U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 08:33 AM

484 posts, read 1,416,615 times

Advertisements

Well, it's finally happening in CC, actually I thought it was inevitable. The city is now mailing out traffic citation based on photos taken at intersections by those cameras they started installing a couple of years ago. My wife got a ticket in the mail the other day because she made a right turn on red after not coming to as complete a stop as she perhaps should have.

Words to the wise,,, Big Brother is watching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 08:51 AM

11,431 posts, read 16,918,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtx View Post
Well, it's finally happening in CC, actually I thought it was inevitable. The city is now mailing out traffic citation based on photos taken at intersections by those cameras they started installing a couple of years ago. My wife got a ticket in the mail the other day because she made a right turn on red after not coming to as complete a stop as she perhaps should have.

Words to the wise,,, Big Brother is watching.
If I were you, I'd try to find alternate routes where you don't have to approach those intersections. This is nothing but a money grabber. If they weren't interested in the $$, they would issue a warning for the "first time" and then fines after that if you repeat the offense.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:03 PM
SOM

124 posts, read 429,108 times
I believe these will be gone as soon as the contracts expire. The TX legislature has banned them!

I have received two, and will not pay them. One was a right turn on red, one was somewhat more legit (I was on Ocean Drive at Doddridge, going a little too fast in rainy weather and vacillated over slam on the brakes/run the light, and ended up running the light).

These are civil (not criminal) citations. The city is pretty much powerless to collect, and they do not show up on your driving record. I've heard that the state has agreed to not re-register a car if the owner has an outstanding camera citation. We just sent in our registration and are waiting to see if this is true.

I'm all for fessing up and paying the price if a cop tickets me for something, but I DETEST these things.

Old 09-10-2010, 02:30 PM

220 posts, read 407,793 times
If I got one I wouldnt pay it. As far as I'm concerned they are a tax on Texan citizens for the benefit of an out of state private corporation with the city government getting a kickback for allowing it to happen.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:16 PM

Quote:
I believe these will be gone as soon as the contracts expire. The TX legislature has banned them!
SOM, do you have a link to support this?

Old 09-10-2010, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtx View Post
SOM, do you have a link to support this?
Texas Legislature Ends Red Light Cameras | The Truth About Cars

According to this article written in May 2009, no city can enter into a new contract after June 01, 2009. However, existing contracts will go to term. We can thank Rep Sol Ortiz Jr for this. Looks like he sponsored it.

Old 09-11-2010, 01:16 AM

220 posts, read 407,793 times
IIRC alot of cities immediately renewed their contracts for 20 years, unfortunately. I'm not sure what the situation in Corpus is though. Hopefully someday they will change the law that gets rid of them immediately.

Old 09-11-2010, 08:35 PM

Texas Legislature Ends Red Light Cameras | The Truth About Cars
Thank you

Old 09-15-2010, 03:15 PM

65 posts, read 265,917 times
Does anyone know specifically which intersections are graced by these obnoxious contraptions? There are the big white stand-alone things that look like cameras that I've seen in a few spots (Cimarron and Saratoga, and I think maybe Weber and Saratoga?) but it looks like every traffic light has a small camera on top of it. Are just the big ones the actual "red light cameras" that catch ticketable behavior?

Agreed with whoever said they're simply a money grab; they have nothing to do with safety. I've heard about studies (too lazy for links, sorry) that found that they actually increase accidents as people are slamming on their brakes, etc, to avoid the ticket. We need to get rid of the darn things before local governments get too used to the revenue stream and start depending on it--then they'll never go away.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by team_evans View Post
Does anyone know specifically which intersections are graced by these obnoxious contraptions? There are the big white stand-alone things that look like cameras that I've seen in a few spots (Cimarron and Saratoga, and I think maybe Weber and Saratoga?) but it looks like every traffic light has a small camera on top of it. Are just the big ones the actual "red light cameras" that catch ticketable behavior?

Agreed with whoever said they're simply a money grab; they have nothing to do with safety. I've heard about studies (too lazy for links, sorry) that found that they actually increase accidents as people are slamming on their brakes, etc, to avoid the ticket. We need to get rid of the darn things before local governments get too used to the revenue stream and start depending on it--then they'll never go away.
The small cameras that you see are merely "traffic cameras". They are not "gotcha traps". The gotcha traps are clearly marked, by law I think. I only know about a few: Saratoga & Cimarron, Yorktown & Cimarron, Holly & Weber, Everhart & Weber. There may be more that I'm not aware of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi