U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2010, 10:41 AM

92 posts, read 143,917 times

Advertisements

In SA it seems that the medical field is a pretty sure thing to find a job.
Is that the case here? What fields are in demand/growing and pay a decent livable wage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 09:36 PM

484 posts, read 1,416,615 times
cakmke,

If you are a doctor/nurse/or medic, you can earn a decent living almost anywhere, CC is no exception. Other than that, CC is basically a blue collar sort of town with a port, a bunch of refineries and chem plants. We survive with what we have, just like any other town.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:08 AM

19 posts, read 46,920 times
Default Live in inglesde

I agree w/jbtx, but outside of those fields the job market is horrible. If you already have it, its a good place to live, but there is nothing here other wise. I work for the State, and I have at least 150 avg applications a month for assistance. The younger people just don't have many opportunities, and a lot of them like it that way.
I cannot wait to get out of here.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:55 PM

484 posts, read 1,416,615 times
eastcoast,

I'm sorry your experience here has not been favorable. I'm a retired geophysicist. My wife is a teacher at Del Mar. We have always viewed CC as a home place, a nest, a haven away from the craziness of Houston and Dallas, which I've had to deal with throughout my career. We have zero interest in bars, clubs, and bright lights, We are much more comfortable with our old friends, our church, our culture, and especially our Saturday afternoon BBQ's, which goes with the innate hospitality of south TX. The joke here is that if you arrive at our house as a guest, the first thing I will offer you is a drink, the second thing, my wife will try to feed you. We are old school south Texas.

'Sway we are. If you don't fit into the pattern, no doubt you will be happier some place else. We do things at our own pace here and not everybody likes the life style.

Old 09-24-2010, 11:37 PM

19 posts, read 46,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtx View Post
eastcoast,

I'm sorry your experience here has not been favorable. I'm a retired geophysicist. My wife is a teacher at Del Mar. We have always viewed CC as a home place, a nest, a haven away from the craziness of Houston and Dallas, which I've had to deal with throughout my career. We have zero interest in bars, clubs, and bright lights, We are much more comfortable with our old friends, our church, our culture, and especially our Saturday afternoon BBQ's, which goes with the innate hospitality of south TX. The joke here is that if you arrive at our house as a guest, the first thing I will offer you is a drink, the second thing, my wife will try to feed you. We are old school south Texas.

'Sway we are. If you don't fit into the pattern, no doubt you will be happier some place else. We do things at our own pace here and not everybody likes the life style.
Seems like you are saying, that if I don't like it...
As a retired geophysicist, that puts you in another category right off the bat.
I am retired Navy, I have a degree, and I can teach English, and am now working on my degree for Social Work. I am in the trenches working with people in towns like Sinton, Taft, Refugio and Odem, and truth be told, CC is NOT all roses and shangrila. I was speaking based on observations that I have made that differ from the haven, and is is not the 'norm.' Most people reality is not based on your view of South Texas, and there is nothing wrong with it. I too enjoy church, and BBQ's and football. However you have to paint a realistic picture of Cc, and other surrounding areas also.

Crime, and the job market down here is an abomination, and the education that most get by with is lacking.
I have at least 4 clients a month 15-17 pregnant, and not in school, and have no hopes of going back.
I am still here after 8 years because I live in Ingleside, and I have 2 boys who like it down here, because their is hope for the younger generation,
they are open minded and don't see seem to see their way as the only way.
I have no interest in bars, and bright lights, but I do recognize the needs and whats going on in the lives of those around me, and to me that should be the old school South Texas way, you have to tell the story from all sides.

Old 09-25-2010, 09:47 AM

1,678 posts, read 3,606,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoast.transplant View Post
Seems like you are saying, that if I don't like it...
As a retired geophysicist, that puts you in another category right off the bat.
I am retired Navy, I have a degree, and I can teach English, and am now working on my degree for Social Work. I am in the trenches working with people in towns like Sinton, Taft, Refugio and Odem, and truth be told, CC is NOT all roses and shangrila. I was speaking based on observations that I have made that differ from the haven, and is is not the 'norm.' Most people reality is not based on your view of South Texas, and there is nothing wrong with it. I too enjoy church, and BBQ's and football. However you have to paint a realistic picture of Cc, and other surrounding areas also.

Crime, and the job market down here is an abomination, and the education that most get by with is lacking.
I have at least 4 clients a month 15-17 pregnant, and not in school, and have no hopes of going back.
I am still here after 8 years because I live in Ingleside, and I have 2 boys who like it down here, because their is hope for the younger generation,
they are open minded and don't see seem to see their way as the only way.
I have no interest in bars, and bright lights, but I do recognize the needs and whats going on in the lives of those around me, and to me that should be the old school South Texas way, you have to tell the story from all sides.
Whilst I do agree with your points largerly, especially on your post before this last one (regarding how people seemed somewhat encouraged to live a lifestyle of assistance), this is how it is in many other communities as well, but perhaps a bit more so here in S. Texas. Although, this cannot be said for everyone, there is alot of handouts that do occur here.

I moved here back in March of 2009, already with a decent job, so I suppose that does separate me from what you are talking about. However, with a family of 4, we were still barely above "low" income levels. My wife, who hasn't worked in 7 years, decided to start her own business (no, she doesn't have a college degree, or any real business background), and she has been quite successful (she runs a unique cleaning business here in Portland). Thus, we have elevated our income status well above where we were, and are doing "decent" now.

I think the biggest problem down here are people's lack of motivation, and the generational mindset that has been going on for a long time. S. Texas is alot different than other parts of the state, and everything seems to move at a much slower pace, including change. Hopefully your sons will stay here, and be an ispiration to those who have the "old" mindset, and make our area a more progressive one.

Ian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or