Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2011, 07:46 AM

7 posts, read 18,343 times

Advertisements

Love what the Glade has to offer retirees. So many things to do. What's with all the homes for sale? What could be the reason for this? Are there any problems which we should be aware of so we don't make a costly mistake moving there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2011, 08:37 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,486,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjef View Post
Love what the Glade has to offer retirees. So many things to do. What's with all the homes for sale? What could be the reason for this? Are there any problems which we should be aware of so we don't make a costly mistake moving there?
Please read through this thread. There are also some other FFG threads that have been locked by previous Moderators for various reasons. You can find those by doing an Advanced Search. Good luck and you are smart to do research no matter where you plan on going.

Old 04-17-2011, 10:48 AM

262 posts, read 522,986 times
It is not an age restricted community but almost everyone there (with the exception of the service job folks) is retired. I lived in FFG's sister community in Arkansas for 10 yrs.

Old 04-18-2011, 04:45 PM
jmk

15 posts, read 46,268 times
I know several people who have put their homes on the market because they are moving into the new Good Samaritan Assisted Living facility which is scheduled to open soon.
Its been my experience that many homes are on the market because the owners didn't buy a big enough home to accommodate the social life they didn't expect to find in FFG. They will only sell if they get their price (frequently higher then than they are worth) so they can buy a bigger one and therefor are not really for sale.
As in most retirement communities there is a normal attrition and in the present economy many potential buyers are waiting to retire or can't sell their homes and move. If homes in Michigan ever begin to sell our population will increase quickly.
It's a buyers market here like everywhere and if your an active social type you won' t regret settling in FFG.

Old 04-16-2012, 03:42 PM

8 posts, read 34,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGlenday View Post
We just got home to MD after spending a few days in FFG, and looking at Tellico Village on the way home. IF we decide on FFG instead of Tellico, we're quite keen on a lot on the 'Bent Oak' area (near Stonehenge golf course, but not on it), but the price is steeper than we're prepared to consider and we hope the owner will negotiate.

We've met a a builder in the area whose house plans, quality of work, and pricing are all excellent. I'll provide details here if you like, but it would probably be more 'politic' to provide details in DM.

We were very tempted to snatch up an extremely well-priced house:
- Backs onto a golf course
- 1,800+ sq ft
- Hard wood and upscale cabinetry
- Stainless steel appliances
- Silestone (sp?) countertops
- Large deck split into two - part covered and screened, part open
- Brand new, and all for $209,000

BUT we didn't put in the offer, because there are a few things we want, and this house dod not have: Walk Out Basement, woods or some sort of total privacy in the back yard, and we want to be on the north side. If we get the Bent Oak lot, we plan to build this exact house plan - with a walk-out. The builder gave us a copy of the plan, and my wife is already making subtle changes to the layout. I'll bet her changes are going to add to the cost
Not sure if you still check this... but I can't wait to visit next year. This post has been so helpful. My husband and I both plan to retire within the next couple of years. Not sure yet if we want to build or start looking for a house now and rent it. But we are definately visiting. Would love to meet some people. I hear TN folks are just wonderful. We live in Seattle WA, I love the weather, my husband doesn't. Neither one of us loves the cost of living.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:35 PM

19 posts, read 75,365 times
Still here, though not checking in too often. We've been locked in place since the housing slump, and will resume our search next year.

I'll be curious to hear your progress. Good luck!

Old 08-06-2012, 04:22 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,856,694 times
Default What is Happening in Fairfield Glade?

I was considering buying properties in Fairfield Glade until I came across this youtube video.

Fairfield Glade seemed like a nice place when I visited.

Fairfield Glade Scam Commentary - YouTube

Old 08-06-2012, 07:14 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,512,977 times
It's called Buyer Beware... Dot all your I's and cross all your T's...

If you do travel in the Glades.. Seat Belts... Car Seats for the child ...Stop !! at all Stop signs and watch your speed..especially if you have out of state plates or out of county tags.. They will stop you !

Old 08-06-2012, 08:25 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,270,401 times
This man bought his property 35 years ago and the local news clips that he also has recently posted on You Tube were originally broadcast 14 years ago. I'm not saying he shouldn't be upset but this seems like a very, very old ax to grind. The statute of limitations has long passed. And over the years there are plenty of people that bought land in Fairfield Glade, built homes and are quite happy. Bless his heart.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:22 AM

5,985 posts, read 4,377,584 times
My wife and I were invited to to visit FG back in the '70's when the development was relatively new. We were turned off by the "hard sell" we were given and declined to buy. But now I'm tempted to possibly acquire one of those cheap lots to use as a campsite. FG is in an area of great natural beauty.

Last edited by Ridgerunner; 08-07-2012 at 11:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville