Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2013, 07:52 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,022,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Currently with taxes and HOA fees the annual cost on a $150k home would run about $2k a year. .
Current taxes on a house appraised at $150k in Cumberland County would be....$561.

Apprasial.............................. $150,000

Assessment @ 25%............... $37,500

Tax rate per $100 $1.4975...... $561

So your HOA fees are just over $100 a month....not bad if that's what you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2013, 06:43 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,654,778 times
Notice that 2Mares mentions several more stores. The only grocery stone in FFG is Food City and a satellite Kroger. All the other shopping mentioned is in Crossville proper and that is 15 miles away hence 30 round trip. Considering most cars will use a gallon and a half to and from Crossville from FFG the cost is about $5 per trip. $5 per shopping trip can add up in a hurry.

Crossville also has a Vanity Fair outlet but unlike the one in Reading PA this one is mostly empty stores.

There is one donut shop that features some of the worst donuts I have ever experienced and the coffee is just as bad.

As to shopping; I was referring to stores above the level of Walmart or Kmart. Kohls, Belks, JC Penny and eateries such as Panera's, Atlanta Bread, to mention a few. There's not even a Starbucks and you can find them anywhere.

Bones,

$100 monthy, = $1200 annually plus $561 comes to $1761. Isn't that about $2k a year? $1200 a year is a lot of money for HOA services. All residents pay for all services, such as swimming, gym, etc., but they do pay a reduced fee.
Lots of money going into the golf course by many residents don't golf. So for $1200 a year one gets the most expensive trash pick up in the US.
BTW, with a business the size and magnitude of a first rate golf course one would think there would be enough money generated whereby residents would pay no HOA fees.

Old 09-21-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Bones,

$100 month, = $1200 annually plus $561 comes to $1761. Isn't that about $2k a year? $1200 a year is a lot of money for HOA services. All residents pay for all services, such as swimming, gym, etc., but they do pay a reduced fee.
Lots of money going into the golf course by many residents don't golf. So for $1200 a year one gets the most expensive trash pick up in the US.
BTW, with a business the size and magnitude of a first rate golf course one would think there would be enough money generated whereby residents would pay no HOA fees.
I stated as such..."So your HOA fees are just over $100 a month....not bad if that's what you want".

Not knowing a lot about FFG...."not my style of living "..... I "think" you have your own police and fire department over there ¿ How about your water bill ¿ You pay for gym, swimming, etc. on top of HOA ¿
I hear they made a new shooting range, the old one was garbage...

Your statement.... "IMO, the majority of FFG residents are among the rudest most obnoxious people I have ever met anywhere I have resided". I have to agree with you....several have a " Holier-than-thou" attitude.....

Old 09-21-2013, 10:22 AM

866 posts, read 1,767,734 times
As someone who has owned a FFG condo for over 10 years, I'll chime in a bit. Not a resident, my property is a rental. Until this year it was a daily rental aimed at golfers, now have it rented FT. FFG is actually a hybrid community. Full time residents and timeshare. Residents pay to use the pools, on top of HOA, they are included in timeshare owners during their week there. There is a security dept and a POC (volunteer) Fire Dept. You do pay for your own water.
Property values really crashed in the last 4 years or so, starting to come back. And, since I'm in a Condo assn., I pay a monthly fee to my condo assn, and a monthly FFG HOA fee ($80). Investment has not paid off like I'd have hoped.
But, I don't see the shopping, restaurant issue as too big of a deal. People who retire here pick FFG not what it does have, not what it doesn't. Mostly golf. Inexpensive golf on very nice courses. Having Food City up there is a big deal. I'd say the majority of the retirees don't have the need to take more than 1-2 trips/wk into town. Now that both CRMC and CMC are locating dr's there, there is even less of a reason to have to leave. And , in my experience, that's what the majority of the retirees want. I would have to disagree about the majority of the residents having a holier than thou attitude. There are some, no doubt, but the majority of the people I've met have been very down to earth that want to enjoy their retirement.

Old 09-21-2013, 10:50 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,654,778 times
Bones,

Water is supplied by Crab Orchard water and there is a major concern in FFG there won't be enough water to supply future needs.

There is a charge for every activity in FFG. Residents get a reduced rate but it is no bargain. They had a free shooting range down by the lawn waste dump but they closed that and re-opened it under the local shooting club. Everyone now pays an annual $75 fee to belong to the club.

I understand the lakes and ponds here were stocked at one time but no more. There are some small docks for public use but most are in three foot of water surrounded by wall to wall aquatic vegetation.

Yes there is a Public Safety department and Fire department. The police chief puts out a weekly report of incidents in FFG. This amounts to 3-4 petty crimes hardly worth mentioning. It is nice to live in such a low crime area but it also begs the question why do we need a separate police department at all.

Last year they increased the HOA fees by 6% and the government's inflation figure for 2012 was 1.7%. At a recent meeting the board when over the financials and it was clear FFG is making money and has a nice excess of funds. I must ask; then why the HOA fee increase at all? It would be easy for me to make the assumption that the people running FFG would like to drive the older folks, the people who originated FFG, out of the area. As I have seen in other areas one of the best ways to do that is to drive up living costs using HOA fees as their number one weapon.

i.e., Long Neck, DE, coastal recreation area. WWII lots of R&R for vets in Long Neck and many retired there. Most bought modest mobile homes and paid a lot rent that was reasonable for 20-30 years. Along came an investment firm out of Chicago. This firm bought up eight mobile home parks in Long Neck and raised the average lot rent from $300 a month to $800 a month. Needless to say the retirees living there could not afford it. This case did go to court and the court found in favor of the investment firm. To add insult to injury, this investment firm insisted that resident upgrade or replace their older mobile home. Most could not afford to do that and the investment firm then charged them $5-$8,000 to remove their old mobile home. Many of the seniors where in their 80's and 90's and found themselves homeless. I see this as a possible future action at FFG.

When a friend of mine here in FFG when to the office to question the HOA fees he was given the old soft shoe and they hinted if he didn't like it he could leave. Leaving is another problem. According to Zillow houses values have been falling here at a rate of 4% per year. If one sells it will almost always be at a loss and that combined with RE commissions plus other selling costs combined with moving costs and the cost of relocation makes selling almost suicidal.

Local folks in and around Crossville have a strong dislike for FFG people. All one needs do is go to the local farmers market out here to witness the rudeness and hostility.

FFG is a trap. Coming in is easy. Leaving is dam near impossible. The Cumberland Plateau, Tennessee, is a beautiful state and area. It is sad to see such a nice place taken over by a few wealthy elitists running an area for their benefit on the backs of those who can least afford it.

Old 09-21-2013, 11:35 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,029,539 times
I lived in Florida for about 10 years. One of the areas I lived in had the rudest retirees I have ever come across, just staggering how ignorant and nasty they were.

Fast forward to several years ago, and I had to deal with many customers in Fairfield Glade. Their rudeness was legendary and my co-workers would do anything to not have to deal with them. I did meet several nice folks, mostly from the northeast, and they all were miserable living in the midst of those nasties. And the locals, understandably, can't stand these people. It so much reminds me of the retirement area I lived in Florida, younger locals beyond hostile after having to deal with these incredibly rude people.

There are many, many places in Tennessee that are stunningly beautiful and the people are just lovely. But if you want to live in a Stepford retiree environment, frankly that is what you are going to get.

I do wonder if Tellico is better. When I was in real estate it seemed like a far friendlier sort was interested in that area. I really don't know, though. It seems like a certain personality is attracted to these sort of communities but it just might be my limited experience. Maybe there are wonderful communities full of friendly, enlightened people somewhere. But the people that I've dealt with in FFG and SWFlorida seemed like the type to sit around all day dreaming up grievances and being absolutely miserable.

I must say the rest of Tennessee is so amazingly different.

As I told donsabi, if that type of person ever moves in the Knox area in large numbers I will move before I blow my brains out.

Old 09-21-2013, 01:46 PM

Thanks for updating me a bit on FFG.....

I'm a few miles away out in the boonies in my own little world.....

Old 09-21-2013, 03:29 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,029,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Thanks for updating me a bit on FFG.....

I'm a few miles away out in the boonies in my own little world.....
Smart man.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:34 AM

35,911 posts, read 30,461,955 times
Quote:
Notice that 2Mares mentions several more stores. The only grocery stone in FFG is Food City and a satellite Kroger. All the other shopping mentioned is in Crossville proper and that is 15 miles away hence 30 round trip. Considering most cars will use a gallon and a half to and from Crossville from FFG the cost is about $5 per trip. $5 per shopping trip can add up in a hurry.

Crossville also has a Vanity Fair outlet but unlike the one in Reading PA this one is mostly empty stores.

There is one donut shop that features some of the worst donuts I have ever experienced and the coffee is just as bad.

As to shopping; I was referring to stores above the level of Walmart or Kmart. Kohls, Belks, JC Penny and eateries such as Panera's, Atlanta Bread, to mention a few. There's not even a Starbucks and you can find them anywhere.
This all goes back to the fact that people need to look past the pretty packaging when considering these areas of TN to move to and realize that these are rural areas. You are not going to have the Panera's and Starbucks and high class shopping outside your door. For decades TN was thought of like a redheaded stepchild. No one wanted to move here because there were no amenities. I'm not sure why people think its going to be different now, when you move out to BFE your in BFE and its not for everyone.

I don't know about FFG. I'm with Bones, give me the boonies without the pretentious HOAs. I have caught some unpleasant things muttered about the residents of FFG and that was by transplants in Cumberland Cove.

Old 09-23-2013, 02:16 PM

13,336 posts, read 39,700,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
This all goes back to the fact that people need to look past the pretty packaging when considering these areas of TN to move to and realize that these are rural areas. You are not going to have the Panera's and Starbucks and high class shopping outside your door. For decades TN was thought of like a redheaded stepchild. No one wanted to move here because there were no amenities. I'm not sure why people think its going to be different now, when you move out to BFE your in BFE and its not for everyone.

I don't know about FFG. I'm with Bones, give me the boonies without the pretentious HOAs. I have caught some unpleasant things muttered about the residents of FFG and that was by transplants in Cumberland Cove.
I think Cumberland Cove is a great alternative to Fairfield Glade. While CC has an HOA, it's nowhere near as overly intrusive as what they have in FFG, and CC caters to a different clientel altogether (they still have unpaved roads in CC, for example). CC's location is a tad more isolated than FFG, sort of; while there are no grocery stores or medical clinics in CC, it's closer to Cookeville and Nashville which offer a ton more than Crossville and Knoxville, respectively. From CC the closest Starbucks is a mere 20 minutes away in Cookeville, for example, which also has gobs more shopping and restaurants than Crossville. CC is also closer to the Nashville airport which is much larger than Knoxville's and has much cheaper air fares.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Last edited by JMT; 09-24-2013 at 12:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville