U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 03:34 PM

98 posts, read 361,782 times

Advertisements

It was 65 years ago. I was born yonder on the Cumberland Plateau. Grew up as a Tennessee Hillbilly. Swam in the waters of Cane Creek. Watched the water of the creek plunge over beautiful Fall Creek Falls. Looked over into the beautiful Sequatchie Valley at the towns of Pikeville and Dunlap. Visited my grandmother in the countyside of Cumberland County near Crossville. Visited my aunts and uncles around Monterey, Cookeville and Algood in Putnam County. I have traveled the Baker Mountain road at the Hawk's Bluff area many times. I have spent time in VA, MA, & FL and as a young man I thought southern Georgia was the most beautiful spot I had ever seen. Most places are who you are and what you are looking for. There was a time that I would have steered clear of the Hawk's Bluff area when they have the annual Highland Rim Cycle classic with bike riders from all over the world, but last year I got caught in the traffic and enjoyed ever big of it. I may drive back up there this May and just follow them down the mountain. I will live the rest of my life in the beautiful little town of McMinnville (many on here hate it and run it down). I love it even with all the Mexicans and the two largest plants leaving and going to Mexico. All the contact I ever have with the Mexicans is in Wal Mart and the grocery stores and all then is I hear them speaking in Spanish. They all smile when you look at them. Some will move to Tennessee and be sorry you did. Some will come and will never leave. I have relatives who moved to Florida from the Plateau and say the would never move back. While I know of a couple who moved from Florida here and took a fifty thousand dollar loss on the property they bought here just to get back to Florida. It is all according to what you want. Remember there will be crime and loss of jobs in just about any place you live.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2007, 05:23 PM

28,717 posts, read 42,554,830 times
I would say you've been blessed in your life and continue to be so.

A large part of it likely comes from your attitude...

Old 04-17-2007, 12:13 AM

13 posts, read 40,868 times
Default Thanks for Sharing

Tom,
Thanks for sharing.
We've been considering a move from Ca. to TN and specifically to the Cumberland Plateau. Your comments are truly that of a heartfelt native, I respect that, thanks again for sharing.
Dianna, inmodesto

Old 04-17-2007, 07:37 PM

240 posts, read 1,087,363 times
I have a friend that has 10 lots that he is trying to sell along the river in Spencer . Nice lots about 1.5 ac each with water. He is selling them cheap for 110000 with all services.

Old 04-17-2007, 10:30 PM

12,545 posts, read 35,008,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brcomm0 View Post
I have a friend that has 10 lots that he is trying to sell along the river in Spencer . Nice lots about 1.5 ac each with water. He is selling them cheap for 110000 with all services.
$110,000 is cheap??? Or is that for all 10 lots?

Old 04-18-2007, 12:02 AM

That Is Per Lot. Sorry. Still Think That Is Good Price.

Old 04-18-2007, 12:54 AM

12,545 posts, read 35,008,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brcomm0 View Post
That Is Per Lot. Sorry. Still Think That Is Good Price.
The median house value there is $55,000, the median household income is $25,000. Spencer and Van Buren County have lost population since 2000 according to the US Census. It's a very, very poor area where 60% of its school students are economically disadvantaged. It's beautiful there, but no, I do not think that $110,000 for a 1.5 acre lot in Spencer is a good price, even if it's on the river.

Old 04-18-2007, 04:16 AM

I think if you were looking for vacation home on a lake would be really cool
If you are thinking about moving with kids your right.

Old 04-18-2007, 02:53 PM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
796 posts, read 2,625,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
$110,000 is cheap??? Or is that for all 10 lots?
Sounds REALLY high to me too, even if they are on the river. Maybe people in CA or FL may think that a reasonable price for a 1.5 acre lot, but - that's high.

Good luck to your friend.

blessings, Shen

Old 04-18-2007, 02:57 PM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
796 posts, read 2,625,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkey Creek Tom View Post
It was 65 years ago. I was born yonder on the Cumberland Plateau. Grew up as a Tennessee Hillbilly. Swam in the waters of Cane Creek. Watched the water of the creek plunge over beautiful Fall Creek Falls. <SNIP> Remember there will be crime and loss of jobs in just about any place you live.
Thanks for the post, Tom! Beautiful descriptions, and you're right on your last statement.

A persons attitude has alot to do with their perceptions of a place, and the response that they get from natives of the area. If you come in with an open and friendly attitude, you'll get it back, I've found. If you come in with suspicion and frowns, you'll get that back too.

Smile at least one time at one person everyday, and make a difference in someone's life in a small way everyday. Pass on the friendliness you receive, to someone else. And Smile!

blessings, Shen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville