U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 10:05 AM

7 posts, read 17,058 times

Advertisements

so this time next year i will be living in corpus christi tx for a few reasons:
1) school is cheaper

2) we have all these people moving to san antonio taking all of our jobs making it impossible for me to have one

3) and for a couple of years now the traffic and the immigrants have just been taking over ( don't go crazy on me my dad crossed illegally )

4) and we simply can't do this anymore. its to much SA has simply become to popular

there was one point when SA was a NICE city, now its just ridiculous. anyway were moving for those reasons. my question is:

is there anything i should know about CC, Texas?
like... does parking on campus suck?
would i be better off riding my bike?
are there any apts i should know to stay away from?
are there any awesome cheap apts?
which side of town is best?
what time is there traffic?
Is there any traffic?

also i've heard that getting a job in CC is tough but by the looks of craigslist its not much harder than here

any and all info would be awesome!!! thanks much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 11:43 AM

484 posts, read 1,415,288 times
outdoors456,

I'll try to answer some of your points;

Quote:
does parking on campus suck?
That depends on which campus you are asking about. DelMar has limited parking while T&AMCC has lots of parking space. My wife teaches at DelMar and I hate to visit her because I always have to park two blocks away and walk a bit.

Quote:
would i be better off riding my bike?
Is that a motorbike? Again, that depends on which campus. DelMar is within a biking commute of some parts of town, (not my part of town), and T&AMCC would be a rather long bike ride from almost anywhere.

Quote:
are there any apts i should know to stay away from?
There are lots of apartment complexes which cater to college students with low-to middle of the road prices, it depends on how much you want to spend.

Quote:
are there any awesome cheap apts?
Prolly not, but you might get lucky in a cheap apartment and get some good neighbors.

Quote:
which side of town is best?
Generally south and southeast, avoid north and some northwest. Be sure to avoid the downtown Leopard St. area as this is a high crime area.

Quote:
what time is there traffic?
Is there any traffic?
Traffic is not a big problem in CC, regardless of the time of day you can basically go anywhere in the city by car in 15 minutes. We are a rather small city and not that bothered by traffic jams.

Old 07-08-2010, 12:35 PM

15,246 posts, read 17,437,145 times
Also, the #5 bus runs down Alameda to TAMUCC and is free for students. If you live within a few blocks of Alameda, it's easy to go back and forth.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:04 PM

1,357 posts, read 2,711,334 times
Here is a great way to summarize the backwards-ness of this city... The most exciting thing/biggest news in this city is that two new Wal-Mart Supercenters are to be built in the city and to be completed by fall 2011. LOL!

This may give you some insight on how this city is.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:21 PM

135 posts, read 444,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
Here is a great way to summarize the backwards-ness of this city... The most exciting thing/biggest news in this city is that two new Wal-Mart Supercenters are to be built in the city and to be completed by fall 2011. LOL!

you have no idea how great corpus is until you move. for a city with 280k, its got plenty to do. if you compare it with other cities its size you will be surprised how good CC has it. quit being so negative..

Old 07-09-2010, 03:54 PM

Actually,,, I was looking forward to having another Wal-Mart around. Wal-Mart is my favorite store.

Old 07-09-2010, 05:32 PM

163 posts, read 621,675 times
I really, really wish they'd build a Target out here in Calallen. Then again, maybe it's a blessing in disguise because I'd go broke if there was one in the area. ::sigh:: A girl can dream...

Old 07-09-2010, 09:05 PM

The only Target store I'm familiar with is the one on SPID. Some of the Target stuff seems to be more high end than Wal-Mart... Like kitchen stuff, the pots and pans are much nicer than the Wal-Mart brands and slightly more expensive, is the other merchandise of better quality?

Old 07-10-2010, 08:14 AM

163 posts, read 621,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtx View Post
The only Target store I'm familiar with is the one on SPID. Some of the Target stuff seems to be more high end than Wal-Mart... Like kitchen stuff, the pots and pans are much nicer than the Wal-Mart brands and slightly more expensive, is the other merchandise of better quality?
Yup, that's the only one we have out here. Personally, I prefer their bedding/bath selections over Wal-Marts (prints and quality wise) and I love their clothing selections for myself and my boys, too. Also, I have a coupon-obsessed friend of mine who does "Target runs" and she combines manufacture coupons with in-store coupons and gets tons and tons of products extremely cheap or free.

Old 07-10-2010, 09:06 AM

245 posts, read 728,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post

While that may be the biggest news to you, it isn't to the rest of us living in Corpus Christi. There are so many bigger and better things going on. The demolition of the coliseum and Destination Bayfront to take its place. The redevelopment of the land next to American Bank Center to include condos, retail, restaurant, hotels and possible waterpark. The new splash park on the northern end of shoreline blvd (which is just a sneak preview of what the rest of shoreline is going to look like as the begin phases 2 and 3).

these are just a few... I could go on.

Wish you would focus on the positive things going on and get involved. YOu might be surprised how great CC can be when you do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi