Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 10:49 AM

40 posts, read 121,077 times

Advertisements

Hi SBQueen, wanted to let you know of a Minnonite community, just above Monterey. They have oodles of organic stuff. I have some friends that live around there and they shop at the Minnonite store all the time. They are also "health nuts" (absolutely no insult intended). I affectionately call them that to their faces and they think it's funny. Actually, they have shown me a thing or two about eating healtier. They never get tired of my questions and are eager to share their beliefs with me.

I am a "native" and also never gave my kids sugars and cokes. I was given that stuff as a kid and now I can't make myself drink milk. I also have trouble eating cereal without sugar in it because that's how I grew up. I never put sugar in my kids cereals and they don't think any different. My kids are now 15 and 12 1/2 and still to this day do not drink cokes. Most of their friends think it's sort of weird but they don't get too much flack from them. I got alot of flack from my family cause I didn't give my kids candy, cokes and tea; but I stuck to my guns, firmly stated my point and now they think I did the right thing. As my daughter is now a diabetic (as is her dad), I don't have to go through the struggle of weaning her off or restricting things that could harm her. You don't miss what you never had.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2007, 12:22 PM

17 posts, read 105,257 times
I am looking to move this summer, to either Kentucky or Tennessee, and Cookeville looks like a beautiful area - thanks for the info. I am so confused about all of this - and the different outlook this thread has given helps a lot. I am moving from Connecticut, a vegetarian, divorced, catholic woman - and one of my concerns was - what will peoples attitudes be towards me - sounds like I will be accepted unless I personally do something to dissuade people from liking me for the fantastic person I know I am (smiles). Thanks for the info - and if anyone can help me with this decision - it would be soooo greatly appreciated.

Old 04-13-2007, 03:24 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,208,916 times
Yep, it basically depends on the individual.

Catholics are still a relatively small part of the population here in the smaller towns and cities but that shouldn't be a big concern. My family has lived in Tennessee for as long as anyone can remember . . . and part of my family is Catholic on my late grandmother's side. The rest are mostly Baptist or Methodist (or else they're like me, confused :-) . . . everyone gets along. I remember when I was younger and had to go to funerals for those in the family who were Catholic, the Priest would kindly tell the others in the family what the traditions were and how he was performing the service as he went along. That was back when the services were still performed in Latin.

Old 04-13-2007, 03:58 PM

15 posts, read 58,338 times
kitty - thanks for the info on that mennonite store/community. i had heard a little about it but am now very anxious to check it out. We are actually looking much more at monterey than cookeville - seems to be a little quieter and the real estate is priced right for us. I have never been there in my trips up to TN as my SIL lives on the other side of cookeville near baxter, so I will be anxious to check it out.

My husband used to be annoyed that I read all the ingredients in things at the supermarket, but he has come around and actually makes most of our homemade bread for us and all of our salad dressings. It's not even sugar that bothers me as much as the high fructose corn syrup in EVERYTHING nowadays. Good for you to help your kids make healthy choices!

Any more info on monterey you have would be appreciated!

Old 04-13-2007, 04:09 PM

3,963 posts, read 10,630,506 times
My kids just cracked up when I read your last post to them. They are now used to checking labels for HFCS. Everything from spaghetti sauce to yogurt to bread is filled with the stuff, and it will stay that way as long as people buy it.

Old 04-13-2007, 04:31 PM

13,351 posts, read 39,950,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post
My kids just cracked up when I read your last post to them. They are now used to checking labels for HFCS. Everything from spaghetti sauce to yogurt to bread is filled with the stuff, and it will stay that way as long as people buy it.
I know, it's ridiculous!!! While I can't back this up with any scientific evidence, I am convinced that one of the reasons there's an epidemic of diabetes in this country (including me) is because there's HFCS in EVERYTHING! I saw even our good friend Paul Newman has HFCS in his "virgin" lemonade. grrrrrrrrr

So all of you who make sure your kids don't consume high fructose corn syrup, you are doing the right thing. And scrapbookqueen, I bet that homemade bread of yours is delicious! It'll be really good with some of that organic Amish butter they sell at the Mennonite store near Monterey.

Old 04-13-2007, 05:54 PM

15 posts, read 58,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post
You guys are so right! That's why we make a lot of stuff instead of buying it. I work from home so I have the time to mess around with it. And I am so looking forward to paying organic TN prices versus the highway robbery they charge here in South Florida now that organic is "in". I can just taste the Amish butter now...

Old 04-13-2007, 10:25 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,681,562 times
mmmmmmmmm.....nothing like fresh baked bread straight out of the oven! sign me up for some of that

Old 05-10-2007, 11:46 AM

2 posts, read 5,158 times
Cookeville is an interesting little town, there's pockets of all sorts of people here. You just have to find your pocket.

I moved here two years ago, and might be moving away again soon, but it took a lot of adjustment on my part. We cloth diaper, baby wear, and did extended breastfeeding and delayed vax. Both of my children signed.

We had a hard run in with a local pediatrician over the delayed vax schedule, even after explanations that I almost died from mine. It was horrible. My daughter cried, and the doctor screamed at me in front of my kids.

I met a group of like minded women at La Leche League, and have been trying to start an Attachment Parenting group with another woman, but the hurdles have been amazing. And now, since we might move...

No matter where you live, people are going to say things that are hurtful. That being said, people are also going to say nice things too!

Good luck on the move. If you need to, email me and I'll try to tell you how to run into some of the crunchy moms around here.

Old 05-11-2007, 08:53 PM

2,007 posts, read 6,829,864 times
You call yourself a treehugger and are gripeing about taking your trash into town for recycling? So it hurts to feel good, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville