Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2012, 02:49 PM
jmk

15 posts, read 46,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzfroggez View Post
thank you for the link! I hadn't read how long you have lived there but is there a cap/percentage limit on how much the assessment can go up per year?
Been here 12 years. No limit but, IMO are board has been overly resistant to raising assessments. Our annual dues are cheap when you consider what we have. I expect they are sensitive to the fact that we have a lot of long time residents that moved here because TN and FFG was a cheap place to live and many want to keep us small. I wish they could come up with way to exempt them so we could make needed improvement which would improve the value of our homes and quality of life (not that it needs much improvement but it's a matter of pay now or much more later). I don't want to live in a five star gated community but we should maintain our four star status.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 02:55 PM

1 posts, read 8,070 times
Default Crossville/ Fairfield Glade, TN

We are considering a relocation to Tenneesee, possibly the Crossville/Fairfield Glade area. We would appreciate some general information about the area. Are there any major general stores like Wal*Mart or Target nearby ?
Is there a nearby shopping mall or strip mall ?
Is there an Outback In resturant nearby ?
Is there a downtown shopping area of any significance ?
Are there community Parks nearby ?
We are in our first pass at trying to set-up a road trip to investigate a few areas.
Any assistence will be appreciated.
Thanks!

Old 12-16-2012, 04:56 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,512,977 times
FYI Information for you.. just ask them for specific information and they will gladly send it for free.Be advised you will also get gobs of real estate information.

Crossville Chamber

TN.gov

http://www.fairfieldglade.net/

http://www.tn.gov/environment/parks/CumberlandMtn/ <<<< 6-7 miles South of Crossville.

http://www.tngolftrail.net/beartrace/cumberlandmtn/

Outback Steak... Cookevillle 35 miles west off of I-40

Old 12-18-2012, 07:54 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,688,265 times
Call 4 Me 2,

No Targets. There is a small Kmart. The biggest retailer is Walmart but it is a small store that is the worst managed and stocked Walmart I have ever been to. Shopping is about as bad as it can get in Crossville and that goes for the eateries too. The best coffee in town is Hardees and the best donuts come from Wmart. No Atlanta Bread or Panera's here and not even a DD. The main grocery stores are Kroger, Food City, and Wmart. No butcher or fresh seafood. The closest shopping is in Cookeville and the better shopping is in Knoxville. If you live in Fairfield Glade that means a 50 mile or 70 mile drive one way.

On the bright side the climate is a moderate four season one without the extremes. There are a few nice parks in the area. The cost of living is about as good as it gets.

I suggest looking at two areas. Lake Tansi on the southside of Crossville and Fairfield Glade on the northeast side. FFG is a golfing community and does have a few decent restaurants. Affordable housing can be found in both locations with low taxes and reasonable HOA fees.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:17 PM

46 posts, read 133,244 times
I'm originally from NYC and I can tell you that FFG and Crossville has everything that you can possibly want.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:43 AM

8 posts, read 34,308 times
Did you guys make it to Crossville yet? We are looking to relocate from WA to TN when we retire next year. I keep getting mixed reviews. Some people seem to love it others hate it. Curious if you made it and what you think of it.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:13 PM

262 posts, read 522,986 times
We moved to Cookeville about 4 yrs ago from Spokane, Wa and we absolutely love it. We checked out Crossville but the only good thing we could find was that the property taxes are much lower there. But if you choose one of the retirement communities then you have a monthly property owners association dues which goes a long way to wiping out your tax savings.
Plus years ago I lived in one of the Fairfield communities and I just don't like the ambiance.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:27 PM

I'm glad to pay property owners dues because you can see where our money goes. We don't pay for sewage or garbage pickup and we have a great looking community.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:51 AM

78 posts, read 180,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grisabel View Post
I'm glad to pay property owners dues because you can see where our money goes. We don't pay for sewage or garbage pickup and we have a great looking community.
You DO pay for both.

http://www.fairfieldglade.cc/getmedi...sessments.aspx

Old 09-09-2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorninSky View Post
Did you guys make it to Crossville yet? We are looking to relocate from WA to TN when we retire next year. I keep getting mixed reviews. Some people seem to love it others hate it. Curious if you made it and what you think of it.
I've been here over 2 years now. It's been great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville