Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 11:17 PM

9 posts, read 27,141 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am considering relocating to CC. Do you think Corpus may be a good fit for me?

I am 29, single, Ph.D., myriad work experiences. Having lived in Kansas my entire life, I need a change and love the sea, warm weather, even high humidity. I intend to find basic work (about anything, I am flexible) initially before starting my own business or practice in an environmental enterprise and/or counseling soon.

I am visiting Corpus next week to feel out the city. The cost of living is appealing, so is the real estate, which will be in my near future. I won't know anyone in CC, so obviously will try my best to make friends. I am curious about the social scene - hopefully one exists.

Insight and opinion appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 09:09 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,322,498 times
singles scene is one of the worst for a city its size. i live 30 min south and work in Corpus and my fellow single nurses all complain that this is the WORST place they have seen for singles. i am single and have just given up going out anywhere........until i move!

Old 06-29-2007, 11:47 AM

232 posts, read 992,709 times
I have seen lots of single women here....so maybe it would be good for a singler guy.....

Old 06-29-2007, 01:36 PM

Thanks for the input.

Bellestar, in your experience, does the scene lack due to lack of singles, or lack of places to go meet them?

Scuba, sounds like you have a favorable impression of CC and what it has to offer. How would you recommend meeting people and making friends in Corpus?

Old 06-29-2007, 03:06 PM

434 posts, read 1,732,330 times
If I had options I wouldn't move to Corpus. I'm sure there are people who love it but I was miserable there. I have moved A LOT for work over the years and have always been able to find something positive about ANY place...except Corpus. Couldn't get out of there fast enough! (Sorry Corpus-ites no offense intended.)

Old 06-29-2007, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clawson26 View Post
If I had options I wouldn't move to Corpus. I'm sure there are people who love it but I was miserable there. I have moved A LOT for work over the years and have always been able to find something positive about ANY place...except Corpus. Couldn't get out of there fast enough! (Sorry Corpus-ites no offense intended.)
Care to give examples? For instance, City A has this, Corpus does not.

This is knowledge that concerns me considering I am thinking of moving there!

Old 06-29-2007, 11:11 PM

304 posts, read 1,122,490 times
Default chageofpace

Since you have a Ph.D. and will be eventually starting your own business, you more than likely know the importance of networking and having an outgoing personality. We are also relocating to Corpus (dont know anybody other than the real estate agent, the mortgage broker, the president of the chamber of commerce and my new boss) but I have no trouble in situations where I dont know anybody in the room or a new neighborhood, I make the effort and often times initiate an introduction and conversation. My wife is a self employed consultant who works out of our home and likewise knows the importance of networking and introducing herself to strangers. If I were single, I would not rely on nightclubs or bars to find friends (yes I have met a friend or 2 at a nightclub) but rather attend social events and gatherings and let everyone know your new to Corpus. Most people who have trouble meeting people dont put in the effort to find and make new friends. "Make new friends, but keep the old, one is silver, the other gold".

Old 06-30-2007, 08:06 AM

16 posts, read 62,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawson26 View Post
Agreed. Hated Corpus!

Old 06-30-2007, 10:29 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,916,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freethink View Post
Hello,

I am considering relocating to CC. Do you think Corpus may be a good fit for me?

I am 29, single, Ph.D., myriad work experiences. Having lived in Kansas my entire life, I need a change and love the sea, warm weather, even high humidity. I intend to find basic work (about anything, I am flexible) initially before starting my own business or practice in an environmental enterprise and/or counseling soon.

I am visiting Corpus next week to feel out the city. The cost of living is appealing, so is the real estate, which will be in my near future. I won't know anyone in CC, so obviously will try my best to make friends. I am curious about the social scene - hopefully one exists.

Insight and opinion appreciated. Thanks in advance!
i was born and raised there and couldn't wait to get out. my parents still live there, so i do visit once in a while. i left when i was 19 and will never go back. if i had to say that some of the things that i can put my finger on that i don't like about corpus. first of all, i don't feel like corpus is connected to the rest of the world. if you look at the movies they play at teh local cinema, they only play to teenagers. there will be no arthouse, european, michael moore documentaries, adult dramas showing there. i guess the theater owners think that the corpus christians are too stupid and will only watch the mindless crap that hollywood puts out. many people's idea of fun is to go over to a friend's house, get drunk and rent movies. i have heard many younger people, my sister included that can hardly wait to go to austin or san antonio for the weekend. the people there are too religious (mainly catholic) and judgmental if you don't follow the dogma of their cult. there is no variety of restaurants. all of the city's retail is centered in one area only. there is only 1 starbucks store for the whole city. the people there drive very slow. they are stuck in a time warp and will not listen to differing opinions. i am now used to a variety in my life. if i lived there, i would need to dumb down to enjoy living in corpus.

Old 06-30-2007, 01:04 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,598,688 times
I couldn't wait to get out of Corpus either and left when I was 18, got an education, worked in several cities and moved back when I was 34 and single. When I moved back, I saw some old friends, made some new friends, dated a lot and met and married my husband. All of the single people I hung out with when I moved back have married as well. Corpus is NOT San Antonio, Austin, Dallas or Houston. But it's not an illiterate backwater town either. My only concern for the OP is that if you are looking for people with your level of education, you won't find many, unless you hang out at the university. Corpus is a blue-collar town. Of course there are doctors, lawyers, engineers and teachers here, too, but the economy is based on the refineries, agriculture, the military and tourism.

If you like water and beach related activities you'll have plenty to do. If you're looking for high-end shopping and stimulating coffee-shop talk you'll disappointed. If I were you I'd visit for at least a few days and try to find a time when the university is in session. They have a big environmental program out there and you might get a better feel for the job market and social scene by talking to some students or professors out there. Good luck making a decision and feel free to ask more particular questions or PM me if you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi