Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 01:46 PM

3 posts, read 7,062 times

Advertisements

We might be moving from Wisconsin for my husbands company. Manufacturing job. Want to know what to expect for crime and schools?? Good, bad, what?
We would be coming from a small town of 12,000 like Mayberry! Need info on Superwalmart and what about the nearby Malls. I need a mall to window shop. Also what is a good neighborhood??? VERY IMPORTANT!!!
Thank you,
J
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 03:11 PM

13,354 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmyers04 View Post
We might be moving from Wisconsin for my husbands company. Manufacturing job. Want to know what to expect for crime and schools?? Good, bad, what?
We would be coming from a small town of 12,000 like Mayberry! Need info on Superwalmart and what about the nearby Malls. I need a mall to window shop. Also what is a good neighborhood??? VERY IMPORTANT!!!
Thank you,
J
Welcome to the forum!

Cookeville's schools are excellent. You can check out their scores at greatschools.net

There are two Wal-Mart Supercenters in Cookeville as well as KMart, Sam's Club, Kohl's, Belk, Sears, JCPenney, TJMaxx, Old Navy, and others.

The mall in Cookeville is pretty much deserted; only JCPenney is left, I think. Supposedly the owners are going to tear down the rest of the mall and rebuild it from scratch.

Crime in Cookeville is very tame although it's a growing town with lots of college students so it's not crime-free. There are many, many neighborhoods, almost all of them are great. What's your price range?

Old 04-30-2010, 05:31 PM

869 posts, read 1,787,594 times
What town in Wi? We just moved here from far northern Il 9 months ago. It's a great place here. But, if you truly "need a mall", you'll be driving to Nashville. There is Opry Mills there, along with a few others. About an hour drive.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:10 PM

179 posts, read 453,115 times
Depends on your price range, but I really think there are nice neighborhoods for any price point (well at least anything over 100k, less than that, it may be iffy)...

Old 05-03-2010, 09:00 AM

3 posts, read 7,062 times
Thank you all for your input!!! We are in Stoughton Wi. 20 minutes from Madison. We have only been here 2 years but it is sooo cold. We are from AZ originally!! Very hot there! Our price range would be about 195,000 to 275,000. We would like more info on Property taxes since they are VERY HIGH here. I understand the hour drive to the BIG mall!!! I would do it in a heartbeat! Just a nice get away to a BIG city from such a small town. Stoughton has 12,000 which is REALLY SMALL compared to AZ where we lived had half a million!
Plus we would like more info on car insurance, car licensing and registration and do you need tornado insurance? Do you need hail insurance? Just trying to factor in all the necessary costs will determine our house price.
Thank you all for your information I was really excited to have people that LIVE THERE tell me what's up!!!
Take care
J

Old 05-03-2010, 09:09 AM

SInce I am in insurance, I can answer your insurance questions. Coverage for tornado is included with homeowners insurance and thoe risk for tornado's where you are now is higher than here, but both areas would be above avg tornado risks. Auto Insurance is probably higher than where you are coming form. Wi is one of the least exp auto insurnace states & my rates here, moving from suburban Chicago, are about the same. Lic & Reg is cheap here, $24/car.

In the price range you are shopping for a home you can find 3-5 bdrm anywhere from 1800-3000 sq ft houses. There are many nice neighborhoods here with houses in that range. Send me a msg & i can give you some more info. We're looking in that range now ourselves.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:24 PM

55 posts, read 129,013 times
It depends if you live with in the city limits or not.I live outside the city limits and on a 185000 House I payed close to 1200 tax.I also have 3 kids in school they like them.Middle School is good Highschool is too and there are quite a view elementary school's how old are your kids?For a House Insurance I have Farm Bureau they quoted me the best,they send someone out to the house to look at everything took all remodeling under consideration and quoted me half of all other insurance companies.Also have you ever considered USAA there car insurance is the cheapest I know also lowest quotes than all insurances here or NC plus when you move you can stay with them wherever you go,with no hassle.
Well unless they build a lot more 5 bedroom houses they not that easy to come by I have to disagree with Sparkman when I moved here 2 years ago it was a task just to find a 4 bedroom house ,3 bedrooms where plenty 4 and 5 a little difficult to find so I took one with formals and an office and made some bedrooms out of it. Well if you have more ?tions about shopping schools etc you can Im me too wish you the best

Old 05-04-2010, 10:41 PM

179 posts, read 453,115 times
That's a pretty big range. If you have that kind of budget, you can really live almost anywhere in Cookeville (save a few of the real high end subdivisions). Also, lucky for you, the more expensive homes (say over 200k) are what has been hit with the recent recession, so there are several very good deals to be had right now.

Some of my favorite subdivisions in that price range:
Village Green
Heathwood West
Creekwood
Brookside
Rebecca Place
and there are a few in that range in White Plains.

But really, until you come here and get a feel for the community, it's hard to know which subdivision you will really fall in love with. For those who move in from out of town, they typically choose property based more on the house than the subdivision. Hope it works out for you, Cookeville is a great place to live!

Old 05-05-2010, 07:30 PM

10 posts, read 32,770 times
Creekwood is a favorite of mine also. very nice.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanMom View Post
It depends if you live with in the city limits or not.I live outside the city limits and on a 185000 House I payed close to 1200 tax.I also have 3 kids in school they like them.Middle School is good Highschool is too and there are quite a view elementary school's how old are your kids?For a House Insurance I have Farm Bureau they quoted me the best,they send someone out to the house to look at everything took all remodeling under consideration and quoted me half of all other insurance companies.Also have you ever considered USAA there car insurance is the cheapest I know also lowest quotes than all insurances here or NC plus when you move you can stay with them wherever you go,with no hassle.
Well unless they build a lot more 5 bedroom houses they not that easy to come by I have to disagree with Sparkman when I moved here 2 years ago it was a task just to find a 4 bedroom house ,3 bedrooms where plenty 4 and 5 a little difficult to find so I took one with formals and an office and made some bedrooms out of it. Well if you have more ?tions about shopping schools etc you can Im me too wish you the best
HotPads.com is showing 26 5 bedroom houses for sale in Putnam County right now, under $300,000. We have been looking for a minimum of a 4 bedroom, under $300,000 and have seen about 60 different houses listed. We have looked at about 15 of them in the last week, anywhere from $184000 to $299000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville