U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 08:49 PM

10 posts, read 64,419 times

Advertisements

Hi, we recently discovered Cookeville via a retirement newsletter, anyone have some info to help us with a decision? We are currently in NV, really need to get out of the dry climes, this is just too dry. Orginally retired from CA, full time RV'd for 15 years and hubby just had to live here, yuk! As soon as our property sells we are out of here. Thought we'd go back to TX, but too much humidity and heat, Cookeville looks great. Any info, news on stores (is there a Walmart?), is it friendly? Volunteer opportunities? Anything would be of help. Thanks Aphouser
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2007, 09:14 PM

15,208 posts, read 11,133,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aphouser View Post
Hi, we recently discovered Cookeville via a retirement newsletter, anyone have some info to help us with a decision? We are currently in NV, really need to get out of the dry climes, this is just too dry. Orginally retired from CA, full time RV'd for 15 years and hubby just had to live here, yuk! As soon as our property sells we are out of here. Thought we'd go back to TX, but too much humidity and heat, Cookeville looks great. Any info, news on stores (is there a Walmart?), is it friendly? Volunteer opportunities? Anything would be of help. Thanks Aphouser

Hi Aphouser, welcome to our little corner of the world.

Go to the top of the forums page and use the SEARCH for Cookeville A lot of good info has been posted.

Old 05-01-2007, 10:51 PM

710 posts, read 1,816,623 times
Hi, there--

First, there are two Super Wal-Marts in the Cookeville area. (NO TARGET--yes I'm bitter.)

We moved here from FL about 18 months ago. People here are very friendly. It's beautiful. There are tons of volunteer opportunities, from working up at the hospital to working with children to tons of church stuff.

Housing prices are still pretty good. There are lots of older folks but also tons of young folks because there is a 4-year university here. Tons of restaurants. No serious crime problems, just the occasional meth bust/petty crime. for the most part.

It's good. Come for a visit and check it out!

Old 05-01-2007, 11:13 PM

11 posts, read 34,676 times
Default East Tennessee

You should also check out the area a little further East. Loudon County has a development called Tellico Village that you should really check out. We also have a Target about 20 minutes or so away. Wal-Mart is very close.
Just google Tellico Village or I can send you a lot of information about the area. Might be a nice visit for you. Good Luck with whatever you decide.

Old 05-02-2007, 05:07 AM

12,598 posts, read 35,162,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aphouser View Post
Welcome to Tennessee! I think you've zeroed in on one of the nicest towns in the state. I live in Knoxville but consider Cookeville to be a jewel of a town. I'd move there in a heartbeat if I could.

Not only are there two Wal-Mart SuperCenters in Cookeville, but there's also Sam's Club, Kohl's, KMart, JCPenney, Sears, Peebles, Belk, Old Navy, Staples, Office Max, Hobby Lobby, Goody's, over 100 restaurants, a symphony, art galleries, several theater groups, one of the top 5 hospitals in the state for heart care, and several lakes, state parks, and 8 golf courses in the area.

I'm with Wordy, I wish there was a Target there, but supposedly that's coming as there are plans to demolish the current mall there and rebuild it from scratch.

And in case you like to travel, Cookeville is only an hour from the Nashville airport which is a hub for Southwest Airlines and has cheap, direct flights all over the US.

Old 05-02-2007, 08:25 AM

763 posts, read 1,363,177 times
Default I think you forgot something!

And most importantly, there's a Lowe's store in Cookeville, a big one. But shopping there can be addictive. I know someone who has fallen into the web . . .

Old 05-02-2007, 03:32 PM

47 posts, read 171,322 times
We moved here 9 months ago and love it. You will get humidity. I'm from Michigan and I'm used to it; don't think it's as bad here.

There are lots of thread on here talking about Cookeville. I've learned a lot just reading them, and I already live here!

Every Sunday, the local paper carries a whole list of volunteer opportunities. I am volunteering at an agency that helps the poor with food, electric bills, and rent.

We also have a Welcome Club that has activities going on every week. I have met some great ladies through it. Look for announcements of activities in the paper. They also have a men's breakfast once a month and frequent socials that include the husbands. Activities include breakfast, lunch, book club, game day, bunco, occasionally bridge, and a variety of other activities.

The town is growing with new businesses and restaurants being added constantly. People have been very friendly. I miss Target and Christopher & Banks and Meijer's, but for the most part I am satisfied with what is available here.

Old 05-02-2007, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyappy View Post
And most importantly, there's a Lowe's store in Cookeville, a big one. But shopping there can be addictive. I know someone who has fallen into the web . . .
d'oh! How could I forget Lowe's? I love Lowe's, too! The local business rag in Cookeville said Home Depot is going up over by Sam's Club, and while I'm glad to hear it, I still prefer Lowe's.

Old 05-02-2007, 03:50 PM

710 posts, read 1,816,623 times
Don't tease us about the maybe-Target, JMT! (That is the PERFECT spot for a new one, though--it looks like it should already be there.)

I'm not greedy. I would even be good with a garden-variety Target. It doesn't have to be a Super Target!

Old 05-02-2007, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordy View Post
Don't tease us about the maybe-Target, JMT! (That is the PERFECT spot for a new one, though--it looks like it should already be there.)

I'm not greedy. I would even be good with a garden-variety Target. It doesn't have to be a Super Target!
haha tell me about it. I LOVE Target. I don't know why I love Target but hate Wal-Mart.

Anyway, the Cumberland Business Journal said that the owners of the Cookeville Mall are working with the developer who built Providence in Mount Juliet to bring stores to Cookeville that Providence has but aren't already in Cookeville. And the only stores that Providence has that Cookeville doesn't already have are Target and Best Buy. And I would LOVE to see either (or both) of those in Cookeville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville