U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 08:11 AM

5 posts, read 9,473 times

Advertisements

I am a single mother of 4 children. I own a DJ company and a photo booth company here in Minnesota. We are getting by financially here.

I have wanted to move to C.C. for a very long time. I have never been there, so I do want to come and visit first. Where did I get this idea you might wonder? Well my Grandfather lived in Texas. He was always drawing me maps and telling me to please come down. He died when I was 16. My mother who is now widowed would move back down there. She is 83 and there is nothing left for her up here. I am responsible for taking care of her, and personally it's just too damn cold up here for her anymore. It's like a calling. I divorced an abusive husband a year ago. He is remarried and taking me to court over every little thing. That is his new form of abuse. Now he is taking me to court to make me sell my house. He gets nothing out of it financially. It's just that his name is still on the mortgage, and I haven't been able to refinance yet. So, I'm thinking..yeah maybe selling the house and moving isn't such a bad idea.

So, I have been applying for jobs online. I have a house picked out, have to sell mine. But I need to make sure that I have good employment down there.

I have been a DJ for 17 years. Do mobile DJs do well down there? Are there any photo booth rental companies for weddings? I don't see anything online.

I have a couple of degrees and am working on a 3rd. My first was an Associates in Railroad Engineering, Second was in Broadcasting and my third that I have 143 credits in now is in computer science. I am also currently working for FedEx.

Any ideas of employers that would need me? I would love to get into the technical end of railroads again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 06:52 PM

484 posts, read 1,416,615 times
Welcome to Texas.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:48 PM

16,761 posts, read 42,445,029 times
Corpus Christi <-- no "e" at the end.

I applaud your desire to improve your life. You should visit Corpus for awhile before deciding it is the place for you. You will love the weather most of the year and curse the heat/humidity in summer. I do think the area has a lot to offer the right person. You can see detailed demographics information here: //www.city-data.com/city/Corpus-Christi-Texas.html Pay attention to the racial distribution, that surprises many people.

See the age distribution and housing information here //www.city-data.com/housing/hou...sti-Texas.html

There is a fair amount of industry along the TX coast that I expect relies on rail service for part of its needs.

Looks like this company has an office in Corpus: RailWorks Offices | RailWorks Corporation (http://www.railworks.com/office-map-transit-systems-track-contractor-construction-address-phone-numbers-directions - broken link)

Other useful links which might be leads to jobs:

Corpus Christi Terminal Railroad - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Port of Corpus Christi - More than you can sea!

Corpus Christi Area Railroad Guide

Corpus Christi Railroad Jobs on CareerBuilder.com

Corpus Christi Terminal Railroad

I don't know anything about DJing or photo booths, maybe someone else can address those.

Best wishes, Ron

Old 01-14-2011, 11:26 PM

3 posts, read 12,731 times
I agree with CptnRn; you should definitely experiance Corpus for awhile before deciding to stay. I lived there for five years and I wouldn't suggest it to anyone with young children. The wages are on average very low (I work in nursing and made roughly half of what I did on the east coast where I am from), yet the rents are fairly high compared to what you can expect to earn. There was always a lot of crime for a city it's size, the downtown area is filthy, and drug use seems to be very casual. I do not know the exact numbers, I just know what I saw working in a hospital and living there. On a more positive note, the ocean is gorgeous, the winters make the terrible heat in the summers well worth it, and the people are very friendly. If you do decide to move there, try to find a rental (if you plan to rent) on the south side of town. It's cleaner and safer in general. Good luck!!
**just a question.. Have you possibly considered Austin or San Antonio instead??**

Old 01-15-2011, 02:04 PM

After thinking about this a bit more I wanted to add that if you can get a job lined up before you move, there would be nothing risky with your doing so if you can sell your house and get a job lined up before you move. Hopefully selling the house will give you a little bit of a nest egg for starting over. You are obviously a smart talented lady given the degree to which you have been able to educate yourself, while raising 4 kids. So I have no doubt that you will be able to make things work out. If you look at the Educational Attainment levels in Corpus, your education will give you an advantage here. //www.city-data.com/city/Corpus-Christi-Texas.html There are good, relatively safe places to live, I too would suggest South Corpus or Portland.

This thread will expose you to a range of opinions, good and bad about Corpus. //www.city-data.com/forum/corpu...lace-move.html

Old 01-24-2011, 09:59 PM

61 posts, read 171,265 times
not to sound negative, but corpus isn't that great at all. let's just say that the "economy" of corpus is stagnant, there is little growth here because old farts who don't want change always scare buisnesses away. don't come here, your children will have no future here!

Old 01-25-2011, 08:00 AM

5 posts, read 9,473 times
Thank You all for your input! I had considered San Antonio area as well. My grandfather left some land in Bandera that I could put a house on if I decided to. That would save me quite a bit of money if I could find employment there.

We are coming down for a visit in March! I am bringing my mother and 4 children. We will then stop in Bandera, San Antonio, and Corpus Christi to visit the area and enjoy. My mother has talked of Texas and how great it is all her life. She is going to be 85 this year. I want her remaining years to be happy ones.

I am very proud of my children. My 16 year old son is in the Civil Air Patrol and this year he will have his Eagles in scouting. When I divorced he knew he was losing his college funding. But he has decided to enlist in the marines first to pay for his college education. He wants to be an attorney. My 13 year old son is also in scouting and helps me greatly with taking care of his brother and sister in the mornings when I have to be to work early. We are a close bound family. I am not afraid of my children getting involved in drugs or crime. I am afraid of someone hurting my children though.

We do have a very good guard dog. Even up here we were burglarized. She woke me up in time to stop the guy. We found out that indeed she does bite!

Thank you for all the links! I applied for at least 10 jobs on line yesterday. I will click on the links and see what C.C. has to offer.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:46 AM

Sadly the part of Texas around Bandera has been hit pretty hard by drought the last couple of years. Getting a reliable water supply for the land could be an issue, depending on where it is located.
Here is a drought map. State Drought Monitor (http://www.drought.unl.edu/dm/DM_state.htm?TX,S - broken link)

I'm not all that familiar with Bandera, but some parts of that area south of Kerrville are really pretty, such as Lost Maples park West of there.

Best wishes with the job applications.

Old 01-25-2011, 11:30 AM

Curious about Bandera, I took a look at the City-Data demographics page. //www.city-data.com/city/Bandera-Texas.html I was surprised at how small a place it is in population. Probably not many jobs there.

Old 01-25-2011, 04:29 PM

680 posts, read 1,593,149 times
Bandera is beautiful. Nice little town. Let us know what the land looks like, I know many people who long for just a little piece of property in the Hill Country. You might want to look seriously at SA just to be near it. I also moved to TX from MN, about 6 months ago. Not missing the winters yet!

Also, if you move to Bandera, it would be possible to commute to Kerrville which is the biggest town in the Hill Country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi