U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 11:25 AM

16,760 posts, read 42,363,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I have not eaten at that many seafood restaurants in Corpus, I would be surprised if there are no decent ones. And I'm not an expert on seafood by any means, but the shrimp we have had at Snoopy's Pier was as good as any we had in Rockport.
I just wanted to add that last spring I tried the Mahi-Mahi at Snoopy's Pier and it was a disappointment. I will stick with their shrimp in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 06:21 PM

2,944 posts, read 4,487,892 times
I just ate at Johnny D's on North Padre last Saturday. It was very good, probably one of the best seafood restaurants in the whole Corpus Christi area, especially if you like seafood that isn't fried. I had Red Snapper with a spicy Shrimp and Crab sauce and my wife had the Seafood pasta. It was all very well done. The place is a little more upscale and pricey then your typical family friendly Corpus Christi beach fare, but I think it was well worth it. We got there late, around 9:00, and there weren't that many people there. The dining area is kind of small compared to the size of the property, so I hope people will go there and help them stay in business. Don't get me wrong, I like fried shrimp and crab cakes as much as the next guy, but I'd like to see a locally owned and more upscale seafood restaurant survive and thrive in the area.

Johnny D's By the Sea
15605 S Padre Island Dr # A, Corpus Christi, TX 78418-7727
(361) 949-2500 ‎

Old 06-24-2011, 08:08 PM

12,820 posts, read 6,187,122 times
Seafood is very subjective - some like it boiled, some like it fried, some want it with a fancy sauce, some want stuff from the ocean that is not even local. Some only want seafood salads, some want a great view, some are concerned with price and ambiance, some don't care.

I ate my wedding supper at the King's Inn
I ate my Prom dinner at Ship Ahoy on the Bay (which was brand new and the fancy place in town). My folks had dinner dates at Ship Ahoy downtown.

I used to take out of town guests to the Tarpon Inn where everyone sat at long tables and it was a one price deal.
I now send friends traveling to Corpus to the Yardarm for a 'fancy touch', to Blackbeards for the great fried stuff & La Playa for amazing Mexican style fish/sauce dishes. I've never really been disappointed at Water Street, so am pleased to recommend it.

It's all subjective, and important to remember that the 'cook' is the key to the meal ..... cooks can change often.
Cooks DON'T change at Yardarm, but it's also not really well known unless you have been around a long time. They don't advertise at all - good reason for that - they don't have to.

Seafood is in the eye of the beholder - but who cares? It's so great to eat that it's worth stopping at any interesting place and giving it a try - I always ask what is best, most places will tell you what the customers constantly come in for - return business in the lifeblood of any restaurant. I travel to Corpus often these days and never have enough time to get to all my favorite seafood joints.

Old 06-25-2011, 07:28 AM

3,219 posts, read 8,150,628 times
This is the biggest mystery to me, How can a city on the sea has so bad seafood reestaurants

Old 06-26-2011, 01:23 PM

136 posts, read 304,816 times
I wouldn't consider Water St. a proper seafood venue either FWIW. It's just as uptown and tourist trap-ish as Blackbeard's.

Try Rockport, Port A for some good stuff. My personal favorite is Charlotte Plummer's in Rockport. Awesome fish. Awesome shrimp and a salad bar to die for. It's awesome.

Old 07-04-2011, 12:25 PM

6,657 posts, read 11,987,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I just wanted to add that last spring I tried the Mahi-Mahi at Snoopy's Pier and it was a disappointment. I will stick with their shrimp in the future.
I ate at blackbeards on the beach once and had the blacky's garlic special. It was a bit weird, but they prepared the seafood itself very nicely.

In port A we just ate at the pelican club and really liked it.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:04 PM
SOM

124 posts, read 428,608 times
New seafood restaurant alert!!!

At Holly and Everhart there is a casual place called TailFins. Apparently it is a Water Street spin-off (I asked when I saw the Water Street Wedge Salad on the menu). They have the afore-mentioned salad + caldo + gumbo from the WS menu. Plus they have fried/blackened/grilled seafood baskets and a few other items.

My wife and I went there for the first time yesterday. She got 10 shrimp, hush puppies, and cole slaw for $6.99. I got the three fish taco special for $5. We left full and *very* pleased.

And.....what? Water Street = Blackbeard's? Blackbeard's is uptown???

Sorry, but I fail to see ANY similarity.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:01 AM

4,244 posts, read 4,983,911 times
Because it's from the Gulf.

Old 07-12-2011, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no cigar View Post
I wouldn't consider Water St. a proper seafood venue either FWIW. It's just as uptown and tourist trap-ish as Blackbeard's.

Try Rockport, Port A for some good stuff. My personal favorite is Charlotte Plummer's in Rockport. Awesome fish. Awesome shrimp and a salad bar to die for. It's awesome.
Agreed, I used to eat there as a kid a haven't been back to Rockport in over a decade. Finally went back this weekend and took my wife who has never been. It was very good, just as good as I remembered it. While not a big fried shrimp fan, I will say they have the best fried shrimp I've ever had. It was plump, fresh, and delicious.

Old 07-12-2011, 12:14 AM

Did the Sunday brunch at Water Street yesterday before heading home. I was pleasantly surprised. For $16 you could get all the oysters and shrimp you want, the omelette was good, and I still love their house dressing. The buffet offered quality food at a pretty low price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or