T.V. afternoon special. Is there some mystic lost tribe of mountain cave people living unbeknownst to us. Gosh, Ive been stomping around these hills for over 30 yrs. and havent heard tell of them.
Not meant to offend anyone, God knows. It's a term use to describe the people that live high into the mountains. Or, lowlanders, another term that's used to describe people that do not live high in the mountains. Vice-versa.

So what do you like about the hills and what do you not like about it?

Old 07-15-2009, 07:34 AM

Quote:
So what do you like about the hills and what do you not like about it?
If you consider Monterey area the hills, let see. Dont like driving on the slick roads in the winter. Terrain can get a little iffy when riding horses.

like. It tends to be a little cooler. Nice views.

Other than that I dont see any difference especially in the attitudes and behaviors of people. Granted those in larger towns, especially where there is a university and more diversity tend to be more progressive where those in smaller towns, regardless of elevation, tend to be more the religious, farming down to earth slower paced people.

Caves and mountains arent prerequisites for making meth. It is made in homes, motel rooms, barns, etc. From what I have read there have been more meth lab bust in hotel rooms in Cookeville than caves in Jamestown. It has been a problem in rural areas because it is a cheep drug. It is my understanding that law enforcement is doing a fairly good job cracking down on meth labs. Show me an area that does not have some sort of drug related problem.

Me thinks someone watches too much TV. You need to visit and get these images of highland mountain cave people out of your head. LOL.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:28 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,259,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I
Other than that I dont see any difference especially in the attitudes and behaviors of people. Granted those in larger towns, especially where there is a university and more diversity tend to be more progressive where those in smaller towns, regardless of elevation, tend to be more the religious, farming down to earth slower paced people.

I disagree with some of what you wrote.

True. Meth is made all over. I said they were made in the caves up there. I didn't say it was the only place that meth was made. In fact, she can live in a town and your neighbor can be making it. In fact, so can my neighbor in Knoxville. Although, most of them are in their 80s.

But SOME people that live away from the cities can be a bit unwelcoming or worse. I rented at the Knox County/Anderson County line for three years. I'll never do that again. I'm from a very, very small town but the culture in the country here is a bit different.

What I like to know from you is regarding your above statement. You say that people in smaller towns can be less progressive. You say they are more religious, down-to-earth, etc. First of all, I am in the city of Knoxville and my neighbors couldn't possibly be more religious or down-to-earth, so that was a blanket statement.

But what I REALLY want to know is do you think that people in those small towns would be more or less or the same regarding being prejudiced against someone that is black?

Now, she really is going to have to go up there to visit. She'll be able to tell if someone is prejudiced, although, I have to admit, some people around this area can be very convincing to your face until you leave. Some of them have it down to a fine art.

But what is very troubling is the real estate agent who mentions that there are not a lot of blacks in the area. And now the issue of her not being able to get assistance from real estate agents. It could just be a case of some agents not being good at returning calls. Unfortunately, that seems to be the case, lately, everywhere. But maybe not.

I apologize for putting in a rambling post. I hope I am making my position clear and that it really is understandable.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:55 AM

All I have to go on is my own experiences. It is just the way i perceive things and may seem different to someone else. So here goes.

Quote:
What I like to know from you is regarding your above statement. You say that people in smaller towns can be less progressive. You say they are more religious, down-to-earth, etc. First of all, I am in the city of Knoxville and my neighbors couldn't possibly be more religious or down-to-earth, so that was a blanket statement.

Yes it is generalizing. In comparing people I know from Cookeville or Nashville area most of whom attended some higher education and have done some traveling they tend to be less religious, dont go to church or dont believe in God, they are involved in more activities, theater, dance, clubs, art etc . they are more likely to date/marry interracially and are more concerned with appearances same holds true for friends relatives in Dayton, Ohio. Most I know from small towns have more limited activities most of which are church/community related. Many are farmers/hunters, not caught up in appearances. This is just in general based on my experiences which is neither here nor there.

Quote:
But what I REALLY want to know is do you think that people in those small towns would be more or less or the same regarding being prejudiced against someone that is black?

20 years ago I might have said more prejudiced. But not so anymore. I have seen an increase in diversity and attitudes over the yrs. I once worked for a social services agency and had to interact with many, what you would call mountain people, in Jamestown, Byrdstown, Crossville, Livingston, Clarkrange, Allons, and Sparta. Many seemed not so much prejudice as segregated if that makes sense. They would make distinctions and use the word Negro and to me seem to be living 100 yrs ago, but there was no hatred or feeling of superiority. Actually when I go back north to visit, I see more prejudice there than I do here. Granted there will always be some ignorant racists.

Quote:
But what is very troubling is the real estate agent who mentions that there are not a lot of blacks in the area. And now the issue of her not being able to get assistance from real estate agents. It could just be a case of some agents not being good at returning calls. Unfortunately, that seems to be the case, lately, everywhere. But maybe not.
Quote:
I think I would have mentioned it also. You never know if a person realizes the racial make up of a community or if they would be comfortable with it. I would want to be advised if a place I was considering was 98% white, black, blue, amish, wiccan, etc.
I dont know about the particular agent, but I know sometimes it takes an act of congress to get things done around here. That is a big complaint I here from many "transplants". I know it is frustrating. I had people say they felt discriminated when this "southern phenomenon" occurs because they are from the north or from cal. The truth is it happens to everyone. Things just move slow here.

Old 07-18-2009, 06:13 PM

I thank you guys for your input, as I am the one that is African American and wanted to KNOW. I do plan on visiting several areas first. I have found a really nice lady that is working with me on getting different properties line-up to "go see".

I live here in what we call the "salad bowl" of America, (a local term that is) because we have so many people from every walk of life here in FL. I have never had to defend the color of my skin ever before in my life and don't plan to anytime soon. What you see is what you get, like or leave it! My hearts set on and TN here I come!

PS: I would like to think that what I'm "transplanting" to any area is a heart of a woman that loves God and people in general.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:18 PM

Did'nt get to TN this summer (bummer), school starts here next Monday. I guess there's always Thanksgiving, or Christmas coming up. I long to see TN, heard it's soooo beautiful, the next best thing to Utopia. They say the mountains are so beautiful and the green is really "green", especially after a refreshing rain. Oh, how I long to wake up in the morning and see God's magnificence! Can't wait! (Smiling). And everybody.....thank you.

Betsey

Old 09-02-2009, 08:34 PM

1 posts, read 4,798 times
you sound like a wonderful person. My parents who attended Brownsville Assembly of God in Pensacola the Brownsville Revival may be moving to that area . They say there is a nondenominational spirit filled church there that is wonderful maybe you should visit this church and meet the people before moving.
My mom says they are wonderful people . It is in Jamestown TN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville