U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 06:00 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,606,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtx View Post
sbd,

Since your job will be near the airport I 'd not recommend you consider Portland or Port "A", as the commute would be brutal. Your drive time from Harbor Landing (Oso Bay area) to Bear Ln would be about 15 minutes on average. Except during the Christmas season, SPID @ Staples is home to the largest shopping mall in town and during the months of Nov and Dec traffic can get backed up pretty good during the Christmas season.

I hope this helps.
How do you figure the drive from Portland being "brutal"? I live in Portland, drive clear out to the 5 Points area in Calallen 4-5 times a week for work. It takes me about 22 minutes. The drive to the airport isn't that bad. I could understand from Port A being bad, but thats another 20 minutes!

Trust me, it isn't brutal, and the OP should really consider Portland, as it is in a nice area, has alot to offer, INCLUDING APARTMENTS.

Ian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 07:21 PM

484 posts, read 1,416,615 times
No possible explanation for lack of ppl in the pictures,,, there are lots of people here. We do drive on our beaches, on any given day in the summer, you will be hard pressed to find a parking spot on the Padre Island beach. We love our beach.

We tend to just drive down the beach and find a spot beside the surf, back up onto our own little private beach place, spread our blankets, fire up the BBQ, and make friends with the nearest neighbor. You just have to experience it to understand.

We even take the dog.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:27 PM

484 posts, read 1,416,615 times
Quote:
How do you figure the drive from Portland being "brutal"? I live in Portland, drive clear out to the 5 Points area in Calallen 4-5 times a week for work. It takes me about 22 minutes. The drive to the airport isn't that bad. I could understand from Port A being bad, but thats another 20 minutes!

Trust me, it isn't brutal, and the OP should really consider Portland, as it is in a nice area, has alot to offer, INCLUDING APARTMENTS.
The harbor bridge is under re-construction now,,, again. Last time I was over there it was down to one lane, took 20 minutes to make the crossing. Sorry, just the way I see it.

Old 09-22-2010, 05:16 AM

1,678 posts, read 3,606,950 times
I cross the Harbor Bridge everyday. Just like any traffic one has to deal with (take SPID for example), there can be traffic at peak times that cause a slowdown in movement. Further, the bridge WILL be fixed before long, and this will be a non-existant issue, where as other areas of town that have traffic congestion (Ever go on Baldwin around 8am towards Del Mar?? HORRENDOUS traffic!!!), will not see an ease in it.

Sorry, just the way I see it

Ian

Old 09-23-2010, 10:34 PM

12 posts, read 29,514 times
Hey everybody, I want to thank you for all your helpful comments on this thread and others. I'll be moving to CC area within the next 2 months. Next week we fly down to look for a house. I have a 6 yr old so I'm largely interested in houses located in the very good to excellent schools. I'm leaning heavy Calallen and the Southside of CC. Any comments?
My husband is concerned about "storm surge" and flooding and since y'all have been getting a bunch of rain lately, how are these areas holding up? Is there any place I should avoid?
And then there is housing prices; generally speaking, have y'all been experiencing the sluggish housing market like other places or has your market prices held fairly stable? I'm wondering if your prices are tied to San Antonio in some way because they seem a little higher than the pan handle or Houston area?

Old 09-24-2010, 08:04 AM

15,246 posts, read 17,452,454 times
You'd be safe from a storm surge in Calallen and if you stay far enough from the Nueces River you won't have a problem with flooding during a heavy rain. Some of the neighborhoods near Oso Creek on the far south side had a lot of flooding last week. The amount of rain we got was unprecedented, but that doesn't mean it can't happen again.

Welcome to town! I hope you like it here.

Old 09-25-2010, 05:12 PM

163 posts, read 622,470 times
Agreed with Marlow. Calallen has stayed safe from the recent flooding thankfully and we usually do with a few exception areas (Labonte Park, etc.).

Old 09-27-2010, 03:07 PM

4 posts, read 8,480 times
Don't take Sawgrass...I currently live there....the apartments are nice, but nothing every gets done if its broken. Actually love the atmosphere. Heard Sugar Tree was better.

Old 09-28-2010, 06:13 PM

6 posts, read 10,034 times
Well, I am in CC, nice town. Everything you need in close proximity. As of Monday, I will be a full time resident here . I decided on the Christiwood apartments. Just liked the design and seemed nice enough. Maybe some of us on here can get together one day and you can show me the town

Old 09-29-2010, 08:11 AM

15,246 posts, read 17,452,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdb3739 View Post
Well, I am in CC, nice town. Everything you need in close proximity. As of Monday, I will be a full time resident here . I decided on the Christiwood apartments. Just liked the design and seemed nice enough. Maybe some of us on here can get together one day and you can show me the town
Congratulations and welcome! Hope everything works out very well for you here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi