Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 09:33 AM

8 posts, read 5,519 times

Advertisements

HI, I have lived in Rockport twice and now Corpus. Yes the roaches are terrible here. You have to keep everything in the kitchen protected as they get everywhere even in the dishwasher! Have had the place sprayed professionally 3 times in the last month plus we spray as well. Tried the borax thing, and nothing works for long. Going to try the plug in things next as have heard these work well because roaches evidently live and nest inside the walls. But to answer your question, the answer is a definite YES!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2016, 06:43 AM

965 posts, read 938,689 times
Ok, so this is a bit creepy to me. I live in a place where we really have no bugs (too cold most of the year). I have a small bowl that I keep compost in in the house, and can let it sit 3 days max without a problem. I am guessing that just could not happen in Corpus?

Does "everyone" spray, or get an exterminator? I hate that thought for myself, and my pets. Can you do without if you have killer cats? And if you use DE, essential oils, and or Borax?

My cats would be busy all day every day after them, so would my dogs. They are busy killing flies when they come in the house in the fall (the slowly dying ones).

If you have sprayed poison would that transfer from the cockroaches who survived to the pets? I can't exactly explain what I mean hopefully someone will understand? I know the question sounds silly.

A few people mentioned the walls of a house. Can they be treated like one would treat for termites, or is that overkill, pardon the pun? Would they just return, I am assuming they would so that would be why they don't tent a house. Just bug bombing a house makes me nervous. I know I would get over it, but I'd like to know the alternatives.

Old 08-26-2016, 12:22 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times
It depends on where you live and how old your house is. The older houses in older neighborhoods will have more roaches. We have pest control come quarterly and rarely see a roach inside. These roaches laugh at DE and Borax. We have pets and they have never gotten sick from the spraying.

Old 08-27-2016, 07:34 PM

626 posts, read 975,991 times
We lived in Corpus back in the 80's and loved it except for the roaches and red ants. The best thing I found for roaches are those little gel strips. Got that advise from an exterminator. The gel strips attract them, they take it back to their nests and it kills them all. I remember a neighbor left a little bit of water on her cupboard top, went away for the weekend and came back to a huge invasion of red ants in her kitchen. All from a couple drops of water on the cupboard! I got bit by one once, on my foot and half my leg swelled up.

Old 08-29-2016, 02:51 PM

738 posts, read 765,002 times
Really depends on vegetation around the house. More means more roaches. If you keep the house clean it will be ok. My cats kill them all as well and we spray maybe every few months to every year. Roaches long ago decided they didn't like Minnesota winters and came south. Are you as smart as they are?

Old 09-04-2016, 11:04 AM

1,678 posts, read 4,010,962 times
The cockroaches (as it were) here, are not your "typical" German cockroaches that invade food and scatter in the light. These are more of what you might find in southern Florida, a large flying variety. These type of cockroaches (what folks around here often refer to as "water bugs"), tend to end up in homes, because they are simply trying to get to the other side, and the building is an obstruction. They do not scatter when the lights are turned on, they do not invade your food supply, and they tend to move much slower. They also fly with outdoor lights on at night, and while they can look gnarly, are not the pests and disease carriers that the German cockroaches are.

Old 09-05-2016, 01:43 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,161,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyMack420 View Post
I was recently offered a job in CC. I visited years ago and really loved the warm weather ect. I currently live in Minneapolis, and i'm just tired of the cold winters. But after doing a lot of research into APT's...and it seems like every review talks about massive infestations of Tree roaches. I can handle them once and awhile, but I would lose it if i had to live with them all over, everyday. Can someone from South Texas please give me some info on this. It's really the only thing making me think twice about the move. Thank you!
I've been here 6 months, and haven't seen one yet, inside or outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi