U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2007, 05:56 PM

10 posts, read 30,452 times

Advertisements

HI all- My husband and i have just bought a house in corpus. We are moving from south florida and are very excited but I am a bit nervous. My husband is in the a/c field and the idea is for him to eventually open up his own business but I cannot seem to find any types of jobs in my field. I have a Fashion design and production mngmt degree from NYC. I have worked for Tommy Hilfiger in NCY for 4 years right out of college, at the GAP offices in Miami and am now at a small Hosiery and seamless wear company. Can any locals suggest any companies in Corpus that could fit my education and background? I would really appreciate it!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 06:44 PM

304 posts, read 1,052,049 times
Default changeofpace

When you get to Corpus stop in the chamber of commerce, they may have some ideas for you. As you drive around Corpus, if you see a business of interest, just go in and present youself. I did that my first trip and was hired on the spot in my field. My wife owns a consulting business and when we stopped in the chamber they provided her with a numerous client leads and 2 places offered her a position should she decide she wanted to work for someone else and not for herself once we are there. As the chamber and some locals told us on our first visit "Corpus has all the "worker bees" but few professionals and management types with education and experience. Two people with the company I work for are also moving to Corpus this fall and they were both hired on the spot by walking into businesses and presenting themselves to the employers. Good luck.

Old 07-04-2007, 10:50 AM

thanks change of pace. This really helps. We plan on moving down in about 6 months or so. We bought a fixer upper in the del mar area and need to get all renovations done before hand and while taking advantage of our good paying jobs here in fla. I am definitely open to changing fields, into something I can easily transfer my management and related skills. If you happen to run across anything pls let me know. Maybe I'll open up a little boutique...I think there is a lot of potential in corpus and we're tired of the inflated cost of living in florida. Take care!

Old 07-04-2007, 02:00 PM

304 posts, read 1,052,049 times
Default changeofpace

Your not by chance renovating a home on Southern just a few houses from Ocen Drive are you? We loved Del Mar but couldnt find anything there and the one home we were interested in sold before we returned to Corpus to look at it. We will be in Corpus sometime in Oct and already have joined the chamber so will keep you in mind. Not sure if there is a market for small shops but my wife was also thinking about opening a small shop near the Del Mar or Larma neighborhoods. We are not suburban, big box retailer kind of shoppers. We like the small, mom and pop shops and mom and pops resturants and coffee shops. Corpus seemed to be lacking these types of shops and eateries but that may change in the next few years.

Old 07-04-2007, 02:16 PM

232 posts, read 946,281 times
Good luck withthe job hunt ! We have been here 3 months and my wife has not even had 1 interview.
I am also in the a/c field. Who is he going to be working for ?
I work out at CCAD for The Boeing Company.
Maybe my wife and you could put your heads together for employment ?

Old 07-04-2007, 04:12 PM

Hi change of pace, yes it's on southern near alameda. Thanks for keeping me in mind. We plan on going down in August to start on some of the projects. My cousin lives in Corpus and from what she and my realtor tell me there aren't many shops to choose from and they're usually geared toward the 55+ age range which is strange to me being that texas A&M and del mar college are there. Anyway we're excited.

HI scubashawn husband doesn't have a job yet since we're not planning on moving right now. I'm sure once we have the house almost done we'll both start looking. I am sure your wife will find a great job. I've heard the a/c industry is pretty good, not just because of the heat, but because most of the houses are old and need new systems or a lot of serivce calls.

I will look both of you guys up when we get closer to moving. Happy 4th of July.

Old 07-05-2007, 05:10 AM

232 posts, read 946,281 times
I misunderstood you....I thought you meant aircraft industry(a/c)..LOL

Old 07-05-2007, 08:11 PM

LOL- I was wondering.....but since there are a/c systems everywhere it fit..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi