Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 12:46 PM

1 posts, read 56,970 times

Advertisements

Hello, I would like to hear some thoughts from Corpus residents concerning the local area, especially around the naval facility. I know the cost of living, home prices, weather from internet searches, but what about day to day living? Crime? Public schools? Are you "Love it and never leaving!" Or "Can't get out of here fast enough!" Just general thoughts. Thank you for your time.

Old 07-21-2006, 09:11 AM

2 posts, read 60,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyrider
Hello, I would like to hear some thoughts from Corpus residents concerning the local area, especially around the naval facility. I know the cost of living, home prices, weather from internet searches, but what about day to day living? Crime? Public schools? Are you "Love it and never leaving!" Or "Can't get out of here fast enough!" Just general thoughts. Thank you for your time.
If you are military you already have a job. If you or any family members are looking for work be sure you know fluent spanish or tex/mex. I have been looking for work for three years (masters in education) and have not been able to find work. The schools on the south side and flour bluff are really good. crime is alright west side of town is worse. There is some cheap housing in the bluff near NAS. If you are looking for decent housing the south side of corpus, and the island are nice.
As far as my family is concerned we would leave today ASAP if we had the money to go. There is not a lot of white culture here and that is important to us. Also the job market for teachers in my opinion is not good. My husband has also had a hard time finding work. Corpus has the highest percentage of welfare recipients, 1 in 3 do not have car insurance, property taxes are sky high, the roads need a lot of improvement, once you visit the lex, aquarium, and beach there is not a lot to do. If you enjoy hunting fishing and ball sports are secure in a job and have good savings go for it. The worst thing that will happen is you will experience something and love it or leave it.

Old 09-02-2006, 01:53 PM

4 posts, read 80,367 times
Default Corpus Christi

I live 40 miles from Corpus Christi, homes are way over
priced..crime rate is out of sight, shopping is located
along frontage roads..has some good restaurants

Old 09-02-2006, 06:20 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,376,102 times
TripleM...i am moving to Kingsville this month. Please tell me what to expect. I did visit for my interview a few weeks ago

Old 09-03-2006, 09:59 AM

4 posts, read 74,670 times
I have lived in several towns in texas, and corpus christi is the worst. High crime,taxes,utilities,etc. They are always increasing taxes and utility costs with out an improvement in services. Several people I know are moving out of nueces county(corpus christi) just to be rid of the high tax rate. I have never experienced discrimination until I moved here. I can't wait until I retire to move somewhere that the climate is not miserably HOT!

Old 05-31-2007, 08:23 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,696,519 times
gtrgrrrl,

If your problems are all caused by living in Corpus Christi, why don't you move?

I've lived here a long time, have a good job, love my neighborhood and my daughter's school. My husband worked in a good job at TAMUCC that led to a better job. We have friends who all seem to make decent livings doing lots of different things.

To say that "most of us are truly suffering in this place" is ridiculous.

Where do you think you could live where you're life would be all that you hope?

Old 05-31-2007, 12:45 PM

1 posts, read 56,678 times
I have lived in CC for 20 years with a brief leave to Dallas. Growing up here isn't that bad. I lived in Flour Bluff and even though all the schools trash each other the Bluff is an excellent school. Now that I am older and out of school I really appreciate the free education I received. As far as jobs, if you're moving here with one then its great. When I moved back to care for family I had a very difficult finding a position. I finally went through a temp agency. I don't make enough to live on and am like the majority getting state help. It took a year to receive day care assistance due to the number of people who get it. What appals me is the fact that I am trying and there are people here who live off government money. There are kids at my childs day care that receive help also but they just drop them off go back home and then come and pick them up at the end of the day. I even had a case worker tell me that I was better off not working and could get more help. I don't get health insurance or retirement. The houses for the most part are less expensive than most places. Cost of living is comparable to any metro area in Texas. Property taxes will hurt if you have to pay them. The lack of people looking in the mirror before they leave the house is overwhelming too but if you're not looking for a mate then that shouldn't be a problem. I think that CC is a nice place for Tex-Mex, Mexicans, and the elderly but not for up and coming people who would like decent careers. The town only wants to help "Latinos" and "Minorities" except the minorites are white people but it's not seen that way. Most people, from my experience, that are here are here for good unless they were transplanted here.

Old 05-31-2007, 02:00 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,991,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccguest View Post
I have lived in CC for 20 years with a brief leave to Dallas. Growing up here isn't that bad. I lived in Flour Bluff and even though all the schools trash each other the Bluff is an excellent school. Now that I am older and out of school I really appreciate the free education I received. As far as jobs, if you're moving here with one then its great. When I moved back to care for family I had a very difficult finding a position. I finally went through a temp agency. I don't make enough to live on and am like the majority getting state help. It took a year to receive day care assistance due to the number of people who get it. What appals me is the fact that I am trying and there are people here who live off government money. There are kids at my childs day care that receive help also but they just drop them off go back home and then come and pick them up at the end of the day. I even had a case worker tell me that I was better off not working and could get more help. I don't get health insurance or retirement. The houses for the most part are less expensive than most places. Cost of living is comparable to any metro area in Texas. Property taxes will hurt if you have to pay them. The lack of people looking in the mirror before they leave the house is overwhelming too but if you're not looking for a mate then that shouldn't be a problem. I think that CC is a nice place for Tex-Mex, Mexicans, and the elderly but not for up and coming people who would like decent careers. The town only wants to help "Latinos" and "Minorities" except the minorites are white people but it's not seen that way. Most people, from my experience, that are here are here for good unless they were transplanted here.
This is typical of the indifference that i was referring to. The anglo power base will never admit that they have and have had things VERY EASY in corpus for a LONG time. Corpus was and still is a white boy establishment that prefers to promote from within that group. It is far from a city that wants to promote Mex-americans. Just look at the Society pages in the Sunday paper. It is a who knows who city. If you think that you are DEPRIVED b/c you are white, UB crazy. I agree with the poster that it is not a place for those of ANY ethnicity that want a career, which is why so many of the city's young educated leave to other cities with more going on. It is a good place for doctors, PI attorneys,nursing, etc. i think b/c of the citizens' health problems and multitude of accidents in the area.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:09 AM

1 posts, read 53,610 times
Please give me your thoughts about Corpus Christi. Thinking to relocate due to job. Is it a good place to raise kids. how is daily activìties and living expenses. Thank you for your time.

Old 06-16-2009, 05:43 PM

244 posts, read 803,696 times
Corpus Christi is a beautiful city with plenty to do. Friendly people, lots of culture and low cost of living. The only people that seem to complain about a lack of activities tend to be overweight, lazy people. This city is an outdoor lovers dream and there are festivals or events on any given weekend that are typically all free of charge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi