Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 03:08 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,977,170 times

Advertisements

As you head out of Monterey toward Muddy Pond, there's a bar on the right side of the road....with a drive-in window
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 08:09 AM

35,944 posts, read 30,488,406 times
Quote:
As you head out of Monterey toward Muddy Pond, there's a bar on the right side of the road....with a drive-in window
Which way. Bill Geers has been closed a long time. Goobs old place is still opened but has a new owner which has highly increased the diversity. I think they have Karaoke on Friday nights.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:13 AM

Quote:
I also drive all the way from Knoxville to buy shoes at Phillips Shoes in downtown Monterey. In fact I might head over there tomorrow, I need some dress shoes. And then swing by DQ for a chocolate shake...
You know the shoe store is under new owners. Jack passed away around a yr. ago, but they opted to or had to keep the name for a certain time period. I havent been in yet, but I think they are still doing a good business.

Have you tried the tater wedges at DQ and the hot fudge cake! They dont make them like that anymore at the other DQs.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:32 AM

Quote:
I read on City Data that the town has 2-3K people, so I didn't expect an actual downtown, though small, and a high school and library to boot. I wonder if there is a grocery store around - perhaps so.

I may be coming down to check out the Monterey area and Overton County in general, shortly after Christmas. I'll also check out Cumberland Cove. Is it fairly close to Monterey?
Monterey has maintained roughly a 2-3K population. Over the last 5 year we have developed a large hispanic population. A new middle school was added a few yrs. ago and I believe there is talk of building a new elementary school. The library is small but I believe there talk of expansion.
Two grocery stores, save a lot, and browns IGA. Carls old market, but it is expensive and run down. We even have a clinic, a dr. office and a dentist!

Check out the local paper hilltopexpress.net for a better idea of local happenings.

The cove is about 5mile out of town a straight shot on hwy 70. Cumberland Lakes development is another 3miles just out of Mayland.

If you are interested in Overton Co., Livingston is a nice town you might want to check out also. It is rural but a quick drive on hwy 111 to Cookeville, and close to Dale Hollow Lake.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:35 AM

179 posts, read 450,625 times
I was devestated when they closed the Phillips in Cookeville - sorry to hear about the owner, I think that had something to do with them closing the Cookeville store.

As far as my opinion on Monterey, I don't have a very strong one. Personally, I probably wouldn't choose to live there, but I like a little faster pace. Monterey is very rural, mostly home town folks. Although, they have become more forward thinking in recent years (meaning trying to attract new people, grow the town). They have made some administration changes in their high school that has alot of people really happy with the level of education for a small town.

It also seems they are trying to catch some of the spill over from the Crossville/Cookeville retirement splash. Cumberland Cove is a nice little development. It's still in the development stages, but there are nice big tracts (5-8 ac) available on a golf course with a minimal HOA ($99/yr). Cumberland Cove Property Owners Association Web Site

HTH!

Old 12-04-2009, 08:54 AM

I agree with you Amber. It is quite a depressed little town especially for young people. To do anything except the basics you have to go to Cookeville. I dont know anything about the current schools but it has to be better than it once was.

The cove has been around for a long time although they are just getting city water to some areas. I dont think they have been selling many lots lately, actually I think many people would like to get out of there. I have personally heard a lot of grumbling by folks living there and know one family that sold and built just across the hwy out of the development. There also seems to be a lot of homes for sale in the area. I could be wrong, but thats the way it seems. I guess its not for everyone.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:15 AM

1,292 posts, read 4,977,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Which way. Bill Geers has been closed a long time. Goobs old place is still opened but has a new owner which has highly increased the diversity. I think they have Karaoke on Friday nights.

It's been a couple of years since I was by there, but I'm pretty sure it was on Highway 62 just as you're leaving town......a white building, as I recall.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:15 AM

179 posts, read 450,625 times
I haven't seen very many in the MLS (though there are a few) and have just talked to a couple of people from the Florida area who have bought lots to build on. Hmmmm, interesting to hear a local perspective.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:
It's been a couple of years since I was by there, but I'm pretty sure it was on Highway 62 just as you're leaving town......a white building, as I recall.
That one is still open. Use to be my pitstop to use a real restroom, get a BBQ sandwich or one of those big beer dogs and freshen up my saddle bags about half way thru a ride. Sometimes I would just ride my horse thru the drive thru window and order if I didnt have to pee.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
I haven't seen very many in the MLS (though there are a few) and have just talked to a couple of people from the Florida area who have bought lots to build on. Hmmmm, interesting to hear a local perspective.
Ive seen quite a few and I was looking at the listings on this site.

property for sale in cumberland cove, monterey, tn - Google Maps

It is a beautiful area and good location. The complaining I have heard is concerning the HOA, regulations and restrictions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville