U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 09:43 PM

4 posts, read 26,014 times

Advertisements

Here's an update....

We've been living on the island since late October and loving it. Living out here is truly a different experience from the congested area of Corpus that lays along the SPID, yet all the shops are there when you want them across the bridge.

There's a bunch of good restaurants out here and living on the channel is a great experience.

As for school, there is a Charter school for elementary that is great and a non-public pre-school on the island. There is also a middle school, but I don't know much about it. As for Flour Bluff, the schools are very highly rated over there, and they do bus for high school.

If you are looking for a house for a family, most of the families live down near Gypsy park. The people here are extremely friendly and if you spend any time at the park with your kids you will meet many of them.

The only downsides out here are the narrow streets (people drive way too fast in the neighborhoods), painful burrs in the grass areas that make it impossible to walk a dog in the parks, and lack of a real grocery store on the island.

These things are easily overcome by riding bikes with the kids on the dead end streets, going to the beach with the dog, and going to HEB plus in Flour Bluff / using CVS on the island for the small things.

I'm glad I made the decision to live out here on the island as it is way better than the suburban blah that is Kings crossing.

The "island" is a very special place to live and if you're looking for a great community to raise your kids, the island is that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 10:05 AM

15,246 posts, read 17,428,573 times
So glad you're loving it!

Old 01-26-2011, 10:44 AM

484 posts, read 1,414,539 times
I'm glad this is working for you,,, welcome to CC.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:40 PM

8,578 posts, read 6,173,562 times
Default Nice

How nice of you to take the time to come back on and let us know how it worked out for you. So many don't. It's good that you and your family are happy at the coast!

Old 06-15-2011, 07:56 PM

1 posts, read 2,583 times
Still like living on Padre Island?? Your posting is leading us in that direction. I have a 9,8,4 and 3 year old. Thanks!

Old 12-03-2012, 11:25 PM

2 posts, read 4,373 times
Greetings Islanders,
My Husband and I are preparing to move to North Pradre Island from Scottsdale Arizona. We are use to coastal living. We spend great amount of time travel traveling the Sea of Cortez on our boat. Our son lives in San Antonio, therefore, we have decided after a lifetime of being Sun Devils, we desire to be closer to our grandchildren.
I have been researching online, for a two bedroom long term rental (1 year) on the water with boat dock. While we test the waters, so to speak. Needless to say its been tuff. Is it possible, that such properties are hard to come by, or is it most are looking for vacationers? I say this do to the numerous called an emailed sent to Real Estate Companies and etc.. Yet, I receive replies marketing us to rent weekly at weekender pricing, when I do receive a reply. Have become very frustrate! Can someone give us some advice, please.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:21 AM

1,678 posts, read 3,602,694 times
The only problem I can see you having, Cordina, is you are in competition for housing with the "Winter Texans" that come down from the northern states every winter. They tend to flock to those rental homes first on the Island, so housing can become rather scarce (you would have better luck buying at this point, I would venture).

You might check out apartments, or perhaps you should look elsewhere nearby; Flour Bluff, Portland, Ingleside, Aransas Pass... have you checked out Port Aransas listings?

Ian

Old 12-04-2012, 04:15 PM

16,760 posts, read 42,386,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordina View Post
Greetings Islanders,
My Husband and I are preparing to move to North Pradre Island from Scottsdale Arizona. We are use to coastal living. We spend great amount of time travel traveling the Sea of Cortez on our boat. Our son lives in San Antonio, therefore, we have decided after a lifetime of being Sun Devils, we desire to be closer to our grandchildren.
I have been researching online, for a two bedroom long term rental (1 year) on the water with boat dock. While we test the waters, so to speak. Needless to say its been tuff. Is it possible, that such properties are hard to come by, or is it most are looking for vacationers? I say this do to the numerous called an emailed sent to Real Estate Companies and etc.. Yet, I receive replies marketing us to rent weekly at weekender pricing, when I do receive a reply. Have become very frustrate! Can someone give us some advice, please.
Check out Rockport and Fulton. They are on the NW side of Aransas Bay, a very nice community, we kept our sailboat there for 3 years. There area quite a few houses with docks, but you could easily expand your options if you kept your boat at one of the marinas and looked for a house to rent nearby.

Ingleside on the Bay, East of Corpus Christi Bay is another option.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:56 PM

2 posts, read 4,373 times
Thank You for your quick replies, we truly appreciate your views. We have spoke with a few marina's to slip one of our boats. Our small boat we would want dock next to our residence. I guess, another question I have is when do your winter visitor live? We encounter the same here in Scottsdale, our snowbird leave in April.

I will investigate all your recommendations? If I may, I would like to ask if any of you just so happen to come across something in North Padre, would you so kindly post here?

Again,Thank You Kindly
Cordina

Old 12-10-2012, 05:20 AM

2,601 posts, read 7,687,753 times
Flour Bluff is a good district -I was an area school board member. North Beach seems more for retired people than families and its not a short drive to downtown. Think I would prefer Rockport Portland or ingleside- Portland is more expensive though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi