U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 09:46 AM

25 posts, read 92,125 times

Advertisements

I see lots of posts about the cost of living being very low. Cannot find how though. I have found that insurance is costly, and that property taxes are a little on the high side. What are folks using as the measure? Most of the homes are older, so probably rent is where it should be. Income for income/city for city how do I decide if the move is right finance wise? Thanks to all.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2007, 03:36 PM

304 posts, read 1,052,049 times
Default changeofpace

We chose Corpus for our relocation based on price of new homes, property taxes, income taxes, business taxes (wife owns her own business), gasoline prices, grocery prices and retirement taxes. Corpus was cheaper than San Antonio, DFW, Austin and Houston (although we never even considered living in Houston). Salaries are a little higher in the other cities but so are home prices and property taxes.

Old 07-08-2007, 07:34 AM

434 posts, read 1,628,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by falnlovewtx View Post
I see lots of posts about the cost of living being very low. Cannot find how though. I have found that insurance is costly, and that property taxes are a little on the high side. What are folks using as the measure? Most of the homes are older, so probably rent is where it should be. Income for income/city for city how do I decide if the move is right finance wise? Thanks to all.
I think it must be relevant to where you are moving from. I thought cost of living was very high in Corpus. It was higher for me than in Dallas and pay was less in Corpus. I don't know why people think the cost of living is good. It might look good if you are looking at the "whole" Corpus statistic instead of by zip code but that isn't really an accurate picture. I found that utilities were unbelievable, housing was high, insurance very high, and property taxes were staggering. Even the food at the grocery was more. I think because it is on the coast people expect it to be higher, of course you still have to drive an hour to get to a decent beach so?? It's just my opinion but dragging me back to Corpus would look like a cat going to a bath.

Old 07-08-2007, 09:23 AM

Default changeofpace

I am not talking statistics or hypotheticals, I am talking comparing particular homes and taxes on those homes as well as prices of gas, utilities and groceries. We actually did a comparison of exact same price homes on same lots with same square footage and compared gas and groceries the same week and the same stores buying the exact same items. Of course salaries can differ between jobs, but in my case it was the exact same job for the exact same salary. I am semi-retiring so only have to work another 12 years. My wife owns her own business and for her the cost of leasing office space was also cheaper in Corpus than in Harlingen, McAllen or San Marcos. We loved San Marcos but the homes were more, property taxes more and the commute to Austin would be a real pain.

Old 07-08-2007, 02:59 PM

232 posts, read 946,281 times
Ok... here's my perspective....I am a recent Corpus resident.
The cost of living here is VERY low compared to anywhere I have ever lived...and I lived in L.A., Seattle, Phoenix and Savannah. Yes the property taxes are high, but everything else is low. House prices are VERY low and I was a Realtor. Someone mentioned that Corpus is lower than San Antonio....House prices are actually lower in San Antonio and Houston. Austin is alittle higher though. Keepin mind there is NO state income tax if you are employed.

Old 07-10-2007, 08:04 AM

1,949 posts, read 4,859,178 times
i have a question. what does an average electric bill look like during the summer months (for a person who likes to stay cool). in El Paso, it was like 100 dollars or less. where i live now, in Presidio (serious contender for America's worst ****hole), it can be 300 dollars or higher. plus my water/sewer bill is around 60 dollars.

this info would be useful as i am considering relocation to Corpus based in large part on the "bang for your buck" as it relates to housing.

Old 07-10-2007, 06:57 PM

It really depends on the size of your home.....Mine is 1900 sq ft and it has been running close to 300....but we have children and do a lot of laundry etc....

Old 07-10-2007, 07:19 PM

Default changeofpace

Electric and natural gas is like gasoline prices, they fluctuate and rise based on demand. You have to compare electric and natural gas prices on the same day with the same weather conditions to get accurate comparisons.

Old 07-12-2007, 08:25 AM

30 posts, read 103,257 times
Cost of living in Corpus isn't low for what you get. Utilities and taxes are over the roof and the house prices were more than in San Antonio which is unbelievable.

Old 07-12-2007, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linders_m View Post
Cost of living in Corpus isn't low for what you get. Utilities and taxes are over the roof and the house prices were more than in San Antonio which is unbelievable.
Sorry but I have to disagree......

Cost of living here is very low....maybe not as low as San Antonio..but its quite low compared to most large US cities.

Try a website that has cost of living calculators.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi